Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
[car_upgrade] My Graphite Grey 1.6 > Gti6 Rebuild Project
Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:45 PM
That engine bay is looking awesome. Did you buy any stickers when I did the group buy?
I knew the bay was missing something!
Next task was removing the beam. This was a bik awkward due to its weight but got it off easily enough, it's only 3 bolts after all. Then off came the full tank which only had about 1 litre of full in that made it light!.
The plan for the beam was to be stripped and all parts blasted and powder coated with all new bearing and seals etc but before that the under side needed a freshen up!.
After taking off the beam and full tank I could see what muck and rust was before me which didn't look to bad until I got the drill and wire bruses out!. This really was a horrible job that took around 3 days to tackle but what a differance....which you will see in my next update .
Comments and questions welcome.
Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:44 PM
Right I needed a plan, and that was to first strip it all out...
The black 306 on axel stands in the first picture I had recently bought as a bargain on autotrader. The plan for that was to fix it up and sell it on but after poking my finger through a rusty hole on the underside I decided to break it selling everything apart from the engine as it was fitted with cams and the brake calipers as these would be used for the 205. I stripped the whole lot and had the shell crushed.
Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:30 PM
First thing was just a general going over.
I then invested in some 'Deox' products being the gel and the rust converter. Well worth the money I say . The gel really works well, the only bit I was not happy about was then spraying it all of with a hose but it really did work!.
I went over with the gel about 3 times and then moved onto the rust converter.
Edited by matty_gti, 02 April 2012 - 08:39 PM.
Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:41 PM
The most amount of rust and dirt build up was around the full tank but was all sorted with only surface rust.
Next up, black stone chips, two cans of!.
Edited by matty_gti, 02 April 2012 - 08:43 PM.
Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:44 PM
A very odd colour!.
Next up, clean the full tank from dust and grime and refit...
The rusty fuel lines that came off the car were chucked and I bought some new fuel 'lines' from Peugeot. In actual fact It's one long line that you need to cut in two and bend to shape. Not the easiest job but keeping the old ones for this you just match them up, bend and match up again, then bend some more!. In the end you get these.
Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:13 PM
I didn't get rid . First she got hit up the rear by a young (actually probably the same age as me at the time!) dive of a driver in his chaved up corsa. When it came to sorting the insurance his insurance company said it was beyond repair and that they were going to pay out and then it wen't silent. A bit of advice, do not go with Admiral as they are the cheapest for a reason, they are rubbish!. Not one bit of help what so ever.
To add to the blow, while I got no where with the insurance company I actually wrote her off. Was going a bit to fast and lost the back end on a slightly damp road. She went from this...
Was so gutted.
Edited by matty_gti, 02 April 2012 - 10:15 PM.
Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:56 PM
The plan, strip the old 1.6 beam down and inspect the parts - Once apart only one of the trailing arm shafts were good so this was pressed out and kept. Once this was done I had the beam tube and TB's blasted and powder coated. Not wanting to have drums I bought some 306 GTI6 rear trailing arms so I can run discs on the rear and have the slight negative camber. These again were all wire brushed, rust treated then primed and painted black. I've bought all new seals and bearings from peugeot as I want this to last!. I also bought some uprated beam mounting bushes from BBM and the biggest job here was removing the old bushes!
Finally knocked the old bearings out...
It took a blow torch and a hack saw to get the old bushes out...
Parts ready for the powder coaters...
Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:21 PM
Got the bits back from the coaters and all my nuts and bolts from the platers
I started first by fitting the BBM bushes and new bearings. I best thing to use to get the inner bearings in the right place was the spare trailing arm I had!.
Having a look at the beam height settings
Edited by matty_gti, 08 April 2012 - 07:23 PM.