Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_upgrade] Black 205 Gti6 - 1991

158 replies to this topic

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
  • Name:Mike
Garage View Garage
Hi Everyone,

Since my project is "nearly" finished I've decided to share some things with you guys. GTI6 engine is very popular in UK but in Poland where I am from it was the first documented project. (as far as I know). YES !!! We are way behind UK but when we finally decided to do things, we prefer to do them right ! :) Here's my story.

------------------------

205 GTI is pretty rare in Poland, during communism time you could forget about buying anything which wasn't Russian so nearly all GTI's in Poland were bought after the border opened and were brought from Germany , Switzerland or Sweden. That's a good thing as most of the cars in Germany are really well looked after. I spot my car while driving to my home town, car was parked in front of somebody's house and it looked pretty forgotten. This is how it looks when I first view it.

Posted Image

Car was covered in chicken poo... I really couldn't wait to start looking after the car. From extras it had ABS, leather seats (..or what's left from them :/ ) power steering and big sunroof so exactly what you need ! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

After I got it, I couldn't decided what to do with it, should I keep it original or do something more. At first I've decided to gather some parts and freshen up the car a little. After few washes it looked like this. ( I got those alloy wheels with the car )

Posted Image

Wash the carpet and manage to get a lovely set of mint seats.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

During the time when I lived in Ireland I bought this beauty from GTI drivers forum member.

Posted Image

Car had S16 engine and I was really happy from the amount of power it produced. That's why standard power in black 1.9 wasn't enough and I've decided to go little bit more and stick GTI6 engine in my black GTI. This is where my story begins, let me know if you want to hear more , if interest is there I will be glad to stick more picture in the thread.

Thanks,
Mike !

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
How the hell did those full leathers get in that state?! :o

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
Garage View Garage
Car had 140 000 km (86 000 miles) on the clock , I suspect the guy which I bought the car from was messing with the clocks and car had about 300 000 instead :) Or he was driving in the trousers made from sandpaper and razorblades :)

Daviewonder

Daviewonder
  • Drivers+
  • 3,016 posts
  • Name:Dave
Garage View Garage

Or he was driving in the trousers made from sandpaper and razorblades :)

:lol:

The car cleaned up pretty well Mike. Are the GTI6 engines easy to find in Poland or did you get it shipped over?

I love that red GTI, almost makes me want to fit clear indicators to my red 1.6.

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
Garage View Garage
Thanks Dave,

GTI6 are almost impossible to find. The only way to go is to look for Xsara VTS which is also pretty rare car here. It took me ages to locate and find a proper engine. I manage to buy this 2002 Xsara VTS with 60 000 on the clock, car was RHD and it was brought to Poland by the previous owner. I got it for pretty cheap, as cars with steering wheel on the right side are pretty much useless there.

Posted Image

un numero d'or

un numero d'or
  • Drivers+
  • 125 posts
Garage View Garage
The power of persuation:) You show them Mike!

SurGie

SurGie
  • Drivers
  • 3,048 posts
  • Name:George
Good on ya Mike, it looks a good project and hoped i helped you well enough with a few bits. I'm looking forward to more recent pics and progress :)

Your red one looks mint :)

PS, have you kept the VTS beam by any chance, :unsure:

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
Wow, those seats were in a right state! :o Luckily, the rest of the car appears to be in very good condition.

Are you allowed to simply swap an engine in Poland, without any paperwork?

un numero d'or

un numero d'or
  • Drivers+
  • 125 posts
Garage View Garage
No paperwork needed plus the polish MOT is pretty much a joke.

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
Garage View Garage

Good on ya Mike, it looks a good project and hoped i helped you well enough with a few bits. I'm looking forward to more recent pics and progress :)

Your red one looks mint :)

PS, have you kept the VTS beam by any chance, :unsure:

Thanks George, you really helped me in some places and I really appreciate those silicon hoses which I got from you. I will try to post few more pictures but I am also trying to not show the final product to quickly ;)

Wow, those seats were in a right state! :o Luckily, the rest of the car appears to be in very good condition.

Are you allowed to simply swap an engine in Poland, without any paperwork?

Apart from the seats car was surprisingly in good shape, chassis with no rust, suspension and engine were very good. Even the paint wasn't that bad apart from the bonnet which was in pretty bad state - million little scratches.

As the project continue to grow with help from my enthusiastic friends....

Posted Image

...I started looking for parts needed for conversion, 205 GTI drivers was very helpful here.

so It began first purchase 309 GTI wishbones and ARB

Posted Image

309 GTI Driveshafts which were professionally reconditioned.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alloy wheel joice was obvious ... :) SL434 only , but first I manage to recondition the standard set...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have two sets now which is pretty handy in Poland as you NEED to have winter tyres in the winter. I was hoping to use standard 15" wheels as my "winter" wheels.

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
Garage View Garage
To finish the suspension setup I got rear shocks from 306 GTI6, fronts are adjustable Kayaba AGX with - 40 mm springs

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
Garage View Garage
The whole car is on 309 GTI setup, rear beam turn from this...

Posted Image

Into this....

Posted Image

Posted Image

vinorak

vinorak
  • Drivers
  • 54 posts
Garage View Garage
great project :wub: I donť know any 205gti with XU10J4RS in Czech Republic, so You will be the first in both country. :D

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
Garage View Garage
Thanks Vinorak, I like your Griffe. How is it keeping now ?

I got rid of ABS system as I didn't find that setup efficient enough, instead I bought another useless equipment which is A/C unit :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

Summer in Poland can be pretty hot Posted Image

Edited by Para, 14 September 2011 - 08:21 AM.

vinorak

vinorak
  • Drivers
  • 54 posts
Garage View Garage
black leather seats could be very hot, i using white sheet as a protection :lol: griffe lives without any change...

harryskid

harryskid
  • Drivers+
  • 1,855 posts
Looks good!

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
Garage View Garage
To complete the brakes I got braided hoses and brembo's at the front ( I think that's the biggest mistake of my project so far as SL434 didn't fit on the car ) !!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

To fit Brembo's I had to buy spacers but all of that with 309 GTI wishbones and driveshafts pushed the wheel way to much and I got to much of a wheel sticking out from the arches...

Posted Image

I will have to dump the idea of driving on SL434 for a while which is a pity... :( I will keep them in storage for a while until I will find a good GTI6 calipers to fit on the car.

Edited by Para, 14 September 2011 - 09:40 AM.

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
Garage View Garage
In the meantime ( it took me and my friend only 4 hours :o ) we took out the engine from Xsara

Posted Image

And my good friend Nicolas was helping me out by preparing the engine loom

Posted Image

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
Nice work! B) Keep the updates coming :).

Para

Para
  • Drivers
  • 969 posts
Garage View Garage
Car is up and running now but I have some problems with connecting the rev counter.... :/ I have ph2 VTS engine , phase I loom and ph2 205 GTI Posted Image I got VVS speed sensor from 306 but the rev counter still doesn't show revs. What am I doing wrong ?

Edited by Para, 14 September 2011 - 05:33 PM.

Reply to this topic