• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BERTMAN

Freindly Stokie

BERTMAN

left my car in stoke a few nights ago and some prick decided to try and steal it, they failed but they did ram a screwdriver through the lock on the passenger side, which is now completley un-useable... the problem i have is that the door is not unlockable from the inside either as some of the door linkages are made of string (bodge from previous owner) or just missing...

the door was only able to be unlocked using the key... the c/l dosent open it either cos of said missing linkages

i was wondering is it possible to replace the lock on a door with the door closed? or should i just ram a screwdriver in the lock and try and undo it? im a lil stuck as to how i should go about trying to open the door?

any helpful advice would be appreciated...

Cheers

Liam

Peetypug

sorry to hear that mate.

We're not all that bad, what phase is it?

If you have to take all the bits off the inside of the door and ruin the doorcard i'll replace it and the linkages free of charge!

BERTMAN

hi mate, yeh its not too bad a place... i hate crewe more and i live right next to it lol.. just annoying!! where bouts are you from? its a phase 1.5 but its a 5door so ill doubt the parts are the same? u saying i can replace the lock but ill have to destroy the door card to do so?

Cheers

Liam

steve@cornwall
hi mate, yeh its not too bad a place... i hate crewe more and i live right next to it lol.. just annoying!! where bouts are you from? its a phase 1.5 but its a 5door so ill doubt the parts are the same? u saying i can replace the lock but ill have to destroy the door card to do so?

Cheers

Liam

It's not all bad news, you should be able to get to the inside of the door with it closed without damaging the door card - Ive done it on a 5 door.

You will need to take off the inside door pull/armrest and push the window seal clear of the card. gently lever the edge of the card away from the door until you can get yor fingers in and pull it carefully away as far as possible. You'll also need to bend the locking button slightly at intervals to get it out through the top of the door card. You should be able to get enough of the top rear corner of the card away to get your hand to the inside of the door skin and push the U bracket off the lock - pull the barrell through the door and lever off the white or grey plastic bar that carries the lock rod. Either replace the lock barrel from here - or feel around the latch mechanism inside the door, moving the various levers with your fingers until the door pops open

Peetypug

as steve says, it is quite easy.

I was offering just in case you did knacker something

I dont have any 5 door parts sorry :D

BERTMAN

ah ok cheers lads, dosent sound too difficult then, ill have ago tomorrow and see what happens!!

no prob pete, thanks for the offer!

Sign in to follow this