Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_restoration] 405 T16 Restoration

355 replies to this topic

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Bracket looking better today, managed to grit blast the bracket and the rear wheelbearing carriers today after I did some maintenance on my daily driver 405 2.1 TD smile.gif

Just gave them a spray with the Acid treatment before I left, will give them some paint later on smile.gif

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Some progress done, been sandblasting some more stuff.
Some front hubs and carriers etc. some for my 205 gti project.

And then some paint

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Some progress, not much but at least some smile.gif

Sandblasted the other front carrier, and started to chop out rust from the left side sill.

I'll be removing some more metal before I will grind and sandblast a little on the last rust before I weld in some fresh metal.

I'll be very happy when the sill rust is done as I've not exactly looked forward to fix this... sleep.gif

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Just small small progress everyday, that's how I try to do this project..

Most of the rust is now gone... need to grind and weld some new metal in there.

Also protected the rear trailing arms before I send them away for sandblasting.. (heavy equipment stuff so better blank off important areas so they don't distort).

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Checking valve clearances/valve pockets and everything actually seem to fit just fine smile.gif

It's quite strange as I just bought the pistons from eBay, they are made for a completely different car make smile.gif

Approx 5mm valve lift possible without head gasket in place. Think that should be enough for all the cam configurations that will ever be used on a turbo engine smile.gif

Now I'm just waiting for the Pauter rods to arrive smile.gif

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Have been working some more on this rusty crappy shell now.

Rust in front left arch cut out:

Also rear left inner arch had rust between plate and boot floor...

The worst however (apart from left front arch which is fixed already) is the rear left arch... It seem that I might need to remove the strengthener part that the front mount of the rear subframe bolts too.. because the plate going underneath it is so rusted... bashed two holes through it with a screwdriver quite easily...

Not much motivation of such discoveries, just a lot more work. dry.gif

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
One more picture of the pistons.

They are indeed very light, I could not find any lighter ones suitable for this engine.

About uprated gudgeon pins.. are they using ones with more metal (ie.. heavier)? Or just uprated material quality? I think I'll end up just using the ones that came with the pistons though...

Guest_davetibbs_*

Guest_davetibbs_*
  • Guests
Loving these updates smile.gif

What car were the pistons for, out of interest?

cammmy

cammmy
  • Passengers
  • 4 posts
Good work. Nice to see you saving this beastie

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Thanks guys, it's been more than two years of hard work up till now.

The pistons are from a Honda engine. They have 21cc dish and are 87mm bore.

Needed to get custom rods to use them though.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
what size are the pins? are they standard bore for the honda?

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Pins are 22mm if I remember correctly.

And I think the bore is std. Honda at 87mm (I think also 87.5 and 88mm was avaliable).

I believe this is the same ones:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item35a7636aa6

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Have been cutting away some more metal to try to get an impression how bad it is on the left rear side.

Seem the whole bump stop bracket must go off and also outer layer of metal must off to get to the rust which is on the second metal layer...

Got a little tired of rust so prepped the steering rack instead, will paint it and put new gaitors, inner- and outer joints in place..

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
As I already said the 405 casing must be used so internals from xsara rack must be switched over if that's the plan (I'm not 100% sure it fits but it's quite likely it will smile.gif)

I painted the rack today, metallic and 2 component laquer afterwards.

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Got some new parts for the rack too, still missing one rod end but hey it's not a hurry yet tongue.gif

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Steering rack is now refurbed.

Also grit blasted the rear diff mounting bracket.

Apart from that not much progression, it's -20 deg these days so not too nice to be in garage smile.gif

Pauters will be arriving this week smile.gif

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Pauter rods arrived biggrin.gif

They even seem to fit smile.gif

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Started to clean the T16 block.. it was a bastard to remove the big pipe that goes though the block in front and down to sump, ended up totally destroying it before I got it out.. anyone know what's attached to it? 2.5cm diameter metal pipe?

Decided not to sandblast the block as I really don't wanna get any sand and dirt into oil channels. Just get away the worst rust by using a rotating steel brush and will just slap on some black hammerite.

Some brackets I powdercoated.. very handy to avoid all the crap that comes with normal spray paint.

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Painted engine block now.

Shotblasted the rockercover

And started cleaning the head. didn't seem like it had got many oil changes as everything in the camshaft area was very dark colored, put it in a diesel bath so maybe it will dissolve.

petert1345402284

petert1345402284
  • Drivers
  • 418 posts
Nice work. I've been missing this as I haven't been logging on.

Gudgeon pins for turbo engines are sometimes parallel rather than tapered. So upgrade if you're going to make big hp.

I've been able to buy pinion seal kits (thanks Jeff) for the steering rack. They come with upper, lower and stack seals. It's quite easy to remove the upper seal if you have a lathe and a four jaw chuck. Set it up on centre then, rotate chuck by hand with a sharp and pointy tool to remove the swaging. The swaging retains the hardened steel washer. The same kit fits 205. I'd never refit a rack now without changing the seals.

The oil return pipe is a bugger to remove from the block. It's only pressed in. Heat will help. You really need to make a tool from aluminium that fits down the centre, which you can hit with a hammer, for both removing and installing.

Reply to this topic