Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_overhaul] Miami16. The Story Of Slowly Progressing 205 Build.

52 replies to this topic

Galifrey

Galifrey
  • Drivers
  • 1,016 posts
Wow, been very busy, hope it all goes back in soon.

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
  • Name:Richard
I have finally sold the 2 SMRís I had, they had been fitted to the car of late just to keep it off the ground. Out of the set of 5 speedlines Iím now left with, only 2 have tyres which left me 2 wheels short to put the car on. With SMRís gone I also took the two speedlines off and replaced them all with the new 15inch Peugeot 406 Ouragan alloys I bought form Veero. I do like the look of them, although 15 inch speedlines do look bigger than these 15 inch Ouraganís. Itís a different look and Iím 50-50 on them, I like both. They are brand spanking new so look nicer than the tatty speedlines, they also have nice new rubber, so for now they will be wheels of choice until everything else is finished and paid for. Once Iím up and running again I can then think about refurbing the speedlines and getting a second set of rubber for them.

Will post the pics showing the change of footwear later on as the pics are still on the camera.

Itís a bit of marmite thing to be honest. I do like the standard speedlines, a lot in fact. Usually I would say the 205 loses something with aftermarket wheels (TSWís especially! :unsure: Sarty!) the fact they are still Peugeot alloys goes someway to keeping the originality in my mind. Itís nice to have the choice though.

They canít look that odd as the wife canít tell the difference?!

So any reminders or words of wisdom on my previous post?

Edited by skeggyrik, 04 November 2009 - 01:18 PM.

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

and with the new 15 inch Orangutans

Posted Image

Posted Image
excuse the front ride height but it's missing an engine!

Edited by skeggyrik, 04 November 2009 - 09:11 PM.

ian_p

ian_p
  • Drivers
  • 81 posts
good work!

the new wheels look good!

Cloverleaf

Cloverleaf
  • Drivers
  • 348 posts
Great work mate. Just read all of this, I feel your pain now too!!

I quite like the Orangutans. Makes sense to put them on there as they're mint with new tyres.

Good luck finishing it off.

Veero

Veero
  • Drivers
  • 1,579 posts
Ah my old wheels have turned up, I have to say for some reason they look much much better on a Miami than they did on my Cherry Red.

Looking good.

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
Big progress on last Sunday. The engine and gearbox are now back in the car.

Once I'd got the alternator, starter and few other bits back on the engine it was time to drop it off the engine stand to fit the flywheel and clutch. No problems there and I made sure I lined up the marks put on them when I had them balanced over at autosprint along with the crank and rods.

Next job was to get the gearbox on. Wasn't too bad in the end just mildly awkward on my own. 99% sure the new clutch release bearing was still sitting right when it went on, I will soon find out if itís not. I was scratching my head for a couple of minutes at the start as I hadnít removed the steel bottom cover that fastens to the gearbox behind the fly wheel. With that off it went on easy enough. Must be much more of a pain doing this job with the engine in the car!

With the gearbox fitted I got it all up in the air and dragged it over to car and hovered it over the hole. It was a bit of mare getting it in as I was doing this without the aid of load leveller and the fact I've got the subframe on meant there was less room to swing it about then when I originally took it out. I roped the wife into helping for this bit as I would have had no chance on my own. She was glad to help, especially as it was one of the more exciting parts. Iíve yet to see her volunteer for degreasing anything or crawling around under the carÖ.. So after a lot of wagging, pushing, wiggling and ďup and downingĒ on the crane it was back in the bay sat on its mounts. I was very pleased.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Ready to leave the stand

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Off the stand and ready for the flywheel and clutch

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Clucth and flywheel on

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Mi16 gearbox on, fool removed from engine bay

Posted Image
Help from the missus

Posted Image
Happy to see it back in!

The next job is to get everything tightened up properly and get the driveshafts on.
With the engine back in I can now fit the master cylinder and get the brakes bled. I also need to get the handbrake sorted. I now have even less confidence in leaving sat with bricks behind the wheels as the only thing stopping it running off down the road. I need a set of handbrake cables but GSF didn't have any in the last time I went in. Iíll get the gear rods on so I can at least leave it in gear.

Engine came out in September 07 so mentally it was very good to get it back in there.
OnwardsÖÖ.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
Good work, and coming along nicely ;)

Signature needs updating now though....

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts

Signature needs updating now though....

Of course!

Makes it all the more worth while ;)

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Once the shafts etc are in you can leave it in gear and that should also stop it running away. If you do this before its fired up it may be wise to put a little oil down the bores.

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,220 posts

I'll get the gear rods on so I can at least leave it in gear.

You don't need gear rods to leave it in gear, just put the box in gear manually under the bonnet.

maturin23

maturin23
  • Drivers
  • 1,264 posts
  • Name:Ian
Nice one Rik - just ploughed through the thread from start to finish. Well written - a good read.

:)

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
Well I'm now back from a 3 month trip to South America, so I will be looking to resurrect this thread and finally get the 205 finished.

It helps that I'm now unemployed and have lots of time, just a shame that also means I have no budget.
I'm hoping I already have all I need to get it finished!

lukesaddy

lukesaddy
  • Drivers
  • 168 posts
just read your whole thread, very nice car :)

this is the car i wanna rebuild, a miami 1.9 :D

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
Well i started playing with the car again the other weekend, the first time I have touched the car this year!

I have been playing with the loom trying to remember where is all goes. :)

I have not been on here in a while, I will try and keep this updated with the progress I make.

Out of interest, is anyone on here making Mi16 - 205 looms yet? I know few of you have made them, just wondered if anyone has gone to the next step?

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
You're still around then Rich! Still got and enjoying the Elise?

If you get stuck with the loom, give me a shout as I've converted numerous Mi looms in the past.

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts

You're still around then Rich! Still got and enjoying the Elise?

If you get stuck with the loom, give me a shout as I've converted numerous Mi looms in the past.

I'm still around, I have just had other priorities like finding work after my return from travels. :)
The elise went and that funded the South America trip, I do miss it. The replacement car is a 1994 318ti, it'll do for a bit.

I would love someone to take a look at the loom and have a sort out. Next time you are passing let me know. i'll get the kettle on and you can me an opinion on the job that has been done and some pointers to get on with.
Do you still have my number?

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
If it's still the one that ends 588, then yes, I have :)

I'll likely be up your way next month, so I'll pop over then for a brew and to have a look at the mass of multicoloured spaghetti...

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts

If it's still the one that ends 588, then yes, I have :lol:

I'll likely be up your way next month, so I'll pop over then for a brew and to have a look at the mass of multicoloured spaghetti...

That's the one. Drop me line, will be good to see you.
It is the BX loom so it's mostly spagetti verde ;)

Reply to this topic