Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Upgrade] 205 Rallye Mi16 Road/hillclimb Build

49 replies to this topic

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
Ah! I thought you meant they were plain like 309 arms, that is quite odd especially from the same brand!

unariciflocos

unariciflocos
  • Drivers+
  • 706 posts
  • Name:Andrei
Garage View Garage

I bought a Pipercross Px600 air filter and thought I'd install it and within an hour's time I could go for a ride. Well... 6 weeks into that job I had:

-reangled te inlet manifold so that the trumpets would clear the slam panel

-removed the slam panel anyway because I didn't want to cut it because it would have lost all rigidity and would have been useless

-installed Aerocatches to hold the bonnet now that there was no more slam panel

-installed an alloy L profile to replace the slam panel and keep the safety catch for the bonnet

-completely redid the wiring, rechecked the length and connector of each and every single wire, rewrapped everything in textile tape and routed everything nicely (the loom was originally made from scratch on my living room floor, so you can imagine the lengths weren't perfect to say the least)

-replaced a lot of the factory connectors with new AMP watertight connectors

-installed braided fuel lines and replaced my fittings and splitters with metal ones, as oposed to my old plastic T splitter, for the sake of not losing all my work in a fiery blaze

-replaced the Lambda probe as I noticed the onld one was jumping on either side of the correct value erraticly

-realized that I can't adjust my idle because the bodies are out of sync so I built a carb balancing kit with parts from the hardware store because I was too cheap to fork out 100 Euros for a factory made one. Doesn't look perfect, but at 45 Euros that's 55 spared to spend on other useless crap for the car.

-rerouted some water and oil hoses and changed almost all hose clips to stainless

-replaced the coolant pipe with an alloy one from a guy in the Netherlands, should outlast the car.

-reinstalled my washer bottle after 7 years of being off the car.

-and finally replaced my heat exchanger because the fresh antifreeze i put decided it was afraid of the dark and made its way to my footwell

After all of this it finally started today, could find a nice clean idle, didn't stink like gasoline in the garage any more, but the drive will have to wait until next year as I don't have winter tires and my insurance has expired.

Basically I knew I wouldn't be driving it any more this year so I properly redid every single bodge that I did in a hurry before a race in the past. We all know that if a bodge works it's highly likely that it will never be touched again.

If anyone else is like me they'll just scan through the text in a second and look for the pictures, so, while the stuff I did wasn't very interesting, here are some pictures anyway:

20141120153319.jpg

They worked! All 4 branches balanced nicely to -0.45 bars at idle.

20141122163634.jpg

To people who don't realize how messy it was before it probably still looks messy, but I'll repaint the engine bay in the next year, to me it's a million times better than before.

20141121213043.jpg

This one is so good that I could add "Photography" to my name on Facebook.

20141121213831.jpg

Edited by unariciflocos, 22 November 2014 - 08:30 PM.

unariciflocos

unariciflocos
  • Drivers+
  • 706 posts
Garage View Garage

One question, I've heavily Loctited the velocity stacks screws and applied generous amounts of torque, should I be worried that one of them will come loose and ge eaten up by the engine?

Would there be a detrimental effect on performance if I installed some kind of sieves as on old formula one cars just in case?

unariciflocos

unariciflocos
  • Drivers+
  • 706 posts
Garage View Garage

So we went for a second drive around the Black Forest this Sunday and I loved it. Had the laptop on the passenger side doing closed loop tuning and it's running quite nice now.

Only one minor incident ofcourse. At one point when tidying up my wiring harness I had this train of thought in my mind: "Maybe I should replace the CPS connector, the safety is broken and the cable is a bit too short and this has the potential to leave me stranded on the side of the road if it fails... Naah, can't be bothered, it'll be fine.".... soooo, a month later, while overtaking and carrying some speed up some mountain bends the engine died out of the blue. I did have enough momentum to make it to the first parking spot on the side of the road, just to find that the connector had come out. It was actually the very first thing I checked after I popped the bonnet.

2015426164651.jpg

It's still surging on right handers, will have to put more oil in. Oil pressure is rock solid 2-3 bars idle and 6 bars at all time while driving. While on the topic of oil, I've moved the filler pipe a bit just as in the photo belo, and obviously after a very spirited drive my radiator an gearbox are one big oily mess:

2015227132333.jpg

Any suggestions for installing a catch can, or a type of catch can?

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 399 posts

One question, I've heavily Loctited the velocity stacks screws and applied generous amounts of torque, should I be worried that one of them will come loose and ge eaten up by the engine?

If my misfortune with the stack bolts coming loose is any guide, I'd be driiling some hex bolts and lockwiring them in. You don't want this to happen-

http://forum.205gtid...c=143279&page=8

unariciflocos

unariciflocos
  • Drivers+
  • 706 posts
Garage View Garage

Thanks Jeff, it was actually after reading your project thread that I decided to Loctite them. I'll put it on the TODO list.

In the meantime I'm trying to find a solution to properly vent the crankcase and aparently it's not that easy with ITBs.

JeffR

JeffR
  • Drivers+
  • 399 posts

I used the basic standard set up mounting the plastic catch can to a bracket off one of the starter motor bolts, chopped up a set of Baker hoses to extend them and ran a hose from the filler cap to a 2 litre catch can.

No issues with filling it as you would if venting the cam cover breather into one.

Oil%20Breather%20set%20up%20for%20t-bodi

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage

In the meantime I'm trying to find a solution to properly vent the crankcase and aparently it's not that easy with ITBs.

From what I can see in your photo, it looks like the filler/breather hoses both point downwards so that the lowest point is not the block end of the hose but rather half way along the hose. What tends to happen is that the breather and filler hoses get full of oil which can't return to the sump, and then crankcase pressure forces the oil up and out of the filler all over the gearbox.

Re-arrange the hoses so that they go downwards from the filler to the block and that the block is the lowest point, and that setup you've got now will probably work far better and not liberally cover the gearbox with oil.

You can vent the filler cap to a catch tank as required, but sort the hoses out first otherwise you'll end up with a lot of oil in the catch tank!

Shame, as what you've done actually looks quite neat otherwise unlike most Mi16's on ITB's.

unariciflocos

unariciflocos
  • Drivers+
  • 706 posts
Garage View Garage

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll buy some silicone hoses and change the config.

BTW never buy anything from www.mespiecesauto.com, they screwed me over with a set of silicone hoses that never made it to me and now won't answer emails, phone calls, anything.

unariciflocos

unariciflocos
  • Drivers+
  • 706 posts
Garage View Garage

Thatnks for the input Jeff and Anthony, I more or less replicated the default oil breather system and I get nothing out the top hose anymore, so happy days. 

Upgraded brakes to Tarox Japan 283mm disks + GTI180 calipers and DS3000 pads. Not sure I'm happy with this setup to be honest, front locks up in an instant, guess I need to get used to it. 

20150524_212343.jpg

At the same time I switched to 1.9 hubs with new SKF breaings as one of my hubs was ovaled, and new SKF drive shafts. Not over the moon considering one of them is made in China, but let's hope their quality control is good. When we speak to suppliers in China through my job we ask them if their product obeys certain standards and they just say, tell me what you want me to write on it and I'll do it, so hoping SKF is different.

2015523104430.jpg

Now the full front drivetrain is completely new and hoping for no issues on the drive I've planned to Italy at the end of June.

After everything I covered my dear toys nicely and will be spending some time with the Jaguar, that has just come back from the painter.

20150522_230216.jpg

image-9cfacc9ebb171ed75b75764e78c05ce1fb

Reply to this topic