Keep all the nuts/bolts/screws/brackets off the old shell too, you'll be surprised how handy they can be!
Edited by Alan_M, 08 May 2009 - 09:23 AM.
Jump to content
Yesterday was spent connecting the brakes. Unfortunately most of the unions were hard rusted and I think a compensator had failed. I ended up replacing the brake lines from the compensator back to the rear calipers.
Had to remove the fuel tank which was then I found that one of the brake lines had been replaced before and the old pipe was still there as evidence.
Had to replace the front nearside line also as it had decided to get too friendly with the flexi hose.
All my flexi - hoses were braided so I've reused those so connected everything up and called it a day.
Today I refilled the system with fluid, bleed it and tweaked the handbrake. That was enough!
Got a couple of days off work this week so I'm aiming to swap carpet and seats, finish the alarm, connect the exhaust up and make the lights work!
So where were we - oh yes trying to shut the bonnet down!
well it just wasn't working so I went and did some thing else...namely remove all the interior from car and then refit my old bright red carpet.
Very bright - and now one of our bedrooms looks like this
and the hallway like this
Back to the bonnet though and I think I've identified the problem. On this car from what I remember the bonnet was always a bit difficult to shut. I'd only ever shut it once befere removing the slam panel and then everything else.
This was the problem
Could it be striking the radiator? It got a bit bent in the accident
I played around with it seeing if anyting was catching - best thing to do was remove it....but..
After measuring up the striker on this and my old bonnet it seems this one was set 5mm shorter. Trying to adjust it was not going to happen as it had welded itself tight I had to think of another plan.
Mmmm a bonnet swap!
That's fixed the issue now which is great. Glad I took two days off work to sort that - what a complete waste of holiday!!!
Anyway radiator, fan, lights, windscreen washer bottle etc and all front harmess electrics connected and ready to go, also swapped my old 'new' front indicators over.
Away this weekend in France, so no garage time - although I suspect i'll be helping my dad bleed the brakes on his 1953 Austin Somerset
Edited by Simes, 15 December 2012 - 06:01 PM.
Hello Simes just to let you know that the engine that you sold my mate is fitted and runing. It looks like it has a ported head and lightend flywheel so that is proberly why is came a part so easily. He as just got to get it mot'ed and then it is on the road. It has took a little longer than he thought because he needed to rebuild the rear beam first.
Neil and Craig
So what's new......
When I refitted the brakes I noticed the M/C was a bit dodgy. My replacement from the write off was only 10,000miles old so that's now on.
I sold my old exhaust (possibly a bit too early!) so I've been unable to run the car for longer than about 1 minute. I had Miles get a section made up to join the maniflow and standard exhaust section together. I'm pleased as it fits like a glove (my measurements and sketch were accurate)
By using these two items I've now managed to seal it all up.
Since I did all this around 3 weeks ago - I've been out on my test track and got it running nicely. Lots of stamping on the brakes cleaned up the 6 months build of rust so they stop well now. I had a bad idle and general missfire which was due to a couple of HT leads working loose. The AFM also needed plugging a little better.
I should have an update for you later today - Alarm fit, dashboards nearly all back in and just some tweaks for MOT.