• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

[car_upgrade] My Graphite Grey 1.6 > Gti6 Rebuild Project

matty_gti

One thing I did notice was the drive shaft on the nearside did not slide home all the way into the box. I'm using a Citroen box and the diff sits off centre so I needed the inner cup from a 306 driveshaft to fit onto the 309 shaft and hey presto it fits nicely. :)

After fitting the shafts I wanted to get the car down on her wheels to see the height of the suspension. Used some old discs and fitted the wheels on along with the front bumper I took off my TT. Some pics before putting the interior in,

DSCN3634.jpg

DSCN3632.jpg

• Like 1

matty_gti

Havn't looked at this for a little while so just a quick update. After get the car to its current condition then I though it needed some brakes. I used the front and rear calipers off the black 306 gti6 I broke up. They were romeved in working but grubby condition!.

DSCN3698.jpg

DSCN3701.jpg

DSCN3693.jpg

Just need to upload more to photobucket...

SurGie

Great work there, good read as well, any idea when it will be road ready ?

This is the kind of thing ive done to my graphite

205, so i know what kind of effort that has to be put into it all, well done with the results.

eddie bullit

Looking really good! Keep it up

Edd

matty_gti

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Hopefully she will be on the road in the next 4 weeks :wub: I have had her SORN'd for the past 6 years!.

Well I've just added some more pics...

Work in progress on cleaning and then repainting the calipers.

DSCN3889.jpg

Ordered all the brake unions and length of hose along with the discs and pads so was nice when new bits turn up!. Ordered some 90' bends for the calipers but went with straight swivel fittings in the end as the 90' bends were a pain to keep them straight.

DSCN3931.jpg

DSCN3930.jpg

Making up the hoses with the unions was fairly easy and I just used bits of tape near the ends to show that I had done them up tight!. Also bought a new brake fluid bottle and cap.

DSCN4099-1.jpg

DSCN4100-1.jpg

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti

And some more...Fitted the new 405 master cylinder which was painted silver

DSCN4102-1.jpg

Next up was sorting a place to fit the bias valve,

DSCN4103-1.jpg

Found these for a really good price on the bay, 306 GTI6 discs with dipples and groves with mintex pads.

DSCN3927.jpg

DSCN3929.jpg

These were then lightly covered in primer to stop them rusting.

DSCN3937.jpg

DSCN3938.jpg

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti

A few more,

DSCN4105.jpg

Old rusty discs were scrapped with new 306 disc protectors and discs fitted,

DSCN4080.jpg

DSCN4081-1.jpg

DSCN4083-1.jpg

DSCN4088-1.jpg

DSCN4085-1.jpg

DSCN4090-1.jpg

DSCN4104-1.jpg

:)

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti

I then bought some yellow 'citron' glass paint and painted the fog lighs. Just wanted to get the face of the car back on!.

DSCN3962.jpg

DSCN3964-1.jpg

DSCN4094-1.jpg

DSCN4096-1.jpg

• Like 1

allye

This is insanely tidy, love all the upgrades too. However I'm still not happy you tease us with drips and draps!

Set aside a couple hours this week, sort your photos out, and post all the feckers up!

SurGie

I'd be proud if mine came out anwhere near the way yours is going, i like how the yellow driving lights go with the graphite grey colour.

Has this car had a respray at some point as it looks very nice ?

matty_gti

All in good time Allye :lol: , photobucket won't let me load more than ten photos at a time and it takes ages!.

Surgie - I had the car painted around 6 and a half years ago when I removed the locks and indicators. It's not the best job in the world and would like the locks back in so once the cars all done I'll have her all resprayed along with all the trim etc.

I'll add some more pics in a bit :)

matty_gti

Only got these for now but will take alot more pics over the weekend :)

New and old MC,

DSCN1448-1.jpg

The little shiny things!.

DSCN3960.jpg

DSCN3961.jpg

Edited by matty_gti

matty_gti

Actually I can add these!.

Next up I needed to sort the cooling side of things. I have still not had the engine running yet so wanted to really get it going. When I bought it it had a leaky cam shaft seal, it was only weeping but just wanted it fixed. I locked the pulleys and removed the belt and then removed the exhaust puley, took out the old seal and then went about fitting the new one. When I started to push the new one home the camshaft moved! :o . At this point I thought the valves were going to be bent so continued to put it back together and put the belt back on and just hope for the best!. :(

Anyway, cooling....I got rid of the standard fan and bought two slim line fans on eBay along with some steel from B&Q. I then went about mounting them...

DSCN3967-1.jpg

DSCN3965-1.jpg

DSCN3968-1.jpg

DSCN3973.jpg

DSCN3971.jpg

wested

DSCN1435.jpg

Hi matty_gti,

What a great nut & bolt restoration..

I've have just read this inspiring thread from beginning to end as this is very similar to what I hope to achieve this summer with a forthcoming 205 gti project.

Just a quick question, you seemed to achieve a great result when you painted your engine bay - therefore I wondered what your process was?

Did you use rattle cans? Were they the typical Halfords cans or perhaps from a professional paint supplier?

I assume you used a few coats of lacquer too for the gloss effect?

Any info would be helpful

Thanks,

Edited by wested

j_turnell

Nice to see something being done properly, good work!

matty_gti

Thanks for the nice feedback folks :)

In regards to painting the engine bay it took about 4 days in total. A lot of rubbing down in between coats of primers and top coats. I did actually buy Halfords spray cans but did it in one batch as the colours can differ!. After that I applied about three coats of lacquer. :)

I do have many more pictures to upload but my laptop has broken which has most of my up to date photos on. :(

Ramigojag

Just read through all of this, any more updates?!?!

richw250

Fairplay looks spot on that, great job. A friend of mine has pretty much exactly the same as this with the gti-6 lump in it and its a lovely car (y)

matty_gti

Totally forgot about this! Well the car is now finished but I've just bought another engine for it :D I'll update some pics with me finishing the gti6 install :)

matty_gti

After I got all the little bits together I ended up with this....

DED169B6-6ADE-4DE8-A17B-7E952F25DD0C.jpg

Anthony

Damn that looks lovely... even the body colour trim that I don't normally like suits it too :)

credowan

That looks really good, any more pics of the finished article, how you getting on with the engine ?

Edp

Looks fantastic Matt, well done. How do you find the engine? it was the one you bought of me wasn't it?

is it on the road? we'll have to take the pugs out for a blast and compare as my Mi is back on the road.

matty_gti

Thanks for the comments guys. The engine runs really well, great power delivery with a 5 speed box but as covered before they can be quite heavy engines for such a small car so next on the 'to do list' is to fit power steering, coilovers, reangled exhaust manifold and a stainless exhaust system.

All on the road now Ed, and yeah it's the engine from you mate :) definitely up for a blast I'll bring the goPro!

I'll let some pictures do the talking for the next bit, I'll post them over separate posts as photobucket is complete s*ite on my iPad and every time I then go back onto this page it refreshes and I lose what I've written!