Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_restoration] Cti Restoration

150 replies to this topic

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage

Now Taxed, Insured and MOT'd! So I took it for a long run yesterday in the sun with the roof down!

Not many incidents.

• Small oil leak from Dizzy - Needs a Seal
  • Fan Stays on - Think I’ve got a Headlight resistor plugged into it instead of the Fan one.
  • The Gear knob broke - Gutted as I'm not paying the silly money they are going for on eBay, so I bought a £30 Halfords one - It's a bit chav. I’m thinking of modelling one up in solidworks to 3d print.
  • It's pinking and smells a bit, so I need to work on the fuelling and timing, also drinks fuel. About 20 mpg.
  • The Speedo finally fixed itself as it must have been stuck, though it's still a little out, on the motorway It seemed to be out by about 10 MPH at 70. So MPG might not be as bad as I thought. I'm using a Black Large Speedo gear with a Yellow little one, taken from a BE3. The Cti has BE1. I have a White large gear and red small one to try. If that doesn't fix it I have an old set of clocks I can butcher.
  • A few rattles that you have to get used to with 205 ownership, - I think they could be improved by adjusting the exhaust and the loose reflector in the rear valance.
  • The lack of power steering has got me thinking about fitting one, but after a while I got used to it, probably after I developed muscles in a place reserved for cars without power steering.

Next is a trip to the body shop to touch up all the little nicks from assembly.

I’m also considering fitting the original bonnet as the auto one has large panel gaps against the wings as it might be a remanufactured one. still undecided yet though.

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage

:(  Not Cti weather!

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage

The Speedo finally fixed itself as it must have been stuck, though it's still a little out, on the motorway It seemed to be out by about 10 MPH at 70. So MPG might not be as bad as I thought. I'm using a Black Large Speedo gear with a Yellow little one, taken from a BE3. The Cti has BE1. I have a White large gear and red small one to try. If that doesn't fix it I have an old set of clocks I can butcher.

The white and red cog combo is correct for a GTi/CTi in both BE1 and BE3 so if you swap those over as a pair that should address the speedo accuracy issues I'd imagine.

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage

The white and red cog combo is correct for a GTi/CTi in both BE1 and BE3 so if you swap those over as a pair that should address the speedo accuracy issues I'd imagine.

Made no difference fitting white and red. It could be because Its running on 15" wheels? :unsure: or the speedo needle is a little stiff.

Need to really take it for a good run but the weather is poor. I've not been very far since I fitted the injectors I got from you.

Roll on summer :)

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
Providing that it's running 195/50R15 or 185/55R15 then the white/red cogs will be correct.

Both my current GTi and the couple before that were using red/white with the above and the speedo has been within about 2mph at 70mph in every case - indeed, the speedos in 205's seem to be really accurate compared to most newer stuff I find!

Speedo needle shouldn't be stiff at all btw - should move with almost no effort, so if yours is stiff then it probably needs replacing (or you've got the needle pushed on too far and it's catching on the face)

Slo

Slo
  • Drivers
  • 2,149 posts
  • Name:Andy
Garage View Garage

:(  Not Cti weather!

Apart from rain its always cti weather, wheres your spirit dont be afraid to drop the top just because its cold although i reccomend a wooly hat haa haa, thats why it has a built in quilt.

Wouldnt reccomend folding the rag down if its freezing though :excl:

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage

Providing that it's running 195/50R15 or 185/55R15 then the white/red cogs will be correct.

Both my current GTi and the couple before that were using red/white with the above and the speedo has been within about 2mph at 70mph in every case - indeed, the speedos in 205's seem to be really accurate compared to most newer stuff I find!

Speedo needle shouldn't be stiff at all btw - should move with almost no effort, so if yours is stiff then it probably needs replacing (or you've got the needle pushed on too far and it's catching on the face)

The standard wheels are 14". I've noticed that the tyre rubs on the inner wing on full lock. I've fitted  185/55R15 tyres, Anyone else had this problem with the Cti? The suspension set up is the same as the XS.

Apart from rain its always cti weather, wheres your spirit dont be afraid to drop the top just because its cold although i reccomend a wooly hat haa haa, thats why it has a built in quilt.

Wouldnt reccomend folding the rag down if its freezing though :excl:

Or Snow! ;)

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
  • Name:Tim McGivern
Garage View Garage
How are you getting on with this Alex?
Im trying to put myself off getting a CTi to add to the collection.

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage

Been fitting PAS to it.

Not a small job but pretty straight forward.

Hardest part was fitting the high pressure pipe under the manifold.

Attached File  139.jpg   255.97KB   0 downloads

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage

Rack before It was fitted.

Though now covered in scratches...sweat...tears....blood...and I bet its a little shaken up from verbal abuse too.

Yeah removing a manual rack is a piece of piss. Fitting a PAS rack is not... you have to lower the sub frame, which is advice worth having before you attempt something like this.

It's fitted though, just need to re arrange the pipework/wiring under the manifold AGAIN!. no wonder the manifold mounting bracket often goes missing, cos its tight as a gnats chuff under there.

Attached File  140.jpg   270.67KB   0 downloads

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage

A bit over exposed. but this is the best pic I have of the pump fitted.

Attached File  141.jpg   252.78KB   1 downloads

Reply to this topic