• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

2300cc 16v Build

wardy18

Thats what i thought, with a little more effort and budget i go all the way and get an insane engine rather than an awesome engine!

ive never really understood why people aim for a certain bhp or torque figure, i jus want as much as i can get from what im building but depending on how the budget goes ill be running standard 6 cams to start with and still on the old carbs, am hoping for 250bhp up to 300bhp would be excellent but it'll be more of a torque motor so we'll see, once i have a decent set of cams in ill bring it to the uk for a power run with the carbs on to see what its running then eventually when i go tb's ill do the same and compare

big plans i just hope it all goes to plan

Batfink

QEP are not closed or closing. I use them as a distributor and they still are supplying me for the foreseeable future

carbers205

Wardy have you spoken to Matt about big end width?

Reason I ask is the standard XU rods are 24mm whereas the 92mm crank is 26mm so theres too much float. Not sure whether this applies for the 96mm crank though. Just something else to consider as you will need new rods if this is the case.

wardy18

Matt did mention and knew how to resolve it so yeh he's aware and he also said there's people that have built the 2.2 blocks with the 92mm crank and hadn't noticed this and so the rods are floating still!

wardy18

do all xu cranks have toothed cogs to run the oil pump?!

the 96mm crank has and just wanna make sure this will go in with the GTi6 engine and oil pump configuration!?

Mandic

If You are referring to toothed crank web, that's for balancer shafts.

Cheers

Ziga

wardy18

Is this still ok for a gti6 block?

carbers205

No we're talking oil pump sprocket and yes XUs and XUDs run sprockets, just be careful there are a few different chain lengths and sprocket sizes/designs depending on the crank.

wardy18

Ok so just a matter of gettin the right length chain to fit

welshpug

and the correct sprockets. do you have a picture of the crank?

wardy18

Haven't got one yet, soon thou, yeh just found out that the sprocket can be changed so thats ok, ill have the gti6 crank so i can always swap it for that, think ill just have to wait and see

Guest L2theK

Hello Wardy18

I don't know if it can help you, but you are velcome to look at my homepage.

It is a dairy of my 2,3 liter build

the homepage is

http://l2thek.homepage.dk/

wardy18

excellent, thanx mate ill have a read

wardy18

well thought i would update you all on the progress, i am about to purchase a GTi6 engine i have found, well a complete 'rattly' block and a head from an engine with snapped belt, none of these things matter as the block will be totally rebuilt and re-bored and the head will have bigger inlet valves and can replace any exhaust ones!!

the whole lot is going to be courierd to Matt at QEP as soon as poss for him to break the block down and re-bore to 87mm and also measure it all up for the rods and pistons as i will also have the 96mm crank delivered to him

the block will be then shipped to me with all the bits to be prepared for the re-build when i can afford the pistons

the head will stay with Matt until i can afford the solid lifters etc and cams and the head work

so there's the plan so far, its starting to come together slowly but surely

projectpug

Great news wardy :huh: nice to get the project started isn't it?

wardy18

yes mate, its nice to get past the planning stage and actually start ordering and buying the bits on the list and gettin the process going, lots of hard work ahead, especially as i need to widen all my arches to acomodate the new wider wheels and adjusting the ride height so its not just the engine ill be workin on

wardy18

anyone know if the cam carriers from a different GTi 6 head can me matched to another GTi 6 head or do they HAVE to be original and if not rendering head useless?!?!?

simon

whizzer71

I may be wrong but I believe that they are line bored so probably not

:)

B1ack_Mi16
anyone know if the cam carriers from a different GTi 6 head can me matched to another GTi 6 head or do they HAVE to be original and if not rendering head useless?!?!?

simon

Must be orginal as they are line-bored.

However can be fixed by grinding down the height of them and linebored again afterwards, but it is also expensive.. so cheaper for a new head possible.

welshpug

yes they have to be the originals for that head, they are line bored as a set.

wardy18

Matt said that not many people have the capabilities of doing this either and yeh is up to a 500 quid job so looks like im on the hunt for a better head, at least the block work can start

B1ack_Mi16
Matt said that not many people have the capabilities of doing this either and yeh is up to a 500 quid job so looks like im on the hunt for a better head, at least the block work can start

Yes very expensive :D

I had to do this to my 2.3 litre, because the head came from an unknown source, and seemed like the carriers did belong to another head.

Sent the head to Sweeden to get the lineboring done there.

"Only" 300 quid though, but silly money.

monty69

Will this 96mm crank still be good for 7000rpm?

B1ack_Mi16
Will this 96mm crank still be good for 7000rpm?

Not sure, but my modified XU11D crank is now 94.5mm stroke and I take it to 8000rpm.

wardy18

i would have thought peak power will be lower down the rev range due to the amount of torque it will have with the bigger bore size so wont really have any need to rev it up to 8k

Sign in to follow this