Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Upgrade] 205 Diesel

63 replies to this topic

calvinhorse

calvinhorse
  • Drivers+
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Calvin
Cool project dude, always enjoy the updates!

S@m

S@m
  • Drivers+
  • 1,199 posts

This has got me shopping for a donor Xantia, oh dear.

Anyway, i'm watching with interest, keep up the good work. :)

omega

omega
  • Drivers
  • 1,388 posts

daily driver plans gone out the window then!!! :D :D

you doing great work but I cant help thinking you only doing half the job eg you swapped the beam but didn't tackle the rust while it was off/ not having a go but It  would be easy to do it while the beam was off

BERTMAN

BERTMAN
  • Drivers+
  • 1,014 posts
  • Name:Liam
Garage View Garage

daily driver plans gone out the window then!!! :D :D

you doing great work but I cant help thinking you only doing half the job eg you swapped the beam but didn't tackle the rust while it was off/ not having a go but It  would be easy to do it while the beam was off

I know tell me about it!

Yeah... i hate doing that job... there's nothing easy about it and it takes f***ing ages! swapping the axle only took a couple of hours :\.

Plus its in reasonably good nick under there :D

stevietuck

stevietuck
  • Passengers
  • 19 posts
  • Name:steve tuckey

Love what your doing with this, I bought a 1.8 d a few weeks ago and have very similar plans, is the engine swap relatively straight forward?

Cheers steve.

BERTMAN

BERTMAN
  • Drivers+
  • 1,014 posts
Garage View Garage

I have still been working on this. Got it on its wheels for the first time with all of its new suspension. Brakes all bled up and new windscreen in! 

isit me or is fitting the windscreen a massive ballache of a job? My first attempt and it took ages! 

Tomorrow shall consist of welding up the boot, fixing the bonnet hinge and fitting the exhaust and then I'm hoping to take it for a little spin!! :D

Love what your doing with this, I bought a 1.8 d a few weeks ago and have very similar plans, is the engine swap relatively straight forward?

Cheers steve.

Yeah, its pretty straight forward, its essentially the same engine with a turbo on it. 

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts

isit me or is fitting the windscreen a massive ballache of a job? My first attempt and it took ages!

It must be you, I find them easy, how did you do it? I have some paracord which is about 6mm diameter and smooth, but strong. Feed it round the rubber, drop the screen in, pull the rope round, done.

BERTMAN

BERTMAN
  • Drivers+
  • 1,014 posts
Garage View Garage

It must be you, I find them easy, how did you do it? I have some paracord which is about 6mm diameter and smooth, but strong. Feed it round the rubber, drop the screen in, pull the rope round, done.

Used the same method but with some string doubled over. Hated every second of it and I get to do it again because...

whilst welding the bonnet hinge back in place abit of spatter cracked the new screen!!  :angry:  :lol: fml.

Anyway... had chance to play with the car again this weekend and managed to get her running.... like a bag of spanners but its a start. Took it for its first run round the farm too :D

stevietuck

stevietuck
  • Passengers
  • 19 posts

Hey mate, when you swap to the gti front subframe do you have to change anything with the gear linkage?

Cheers steve.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,022 posts
  • Name:Mei

not with an XUD.

stevietuck

stevietuck
  • Passengers
  • 19 posts

Cheers welshpug , I got all the gti stuff a few weeks ago off a breaker and have been slowly cleaning it all up and painting ready to go on , but read somewhere about a guy putting the gti stuf on an xs and he needed to move the gear linkage on the subframe. I thought I would be ok with both the gti and the diesel being xu engines but thought id ask to make sure. 

Weser

Weser
  • Drivers+
  • 516 posts
  • Name:Andy

You will need to weld the brackets that support the front brake hoses, onto the wheel arches. Well I did when I ran the gti setup on my diesel. They hold the hoses out of the way of the drop links.

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,218 posts

As above, I had to move the brake hose brackets when I fitted a GTI subframe to a CTI but apparently they don't all require that.

stevietuck

stevietuck
  • Passengers
  • 19 posts

Thanks for the advise guys, I have gti struts and brakes too so should all go together ok.

BERTMAN

BERTMAN
  • Drivers+
  • 1,014 posts
Garage View Garage

Echoing above comments - i riveted the brackets in a different location...

BERTMAN

BERTMAN
  • Drivers+
  • 1,014 posts
Garage View Garage

Well, I haven't updated in a while... been ridiculously busy up until recently. 

I got the car running, but couldn't get it to run 100% and it smoked like a good-un (timing related I think). I also was never overly happy about the top mounted intercooler situation either in truth; so in my usual fashion: change of plan :o.

20151122_155651_zpsxc60jeqm.jpg

Ripped the old lump out, and got the angle grinder out in preparation for some surgery.

20151107_122307_zpsetqntdmh.jpg

20151213_161302_zpsasl017ud.jpg

Minor bit of chopping to the front panel and the intercooler fits nicely behind the bumper. I want this to be as subtle as possible so barely visible from the outside.

Small bracket to locate the intercooler against the front panel at the bottom, with it leaning slightly forward and mounted into the bumper itself and tie bar to support it to the slam panel. I think it looks reasonably neat. 

Main issue with having this massive intercooler is that its taken most of the space for the radiator cowlling. So its been binned. 

I made a bracket for the radiator and mounted it lower and further back than standard:

20151212_173537_zps86hobtss.jpg

BERTMAN

BERTMAN
  • Drivers+
  • 1,014 posts
Garage View Garage

and then fitted some fans directly to the radiator instead: all wired through the cars OE relay system. 

20151213_152000_zpsemuixh9p.jpg​

Engine... put to one side, and threw in another one... d8a, slightly tweaked VE pump, reconditioned cylinder head 1500 miles ago along with headgasket and water pump. I swapped over everything I tinkered with from the old engine onto this one. I have gone with the Citroen Xantia inlet this time:

20151129_130841_zps3jhitgmi.jpg

General intercooler routing goes like so now: Managed to just sqeeze a standard 306D Turbo intake piping in over the top although its a very tight fit to shut the bonnet now. So the auto bonnet may go on.

20151129_130824_zpszu3lfjfy.jpg

20151213_161255_zpsnsx3f6bh.jpg

I need to tap into the intercooler piping somewhere next for the boost gauge and VE pump, and then the big start (again). 

Edited by BERTMAN, 13 December 2015 - 07:12 PM.

BERTMAN

BERTMAN
  • Drivers+
  • 1,014 posts
Garage View Garage

took it for its first spin today! Then recorded my sister driving off in it too (private land)... and returning a little sheepish! Think she scared herself! haha. 

Certainly goes well, needs a little tweaking but getting there now :)

Started first time without hesitation after I hard wired the bosch pump directly to the battery. It won't work through the switched live and a relay at the minute... so thats next on the list!

http://vid77.photobu...zpsyds6p5sz.mp4

http://vid77.photobu...zpscdpqfndf.mp4

BERTMAN

BERTMAN
  • Drivers+
  • 1,014 posts
Garage View Garage

Few more pics:

20151224_153917_zps1yqt5kfh.jpg

20151224_153927_zpsltz87rxr.jpg

20151224_153941_zpshwaegntg.jpg