Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_upgrade] Stef's 205 Gti6 Conversion And Tidy

249 replies to this topic

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
  • Name:Stefan
Garage View Garage
Well id thought id share my project, I bought 2x 1990 205 1.6gti's off ebay for 500 took the chance and went to pick them up. One was complete and mot'ed, the other was a mess and undrivable. Slapped the trade plates on the complete one and drove her all the way from burnham on sea to home in the south west. Anyway got her back to the workshop and dropped the scrap one at work.

Posted Image
This is where she was going to live for awhile.
Next day we dragged the old lump out and got busy
Posted Image
Pulled the bumpers off and got some new brackets and gave them a paint
Posted Image
Then i started to strip the underside down and rubbed everything down.
Posted Image
Started to repaint underneath
Posted Image
Posted Image

More to come...

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
Fuel lines were shot so went down to b&q and got some micro bore pipe to make some nice new ones along with some new rubber hose from the pump ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Started to repaint the engine bay
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gave the gearbox mount and servo some paint aswell
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then came the rear beam rebuild luckly i had a friend that works for a recon axle place not to far so he pikey'd me some new parts
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then fitted that to the car
Posted Image

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
Then my new engine came ^_^
Posted Image
Managed to find a complete engine with 60k from new
I didnt see the point in ripping the engine to peices as it was low miles and didnt seem oilly or dirty.
Got the useal parts painted
Posted Image
Posted Image

I decieded to put a new oil pump spring in it to be safe and gave the filter a clean.
On close inspection of the sump i found a crack so i hunted around and got one from pugplus!, Unwrapped it to find this
Posted Image
Wasnt happy! anyway got a mate to weld it up and job was a gooden and it was back on.

Reangled the exhaust and then wrapped it up
Posted Image

dcc

dcc
  • Drivers+
  • 3,141 posts
  • Name:Dan
Pug plus... lol. Rich up to his tricks again?

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
It came to the big day and the engine went in :)
Posted Image
Got it sitting nice on all its mounts with nice clearance with the manifold
Started to put things back in but wasnt happy with the inlet and rad clearance
Posted Image
So i dropped and moved it forward abit, got it to fit really well
Posted Image
I decieded to do way with the slam pannel and used a piece of angled alui, something that i could bolt the grill to
Posted Image
I then had to go back to work and the work stopped for a bit but in that time i sent the loom off to spikey for him to do his magic, While he was doing that i got some new wheels for it, also then i could fit the gti6 front brakes and the rear discs also from a gti6, it was very handy as we were braking one at work.

The next day i got the loom back from spikey and got that fitted, Then plumbed it all in and BROOM she fired first time! :wub:
Posted Image
I left her running for a while so the smoke from the heat wrap could dissapear

Pug plus... lol. Rich up to his tricks again?

yeah it did seem at the time haha

kyepan

kyepan
  • Drivers
  • 3,368 posts
  • Name:Justin
Like the red fanimold

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
Few weeks later i got it sitting better on some new spax shocks and lowering springs
Posted Image
Show it some day light for the first time in months and gave it a bit of a wash
Posted Image
Posted Image

I got some 309 wishbone and shafts from work and got them in with the gti6 brakes and painted the subframe
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I decieded to modify the rear wate housing so i could get the water flowing abit better
Posted Image

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
We drove it down the lane and then desaster struck! BANG! bonnet pins ripped out and the bonnet flew up luck for the bonnet stay!
Posted Image
So the next day i got a bonnet from the scrap yard and refitted the bonnet pins with some big ass rivets
Posted Image
Got it her home for the first time and gave her abit of a polish up for monday where she would go in for here mot
Posted Image
Posted Image

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
While she was at work i got next door to paint the roof
Posted Image
Got it through the mot apart from the top strut bearings decieded to fall apart it was all fine, Then ran the insurance company and got her insured! i was smiling for weeks, She was like a rocket ship coming from a saxo vts.
Few weeks later i decieded to uprated the radiator, so after scrolling through the forum i went with the same set up as rallyesh and ordered a new rad and some silicone hose
Posted Image
Posted Image

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
It was the weekend of pugfest and i decieded to leave her at home as it was a fair drive and being on a 1.6 box, so i went up with the old man.
Came back from pug fest with afew goodies got a set of the solid mounts from stew and a bumper from graham
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Then drove up the work shop and got it fitted, Not to every ones taste but owell
Posted Image
Next day i had a nice delivery at the door, My friend with a nice recon 309 tube and berlingo 21.8mm torsion bars
Posted Image
I lined a old 205 tube against it to see what i was going to gain
Posted Image
The next day at work i tore a gti6 beam apart and pinced the arms and anti roll bar and got it cut and resplined
then got painting
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by stef205, 04 January 2012 - 11:59 PM.

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
Got the 309 beam fitted and reconditioned some gti6 rear calipers
Posted Image
Posted Image
Drove it around for a few weeks seemed nice and frim and alot better than the old beam, I took the dog for a walk one day and was walking back to the car to be stopped by a old lady and she asked if that was my car, i expected the useal like its loud etc but turned out she was telling me that my wheel was off the floor i didnt take much notice thought it was rubbish, anyway got back to the car to see my rear wheel off the floor this is when i realized how hard it was :lol:
Posted Image

allye

allye
  • Pitcrew+
  • 3,716 posts
  • Name:Ali Williams
Garage View Garage
You like your crazy caliper colours don't you! :lol:

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
After 7000miles later i decieded i wanted to throw more money at her and started to build some bodies for her, I won a inlet cheap enough so i got a mate to cut and mill it down abit
Posted Image
I bought some r1 throttle bodies of ebay then gutted them and had a chamber
Posted Image
i was trying to see if this would run on the standard ecu :unsure:
Posted Image
anyway they went on and it fired first time and ran fine on idel
Posted Image
but the bonnet wouldnt shut :lol: so i opited to test drive with no bonnet it drove but over fuelled big time, plan is to run a emerald or omex ecu and get it running nicely
Refitted standard inlet and booked her in for a dyno run, took her to tipton st johns only returned to there as they did my saxo and did a cracking job!
Posted Image
Arrived and on the rollers she went ;)
I was shocked in what she returned
Posted Image
161bhp was told there was a fueling issue at top end, i have no idea what this could be, although she does stall at junctions sometimes, i have changed the icv and map sensor
Here is a short video of it
Posted Image

Thats all for now :)

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage

You like your crazy caliper colours don't you! :lol:

Yeah i was waiting for someone to say that :lol: its for when i run things over they can see nice colours and go ooooh :lol:

johnnyboy666

johnnyboy666
  • Drivers
  • 2,068 posts
  • Name:John
Garage View Garage
love the tripoding pic lol

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage

love the tripoding pic lol

Yeah it makes me laugh too, friends have seen me corner with one wheel up :P

Miles

Miles
  • Pitcrew+
  • 11,683 posts
  • Name:Miles
Garage View Garage
I'd get some new fuel pipes as those look like copper ones, The new fuel will start to eat into them

I wouldn't worry about the power figures, you can tell the readouts not quite right as the engine would never rev to 7600 on a std ECU and anything from 160 to 170 is about right depending on cam timing, engine condition along with different RR's which can be anything from disappointing to well over reading

Another tip which seems very odd to me, is ditch the cut out switch,

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage

I'd get some new fuel pipes as those look like copper ones, The new fuel will start to eat into them

I wouldn't worry about the power figures, you can tell the readouts not quite right as the engine would never rev to 7600 on a std ECU and anything from 160 to 170 is about right depending on cam timing, engine condition along with different RR's which can be anything from disappointing to well over reading

Another tip which seems very odd to me, is ditch the cut out switch,

What do you recommend fuel line wise?

Miles

Miles
  • Pitcrew+
  • 11,683 posts
  • Name:Miles
Garage View Garage
Std Pug one's, Just normal Steel

stef205

stef205
  • Drivers+
  • 793 posts
Garage View Garage
bit of a update pulled the 1.9 gearbox out the shed and took it to the petrol station and gave it a hot wash, ready to paint it later in the week. Also fitted some drilled and grooved discs to the front with new pads, and got a pair of yoko paradas2 fitted aswell.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic