• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Billbatov

How Much For A New Gearbox?

Billbatov

Hi All, I'm reasonably sure my Gearbox in my 1.6GTI is dying! The gears dont grinde but 1st,2nd and Reverse can be difficult to find sometimes,even at low speeds. Anyone have any ideas?

Bill

Batfink

lots of money. Just get a reconditioned one from Miles on this site...

Super Josh

Are you sure that your clutch is disengaging completely? As it is unusual for the synchros/selector forks to wear on all of those gears.

Josh

Anulfo

I agree with josh....Check the clutch first!!!! The solution may not be as drastic as a complete gearbox overhaul which can be expensive!!

Billbatov
I agree with josh....Check the clutch first!!!! The solution may not be as drastic as a complete gearbox overhaul which can be expensive!!

Will do, is there a way I would be able to tell (as someone who knows next to nothing about car mechanics) I find when more people are in the car that the gears are slightly more difficult to find... I know that's probably just bad luck... does it mean anything?

Bill

steve@cornwall
Will do, is there a way I would be able to tell (as someone who knows next to nothing about car mechanics) I find when more people are in the car that the gears are slightly more difficult to find... I know that's probably just bad luck... does it mean anything?

Bill

Check that the linkages are securely bolted to the subframe and the gearbox to engine bolts are all tight!

stu_woac

I would suggest getting the linkages looked at to you may have bend one slightly I've done this once

christopher

finding the gear sounds more like a linkage problem...as people have said...gearbox problems are more crunching and slipping out of gear

Sign in to follow this