Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_overhaul] Miami16. The Story Of Slowly Progressing 205 Build.

52 replies to this topic

alex205mi16

alex205mi16
  • Drivers
  • 1,322 posts
You finished this yet? Or too busy going sideways in that roaring 6 pot?
Can't believe my login still works!

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
  • Name:Richard

You finished this yet? Or too busy going sideways in that roaring 6 pot?
Can't believe my login still works!

No i have not finished it yet Alex.

I need a final push to finish in 2011... not touched it for ages.
As Alex has mentioned I have been playing in a 328i sport coupe recently.

The 205 is now known as the drive ornament, I need to change that! I had a guy who delivers for Sainsbury's say it had been a year since he last delivered to us and he was hoping to see it up and running when he pulled up the road. He looked disappointed in me, the wife was in bits laughing.

So, brakes, cooling and electrics and it's done......

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts
Right then. I need to finish this project this year!!!!

Shame I can't remember where is all goes it's been so long :blush:

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
Any updates on this? I need some inspiration :blush:.

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts

Well the 205 got loaded onto a trailer and towed from the Midlands down to Dorset on Friday night. The first time it has been off the drive in 6.5 years (where does the time go?). Moving house in a couple of weeks so my hand was forced to get something sorted with it.

On Saturday morning it was driven over to Miles at Pugracing not too far up the road in Hampshire, to see if he can make some more progress with it than I have managed in the last couple of years.

Exciting.    

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts

Well it runs..... which is good news, so far so good on the engine rebuild. It has been run up to temperature tonight and there are a few niggles to sort I'm told.

Miles has been busy sorting this out for me.  :D

Can't wait to drive it again it's been aaaaaaaaaaaaggggges.

Edited by skeggyrik, 04 June 2013 - 08:10 PM.

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts

13,455 views of this thread?!! 

Henry Yorke

Henry Yorke
  • Team Managers
  • 4,539 posts
  • Name:err.. Henry Yorke
Garage View Garage

13,455 views of this thread?!! 

That must be because you have taken so long!

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts

I got a nice little text today.

It read:

"MOT'd"

:D  

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts

So I did a track day at Donnigton park in this 205 a couple of months ago and had great time. I wrote a little bit on that so will have to post it up.   

A minor hiccough on the day was overcome (thanks to Anthony for some advice on that) but otherwise the car was faultless. Donnignton was a fair trek up from Bournemouth but the drive up was brilliant. 

The alternator gave up on the way home which was annoying but hey. That has now been replaced with a new one and new battery so all is good again. 

The car isn't getting much use now so it looks like I will be finally coming round to the idea of moving on from it and getting it sold. 

205 prices seem to all over the place at the minute. No idea what to expect. 

For sale ad will be going up once I've had some time to take some more recent pictures and gauge the market. The paint is suffering now, the lacquer has gone and it needs some attention. That is something I am not going to be doing in my ownership so it needs to go to new home. Other than that it should be a good car for the next owner..... will be a very sad after so long owning and working on it. 

Pictures from Donnington below. 

IMG_8495.jpg

IMG_8500.jpg

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
Shame after spending so long building it, but I guess that if you're not using it and you don't foresee that changing then maybe it makes sense :(

Redjam007

Redjam007
  • Passengers
  • 8 posts
  • Name:Scott
What a fantastic thread, took a while but I read the whole story, I am just starting my Miami MI16 project at the minute, it's stripdown time, and I will be following a path similar to yours. (So if you have any spare spares that may help I would gladly buy them from you) all what you have wrote I will take on board , it will be a help towards what I have ahead of me.

skeggyrik

skeggyrik
  • Drivers
  • 461 posts

Had a go at the fading trim and bumpers on on the 205. 

I have previously used some G Technic stuff with good results but the bumpers always looked faded and several shades lighter than the side trims. 

Bought some of the Autobright Restore 2 Black Permanent Dye and tried the rear sections and rear bumper. 

It goes on on really easily, wipes off the paint and the red trim easily and seems to give a good even result. I think with some careful touching up with something more accurate than the big sponge donut they provide, it will look very good indeed. 

Before, looking faded and powdery

th_IMG_0464.jpg

After 

th_IMG_0465.jpg

The rear bumper has really taken up the colour well. 

th_IMG_0467.jpg

I am pleased and will continue with it for the rest of the trim. 

You can see the lacquer issues the car is now suffering in the above photo, it has crazed and looks almost matt at some angles. Can you tell the tailgate had paint in the past?!!  :lol:​ 

Edited by skeggyrik, 09 August 2016 - 01:19 PM.

Reply to this topic