Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_upgrade] 205 Gets An Extra 2 Cylinders

113 replies to this topic

thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • Drivers
  • 201 posts
Hi all, Yes I got the v6 bug (its all George's fault) ;) the car will be a joint effort between me and my mate Jim. The plan is to split the costs, as I don't really need any more cars but fancy doing the conversion and Jim wants a toy and to learn a bit more about car mechanic's.
The project will be done in two stages, first the conversion, should take about 6 weeks so we can have some fun while its still summer, second the bodywork and interior which will be done over the winter. When finished it should look like a very tidy standard 1.9 gti, until you open the bonnet :D

The 205 was an egay buy, mot failure (cv boot, exhaust and seat mounts) .It had had a very badly done top half respray, someone had masked up everything including the side repeaters and washer jets than sprayed the car the wrong red using the trim as a dam for the runs, His selling points were the new alternator and the new budget tyres , not much good on a v6 205. Got it back to my workshop and stuck it up on the lift and was pleasantly surprised, I had never seen the underneath of a 205 in as good nick, next to no rust and nothing bent, didnít look like it has any previous accent damage, turned out to be a good buy, good solid base for the project.
The donor is a 1998 406 coupe with front end damage.

The before photos. Two tone, nice.
Posted Image

I might keep the seat covers :lol:
Posted Image

The Donor.
Posted Image

The project started Monday 6th July 09 with us striping the 205 engine bay.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Over the last week we cleaned and prepared the bay for spraying.
Posted Image

Sunday I gave the bay a lick of paint before going out for a few sherbets for Jims Bday.
Posted Image

Shiny
Posted Image

We had yesterday off work to recover from last night :D so out came the v6.
Posted Image

Even tried it in its new home :D
Posted Image

Job's to do this week, design and make the top engine mount, shorten drive shafts, modify subframe, modify loom and fit up the 205 bay, ok may run in to next week :lol:

Goliath

Goliath
  • Drivers+
  • 1,302 posts
  • Name:G
Good work :lol:

Engine bay looks lush, what top engine mount is it resting on there in that pic (if any)? It looks quite level! You lucky bastard having a garage with ramps like that!

thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • Drivers
  • 201 posts

Good work :lol:

Engine bay looks lush, what top engine mount is it resting on there in that pic (if any)? It looks quite level! You lucky bastard having a garage with ramps like that!

I just took the bonded rubber mount out and used some spacers under the ally mount to get an idea of how it should sit. ill do some drawings tonight for a billet top mount.

Posted Image

Goliath

Goliath
  • Drivers+
  • 1,302 posts
  • Name:G
Ah cool, we can do a drawing of mine at the weekend if you like :lol:

You will need to take the engine out to put the servo back on btw! Its bloody impossible to get ack on with the engine there!

thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • Drivers
  • 201 posts

Ah cool, we can do a drawing of mine at the weekend if you like :D

You will need to take the engine out to put the servo back on btw! Its bloody impossible to get ack on with the engine there!

Think Ive sussed the engine mount, done some drawings, just need to make some now :D
I only put the engine in to see how it fitted and to take some measurements so I could order up some parts and materials.
Its easy in and out when you have a car lift and a forklift :D

pip470

pip470
  • Drivers
  • 887 posts
  • Name:Phill Dwan
Nice one paul!! Top stuff. Looks like you have made some good progress already.

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 4,983 posts
  • Name:Rich
Garage View Garage
As you can tell: the fun is in the torque!!!! :D

196lb/ft from a 4cyl. 197lb/ft from a V6. 'Ave some!

*Dons firesuit* :D

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,025 posts
  • Name:Mei
The torque is immense, I've driven George's briefly before it was completed, we were all giggling at how epic the sound and torque was :D

Bonzai

Bonzai
  • Drivers
  • 2,189 posts
i want i want i want :D

Ludi

Ludi
  • Drivers
  • 246 posts
  • Name:Viktor Tasevski
Garage View Garage

i want i want i want :D

Me too.

It looks like a lot of fun. :D

maxi

maxi
  • Pitcrew
  • 3,003 posts
Garage View Garage

As you can tell: the fun is in the torque!!!! :ph34r:

196lb/ft from a 4cyl. 197lb/ft from a V6. 'Ave some!

*Dons firesuit* :lol:

Yeah brilliant fun replacing bushes, lower arms, hubs, driveshafts and tyres every 5 minutes while the rest of us are out enjoying ourselfs putting the power down.

This looks like an excellent project and the work 2nd to none. Keep going fella! What management are you going to use?

Maxi

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 4,983 posts
Garage View Garage

This looks like an excellent project and the work 2nd to none. Keep going fella! What management are you going to use?

I agree totally and am interested too. I'm assuming you're going to run the engine complete with original loom and ECU aren't you, or have you got something special planned?

And:

Yeah brilliant fun replacing bushes, lower arms, hubs, driveshafts and tyres every 5 minutes while the rest of us are out enjoying ourselfs putting the power down.

1 x old hub replaced in 5,000 miles+. Same driveshafts, tyres and everything else since April. My choice for the mods on the new car are simply to remove the possibility of the above and deliver confidence by everything being new and uprated.

You had to expect me to reply Adam :ph34r: . Wish I was coming to the curry so we could discuss over naans again like last time. And have no fear: I now have 2 x Mi engines to play with, which for fun I'm going to build identically bar one having an iron (2.0) block and the other a lovely light alloy XU9. Gonna do it for fair comparison and a giggle.

I too am doing this for the love of wringing an XU9's neck. We do have something in common. You just need some TSWs to make your life complete. :lol:

You were talking Paul about you plans for and skills with driveshafts on ET09. Will be very interested to see what you'll do and how you'll do it if you'll share?

Also what hub carriers are people running with a V6?

Lovely workplace BTW Paul. Is Wildejon helping? Anyone else?

Edited by DrSarty, 15 July 2009 - 02:02 PM.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,025 posts
  • Name:Mei
George is running 309 hubs+hub carriers, and 1.6 gti vented bendix calipers :lol:

IIRC Jeram had 306 ones,

I think 306 carriers may have a little more CV joint clearance as most were made to run ABS and hence a larger CV joint though the 406 CV may be even bigger, not had chance to check side by side.

Hilgie has 205 1.9 gti in his spec list :)

Drive flange itself is the same between most later assemblies and the larger engined earlier cars, and interestingly the later 405 is the same as the 406 at the hub carrier+bearing+drive flange+balljoint.

sorry, went a bit o/t there! :lol:

I don't see why the drivetrain would fall apart all the time, seeing as most is shared with vehicles that have even greater torque than the V6.

ok its diesel, but the 3.0 V6 coming soon in the 407, will have 450 lbft :ph34r:

Edited by welshpug, 15 July 2009 - 02:24 PM.

maxi

maxi
  • Pitcrew
  • 3,003 posts
Garage View Garage

I agree totally and am interested too. I'm assuming you're going to run the engine complete with original loom and ECU aren't you, or have you got something special planned?

Are they not multiplexed like late xsaras, etc?? I would put aftermarkett management on it anyway, a conversion to this std deserves it.

As for torque rich, you know my thoughts! :lol: Isnt it about time you got yourself out of that hell hole and just came back here. Surely a man with your caliber could get a half sensible job in the U.K? Old Ronald is hiring......... :ph34r:

I will be watching this project closely, I think the V6 is going to be the next big thing and I have a feeling this one is going to set the trend and techniques.

Maxi

marksorrento205

marksorrento205
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,645 posts
  • Name:Mark

I will be watching this project closely, I think the V6 is going to be the next big thing and I have a feeling this one is going to set the trend and techniques.

Maxi

+1 :ph34r:

kate205gti

kate205gti
  • Drivers+
  • 1,937 posts
+2 :ph34r:

DrSarty

DrSarty
  • Drivers
  • 4,983 posts
Garage View Garage

Surely a man with your caliber could get a half sensible job in the U.K? Old Ronald is hiring......... :D

Why? You leaving?

:lol:

..and back on topic. :)

maxi

maxi
  • Pitcrew
  • 3,003 posts
Garage View Garage

Why? You leaving?

:D

..and back on topic. :lol:

Yeah they fired me Rich, they heard you were the expect at TOSSING................the burgers.

Maxi

taylorspug

taylorspug
  • Veterans
  • 2,936 posts
  • Name:Dan
I still dont know why everyone has this massive problem with hubs. Im still running the same pair i was when i bought my car 6-odd years years ago, just have new bearings in them now, and even those werent strictly needed. The confidence comes from good well maintained parts more than constant uprating.

Id also run the car on aftermarket management, i think theres bags of hidden power to be found over the standard stuff, it is a 'touring' style engine/car afterall.

thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • Drivers
  • 201 posts
Get a room you two :D
Pleased you are all liking the project, all suggestions welcome. Not much progress with the car over the last couple of days mainly designing the bespoke parts. Made some adjustments to the engine mount design as Ive decided to make it on a cnc instead of a manual machine to keep the cost down due to the unexpected interest in them. Should get some parts and materials over the next couple of days so should make good progress on the weekend.
Donít think thereís a problem with the hubs being strong enough, ill be using 306 ones just cos ive got some lying around, welshpug answered most of the driveshaft questions, Ill be running shortened v6 shafts which should deal with the power, they cope in the 406 and the 205 is far lighter. Rich they might be a good upgrade to a BE1/3 gearboxed car if I can work out how to get the larger v6 splines to fit the BE box, maybe mate the v6 shaft to the BE shaft if the week point is the outer cv.
Im in the early stages of developing a sandwich plate to use the BE box on the v6 which would give us more ratio options, better lsd options, less bespoke parts and some weight saving but it will be a few months before I can put the time in to it.
Ill be running the v6 ecu mainly for budget reasons it is the earlier engine so not using the multiplexed wiring. I will upgrade to after market management as funds become available.

Reply to this topic