Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Overhaul] My Reshell Project

130 replies to this topic

Alan_M

Alan_M
  • Drivers+
  • 4,521 posts
Nice work Simon, but is it my eyes or is there positive camber on the front wheel of your 205?

Keep all the nuts/bolts/screws/brackets off the old shell too, you'll be surprised how handy they can be!

Edited by Alan_M, 08 May 2009 - 09:23 AM.

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
  • Name:Simon
Garage View Garage

Nice work Simon, but is it my eyes or is there positive camber on the front wheel of your 205?
Keep all the nuts/bolts/screws/brackets off the old shell too, you'll be surprised how handy they can be!

I think it is your eyes.
Yep - I've kept most things so far.

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
Garage View Garage
Update:

Yesterday was spent connecting the brakes. Unfortunately most of the unions were hard rusted and I think a compensator had failed. I ended up replacing the brake lines from the compensator back to the rear calipers.
Had to remove the fuel tank which was then I found that one of the brake lines had been replaced before and the old pipe was still there as evidence.
Had to replace the front nearside line also as it had decided to get too friendly with the flexi hose.
All my flexi - hoses were braided so I've reused those so connected everything up and called it a day.

Today I refilled the system with fluid, bleed it and tweaked the handbrake. That was enough!

Got a couple of days off work this week so I'm aiming to swap carpet and seats, finish the alarm, connect the exhaust up and make the lights work!

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
Garage View Garage

Update:

Yesterday was spent connecting the brakes. Unfortunately most of the unions were hard rusted and I think a compensator had failed. I ended up replacing the brake lines from the compensator back to the rear calipers.
Had to remove the fuel tank which was then I found that one of the brake lines had been replaced before and the old pipe was still there as evidence.
Had to replace the front nearside line also as it had decided to get too friendly with the flexi hose.
All my flexi - hoses were braided so I've reused those so connected everything up and called it a day.

Today I refilled the system with fluid, bleed it and tweaked the handbrake. That was enough!

Got a couple of days off work this week so I'm aiming to swap carpet and seats, finish the alarm, connect the exhaust up and make the lights work!

Forgot to add also fitted a new master cylinder.

j_turnell

j_turnell
  • Pitcrew+
  • 4,146 posts
  • Name:James
Garage View Garage
Good work, its not far off now!

Kenno

Kenno
  • Drivers+
  • 103 posts
Garage View Garage
Good work there, Will have to pop down & see you.

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
Garage View Garage
Couple of days off work - today and tomorrow.
Spent most of today trying to align the bonnet striker - still doesn't want to f***ing shut. ;)
No photo's too angry!

Edited by Simes, 14 May 2009 - 08:33 PM.

miamichris

miamichris
  • Drivers
  • 781 posts
we all have those days simon :lol: chin up mate!

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
Garage View Garage

So where were we - oh yes trying to shut the bonnet down!
well it just wasn't working so I went and did some thing else...namely remove all the interior from car and then refit my old bright red carpet.

110_400x300_zps46d70ee3.jpg

1102_600x400_zpsc8ecbf40.jpg

Very bright - and now one of our bedrooms looks like this

130_600x400_zpse3b31f71.jpg

and the hallway like this

153_400x600_zps106ea903.jpg

Back to the bonnet though and I think I've identified the problem. On this car from what I remember the bonnet was always a bit difficult to shut. I'd only ever shut it once befere removing the slam panel and then everything else.

This was the problem

26_600x400.jpg

Could it be striking the radiator? It got a bit bent in the accident

I played around with it seeing if anyting was catching - best thing to do was remove it....but..

After measuring up the striker on this and my old bonnet it seems this one was set 5mm shorter. Trying to adjust it was not going to happen as it had welded itself tight I had to think of another plan.

29_600x400.jpg

other bonnet

28_600x400.jpg

Mmmm a bonnet swap!

191_600x400_zps2dc16885.jpg

That's fixed the issue now which is great. Glad I took two days off work to sort that - what a complete waste of holiday!!!
Anyway radiator, fan, lights, windscreen washer bottle etc and all front harmess electrics connected and ready to go, also swapped my old 'new' front indicators over.
Away this weekend in France, so no garage time - although I suspect i'll be helping my dad bleed the brakes on his 1953 Austin Somerset

Edited by Simes, 15 December 2012 - 06:01 PM.

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
Garage View Garage
Quick update -
Got the brakes sorted on the Somerset - almost stops now!

Should have an update on the 205 shortly.

HERMAN

HERMAN
  • Drivers
  • 535 posts
  • Name:Neil
Hello Simes just to let you know that the engine that you sold my mate is fitted and runing. It looks like it has a ported head and lightend flywheel so that is proberly why is came a part so easily. He as just got to get it mot'ed and then it is on the road. It has took a little longer than he thought because he needed to rebuild the rear beam first.
Thanks
Neil and Craig

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
Garage View Garage

Hello Simes just to let you know that the engine that you sold my mate is fitted and runing. It looks like it has a ported head and lightend flywheel so that is proberly why is came a part so easily. He as just got to get it mot'ed and then it is on the road. It has took a little longer than he thought because he needed to rebuild the rear beam first.
Thanks
Neil and Craig

That's brilliant both the headwork and it running.

:rolleyes:

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
Garage View Garage

So what's new......

When I refitted the brakes I noticed the M/C was a bit dodgy. My replacement from the write off was only 10,000miles old so that's now on.

1150_300x400_zpsc8a73117.jpg

I sold my old exhaust (possibly a bit too early!) so I've been unable to run the car for longer than about 1 minute. I had Miles get a section made up to join the maniflow and standard exhaust section together. I'm pleased as it fits like a glove (my measurements and sketch were accurate)

131_250x152_zpsb5b23ab5.jpg

190_400x300_zpsbd911df9.jpg

By using these two items I've now managed to seal it all up.

1145_300x400_zpsce691824.jpg

Since I did all this around 3 weeks ago - I've been out on my test track and got it running nicely. Lots of stamping on the brakes cleaned up the 6 months build of rust so they stop well now. I had a bad idle and general missfire which was due to a couple of HT leads working loose. The AFM also needed plugging a little better.

I should have an update for you later today - Alarm fit, dashboards nearly all back in and just some tweaks for MOT.

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
Garage View Garage

Quick update:

MOT'd, passed

:)

Sad day though as G962 went to the scrapyard.

147_400x300_zps7cc2a384.jpg

However - we're about to drive to the FRench/Spanish border in thos one next week!

1119_600x400_zpsd43c6653.jpg

base-1

base-1
  • Veterans+
  • 2,638 posts
  • Name:I'm Rick James, bitch!
Good work! :)

Oberon

Oberon
  • Drivers
  • 77 posts
  • Name:Raj
Getting there simon, good news about the mot.

Having seen the car in the metal I have to say it is a very nice example.

I can see from the work your putting into this that its gonna be a real corker.

Nice work, keep it up.

Pm'ed you about that door, Cheers Raj.

CosKev

CosKev
  • Drivers
  • 749 posts
Excellent thread,great read :D

How did you find the Toad alarm was to fit?????

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
None of the photos load up or is it just me?

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
I can see them :)

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
Garage View Garage