• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SkyQuake

Dash & Interior Trim Switching + Sunroof & Painting

SkyQuake

Dear All,

I have a 93 1.4 GTX, and the poor girl's on her last legs. I have been looking for some time for a Phase 2 1.9 GTI to replace her with, but they seem to be few and far between in the price range I am looking at (with <110k on the clock). Unfortunately, I'm being narrow minded, and I'm looking for either a Cherry Red or a Black one; but I haven't seen very many about (and I'm a newbie on this forum, so I'm not allowed to post a 'wanted').

I have however seen plenty of Phase 1.5s about, and the current GTX has the Phase 2 lights, so I should be able to do that part of the conversion. But what about the dash and interior trim, as I do think that they look much better with the black than the grey interior? So I was wondering; how difficult would it be to strip the entire dash and interior trim out of my GTX, and put it into another vehicle?

Secondly, I quite like the sunroof models, but it seems that the non-sunroofs come up more frequently. Would anyone even contemplate trying to remove the sunroof from one vehicle and fit it to another? I know that there are all sorts of leaking problems with the roofs, so I presume that this is a bad idea. Any thoughts?

Lastly, I don't mind getting a vehicle which needs quite a bit of work. I'd probably have it externally resprayed (if it needed it), but I would prefer not to have to strip the engine out of it to paint the engine bay. Do I therefore have to start with a like coloured car, or could I get away with spraying a grey one black, for example? I'm sure this would offend the purists, but would it completely sabotage the resale value of the car? I certainly don't want to buy a half decent car and ruin it!

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Mike Farrow

Edited by SkyQuake