Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_upgrade] My Graphite Grey 1.6 > Gti6 Rebuild Project

95 replies to this topic

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
  • Name:Matt
Fitted the 306 trailing arms and Bilstein shocks...

Posted Image

One 'good as new' beam :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

allye

allye
  • Pitcrew+
  • 3,716 posts
  • Name:Ali Williams
Garage View Garage
Why do you keep teasing us with dribs and drabs!

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
:lol: It'll be worth it in the end!. ;)

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
Ok Allye here's some more...

These wheels came on the TT I had, the tyres were past it so they were removed. The wheels themselves were ok just were really dirty.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

These were all scrubbed and cleaned with some alloy wheel cleaner.

Posted Image

These then came up pretty well I thought...

Posted Image

The coloured lip on these are different to the normal style of lip. I prefer these.:) I then needed some rubber so I bought these of a chap off here for IIRC £50~ delivered and they have loads of tread which was a bonus.

Posted Image

Took these down to a mate that works for Merityre who then fitted them for me ;)

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
Well it's update time!.

This is how she sat for a long time.

Posted Image

Old engine and new engine.

Posted Image

The engine I bought from Ed on here who built the lovely sorrento. He called me one day and asked if he could borrow the engine crane again, I asked why and then a few days later he dropped the engine off with all the bits for the conversion!. :) it was only at that point I knew I would put a 6 engine in the car as I had no idea what route to go down.

Before putting the engine in I wanted to modify that big lump of iron that holds the PAS pump and alt etc, just to save a bit of weight.

Before...

Posted Image

During...

Posted Image

After, much better.

Posted Image

More to come. :)

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
Just added some more pictures to photo bucket...

After cutting the alt/pas bracket down it was time to fit the engine so out came the trusty engine crane.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After getting the engine in I just needed to add a spacer or two to the mounts to get it sitting level. The manifolds are all standard with the engine tilted around 10mm. Rather tham the standard soft item I fitted a 'smaller in height' top engine mount so the engine sits around half an inch lower than standard so I didn't get the usual clearance issues.

Next on the list was getting on with some wiring. I wanted to have the battery in the boot for a) for weight distribution and B) to have more room in the engine bay. All this stuff was bought from Vehicle wiring products onlne. I also made my own battery tray out of a piece of metal I cut out of an old washing machine. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And with the engine in fitted with the inlet manifold and a few other bits slowly getting ready for it to run.

Posted Image

dcc

dcc
  • Drivers+
  • 3,141 posts
  • Name:Dan
SNOW?!

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
I then started to sort out the two brown multi plugs after doing a bit of research on here.

Posted Image

A few other pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I made up some brackets for the rad to sit lower than standard to miss the engine. I needed to cut away the lip in the front bar to do this so out came the angle grinder.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then started to sort out the height for the rad and location of the ECU. I basically cut right down a standard box and made it fit infront of the expansion bottle.

Posted Image

Posted Image

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts

SNOW?!

^_^ I put the engine in December last year, it was bloody cold!.

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
Some more pics!

Posted Image

And then came fitting the 309 shafts. You can see the radiator mounts along with the radiator cowling that I later changed as the fan was not good enough/in a lower position so was replaced with two slim line fans.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Right the next thing was the interior. I really did not like the grey dash and plastics so spent along time dying these with plasticare which actually worked a treat!. I also spent a looonnng time washing the carpet. Every time I washed it with carpet cleaner dirty water just kept coming off it!. After 3 days of washing and a long time drying I got it back in the car. Only got a few pics of this.

Before:

Posted Image

Posted Image

During:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to come!.

Edited by matty_gti, 03 August 2012 - 10:24 PM.

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
One thing I did notice was the drive shaft on the nearside did not slide home all the way into the box. I'm using a Citroen box and the diff sits off centre so I needed the inner cup from a 306 driveshaft to fit onto the 309 shaft and hey presto it fits nicely. :)

After fitting the shafts I wanted to get the car down on her wheels to see the height of the suspension. Used some old discs and fitted the wheels on along with the front bumper I took off my TT. Some pics before putting the interior in,

Posted Image

Posted Image

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
Havn't looked at this for a little while so just a quick update. After get the car to its current condition then I though it needed some brakes. I used the front and rear calipers off the black 306 gti6 I broke up. They were romeved in working but grubby condition!.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just need to upload more to photobucket...

SurGie

SurGie
  • Drivers
  • 3,048 posts
  • Name:George
Great work there, good read as well, any idea when it will be road ready ?

This is the kind of thing ive done to my graphite
205, so i know what kind of effort that has to be put into it all, well done with the results.

eddie bullit

eddie bullit
  • Drivers+
  • 666 posts
  • Name:Paul
Looking really good! Keep it up
Edd

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
Thanks for the comments guys :)

Hopefully she will be on the road in the next 4 weeks :wub: I have had her SORN'd for the past 6 years!.

Well I've just added some more pics...

Work in progress on cleaning and then repainting the calipers.

Posted Image

Ordered all the brake unions and length of hose along with the discs and pads so was nice when new bits turn up!. Ordered some 90' bends for the calipers but went with straight swivel fittings in the end as the 90' bends were a pain to keep them straight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Making up the hoses with the unions was fairly easy and I just used bits of tape near the ends to show that I had done them up tight!. Also bought a new brake fluid bottle and cap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by matty_gti, 28 August 2012 - 08:45 PM.

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
And some more...Fitted the new 405 master cylinder which was painted silver

Posted Image

Next up was sorting a place to fit the bias valve,

Posted Image

Found these for a really good price on the bay, 306 GTI6 discs with dipples and groves with mintex pads.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These were then lightly covered in primer to stop them rusting.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by matty_gti, 28 August 2012 - 08:51 PM.

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
A few more,

Posted Image

Old rusty discs were scrapped with new 306 disc protectors and discs fitted,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

Edited by matty_gti, 28 August 2012 - 08:57 PM.

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
I then bought some yellow 'citron' glass paint and painted the fog lighs. Just wanted to get the face of the car back on!.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

allye

allye
  • Pitcrew+
  • 3,716 posts
  • Name:Ali Williams
Garage View Garage
This is insanely tidy, love all the upgrades too. However I'm still not happy you tease us with drips and draps!

Set aside a couple hours this week, sort your photos out, and post all the feckers up!

SurGie

SurGie
  • Drivers
  • 3,048 posts
  • Name:George
I'd be proud if mine came out anwhere near the way yours is going, i like how the yellow driving lights go with the graphite grey colour.

Has this car had a respray at some point as it looks very nice ?

Reply to this topic