• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kanyeost

It Fell Off

kanyeost

I was driving along today in my 205 when I suddenly lost 5th gear, oh well stick it in 4th I thought, but not long after, that dissapeared too, as did 1st and 2nd, not wishing to continue my journey in just a very floppy 3rd I stopped and had a look at the gear box linkages: something quite important has fallen off.

Where the main control rod from the gear lever goes over the top of the front subframe it sits on top of a ball joint that sticks up from the subframe. This "stickey up ball thing" is now wobbling about like crazy. What I need to know is how does this ball attach to the subframe? it has a nut on it but I'm sure I've read it should be welded to the subframe?

If so is this going to be doable with the subframe still on the car? I might have access to a pit if I can get the engines out of it.

Any suggestions for a quick fix bodge to get me to work also appreciated. Cheers.

Jrod

It should be bolted on, just need a deep socket to get at it underneath.

steve@cornwall
It should be bolted on, just need a deep socket to get at it underneath.

IIRC a 13mm socket from underneath (there is a cut-out in the subframe) and a 14mm spanner up top to hold the ball.

Not too unusual for these to become loose

GLPoomobile

Hold yer horses boys, let's not confuse the fella! :rolleyes:

They /\ are talking about tightening up the bolt that hold the selector bracket (L shaped item with a ball on each end that the selector rods attach to). This does come loose and cause problems.

But they way I read your post, it sounds like you are saying that one of the actual balls on the L bracket has come loose. Is that correct? They are spot welded into the bracket so shouldn't come loose, though I suppose it's not impossible for the weld to break. Or perhaps someone has modified the bracket (DIY short shift) and fitted a new ball that is held in place by a nut on the back. Am I getting warm yet?

kanyeost

Thanks for the replys, I'll try and clarify, as I'm easily confused:

The bit I'm on about sticks up directly from the subframe. If the exhaust is used to divide the car into two halves it is on the transmission side of the car (items 5, 6, 7, D & E below) going into the selection bar at item 1 (or not as is the current situation).

On the cam belt side there is a second, unaffected (i think) linkage (items 10, 11, 12 & 13) which I'm not currently interested in.

I haven't had time to investigate properly, my temporary fixes were very temporary so I got towed by the RAC who said it needed welding and I took them at their word, lot more convenient if I can just do it up...

Ta.

gearlinkageMA.jpg

Edited by kanyeost

steve@cornwall
Hold yer horses boys, let's not confuse the fella! :(

They /\ are talking about tightening up the bolt that hold the selector bracket (L shaped item with a ball on each end that the selector rods attach to). This does come loose and cause problems.

But they way I read your post, it sounds like you are saying that one of the actual balls on the L bracket has come loose. Is that correct? They are spot welded into the bracket so shouldn't come loose, though I suppose it's not impossible for the weld to break. Or perhaps someone has modified the bracket (DIY short shift) and fitted a new ball that is held in place by a nut on the back. Am I getting warm yet?

Methinks your horses have broken free, Steve! :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken we're not talking about the 'L' bracket at all, but the single ball-jointed post to its right, as viewed from the front? If so, tighten it up as my above post, If 'tis the other one - ignore me altogether :D

I've actually bought cars as "needs a gearbox" as diagnosed by garages, where this has been the only problem :)

Edited by steve@cornwall

GLPoomobile

I'll get me coat.......

bren_1.3
I haven't had time to investigate properly, my temporary fixes were very temporary so I got towed by the RAC who said it needed welding and I took them at their word, lot more convenient if I can just do it up...

might be worth just tack welding it in place, even so.

kanyeost

Thanks for the info, I set about it tonight and it turns out it hadn't come undone (well maybe a bit), but instead some numpty in its previous life had fitted the ball without bothering with the washer on the bottom. The nut on its own has mangled the subframe and had almost pulled through completely. Some big washers and I'll be back in action hopefully.

Ta.

Patches
Hold yer horses boys, let's not confuse the fella! :huh:

Id like to poke my nose into this thread and ask for some advice please, Im having trouble with what I believe is the fat bolt that holds the selector bracket in. ( number 11 on the diagram above), me and a kind fellow member are trying to get this fooker to stop undoing itself ( tried thread lock, not working), it comes loose after only a few gear changes and has fallen out competely before. Getting a little tired of stopping every few minutes to tighten it up!

Any advice?

Cheers

steve@cornwall
Id like to poke my nose into this thread and ask for some advice please, Im having trouble with what I believe is the fat bolt that holds the selector bracket in. ( number 11 on the diagram above), me and a kind fellow member are trying to get this fooker to stop undoing itself ( tried thread lock, not working), it comes loose after only a few gear changes and has fallen out competely before. Getting a little tired of stopping every few minutes to tighten it up!

Any advice?

Cheers

Mine used to do this due to years of old oil and muck being baked in! Took it all apart, cleaned and re assembled with copper grease and it's been fine since

M_R_205

Mine kept coming loose too but thats because somone piled a load of washers on to tighten the play out of the L bracket, the bolt shoulder has to bottom out on the subframe otherwise it will keep comeing loose, while your at it its a good idea to fit some brass bushes to the L bracket, takes all the play out!!

Edit: when i say brass i mean bronze ebay item 230202949284

Edited by M_R_205

Sign in to follow this