• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Fitting A Dgas 38 Carb To A Xs

djinuk

i heard that this is a straight bolt on swap for the (unreliable) solex carb, just checking that this is the fact and wondering if anybody else has done it and how much joy they have had from it, im not after a performance increase , more of reliability increase of my xs is soon to be going back into the hand of the gf so , reliability and cold morning starts are a concern. Saying that i would really want to lose the fun of driving the xs , so i am just checking that also.

Just to add if somebody believe that this carb is not the way to go, then what is?, other thing is the webber rebuild kits are so easy to get and cost so little meaning a rebuild on the carb wouldnt really be a problem.

i think also i read the carb has a auto choke , how easy would that be to make work on a 205 xs?

bren_1.3

where's macaroni when you need him? AFAIK its not a totally straight forward bolt on job...did a search not reveal anything? im sure it must have been discussed a few times!??

Jrod

Never had problems with the solex carb my with the 4 different ones I've had. :)

From what I remember the carb is to big for the 1400 and caused Antony lots of problems, it wasn't until he had the 4 branch manifold and a lot of jetting later he got it to run smooth. I also think he had his dizzy recurved and a hotter cam, so with a standard engine I can't see it being a great idea.

For the price of buying a 38dgas you can buy a gasket kit from peugeot £40 ish

Edited by Jrod

GazRallye

I've had no probs with my carb either, think I may get hold of a kit and rebuild a spare one I have anyway...

This was posted on the AXOC about 2 months ago...

Righto, i have found a company that can supply carb kits for the ax carbs, gt solex - 32/34 Z2, the 1.0 and 1.1 solex, webber, whatever, etc....

i just phoned them up and they have 5 kits currently in stock, but more can be ordered and a bulk buy organised if theres enough interest?

the company is called Fuel parts uk, based in bromsgrove, worcestershire,

if u wanna call them up and get a price for your specific carb, the number is 01527 835555

Jrod

I spoke to Fuel and they were really rude so went to Peugeot instead.

Stu

I would have thought a 38DGAS would be much to big for anything other than a full race 1400 engine, these were fitted OE to the 3.0 Capri back in the day, and are still being used as an upgrade to warmed over pinto powered RS 2000's, so unless you choke it and jet it to death IMO it'd be overkill.

Whats up with the Solex?

Edited by stu da rude

GazRallye
I spoke to Fuel and they were really rude so went to Peugeot instead.

I personally had no experience with them but I was under the impression Peugeot didn't do them. How much did it set you back?

Jrod

They do as I only picked it up last Friday.

There are 2 kits, one doesnt have a diapragm and that cost about £40 (think it was 44 but will check later)

The other was £70 odd.

Mikey S
I personally had no experience with them but I was under the impression Peugeot didn't do them. How much did it set you back?

i have, and i wouldnt advise that anybody else does so. some parts they supply are crap.

Jrod

£44 and £70 are correct for Peugeot, if anyone wants the part numbers just ask.

GazRallye

whats the difference in the kits other than the diagram?

Jrod

That's it, the £70 one has more parts but most of them are for other carbs as its a universal kit I think.

djinuk

right ok, thanks for your help guys, im bringing the car off the road in 2 weeks and going to take the carb of and rebuild it, same goes for a few other things. So jrod you say best place for the rebuild kit is the peugeot boys themselves

Jrod

The best place for anything is peugeot IMO but you pay the price £££££!

Sign in to follow this