• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

m@ttc

[car_restoration] Matts Standard 1.9 Lazer

m@ttc

I think its best i just ignore it for a bit and get done the bits ive started, next job then is to fit this.

post-14295-0-63518000-1377625436_thumb.jpg

just a quick question why wont a second picture upload in the same post even if its smaller in size than the first picture?

m@ttc

well before i could start fitting my new panel, i had to put some new metal onto the chassis leg. started like this.

9703910548_a2b89270d3.jpg

with all rust removed and primered i could start welding

9700678353_7bb517a954.jpg

9703911326_4fa20503e6.jpg

9700677919_5823a059ea.jpg

handy magnets

9700677721_2c4466be9b.jpg

:)

9700677633_33925b8ae7.jpg

9703910782_9b4a47a0e3.jpg

9703909316_d7f9b1327a.jpg

m@ttc

made me a tool to extened my wire brush/de-burring brush.

9700675799_188da2242d.jpg

i could then get into clean up the weld on the inside

9703910136_37a44538fa.jpg

next up was to prep the new panel it had started to get a little rust starting under the black paint so i cleaned it up and drilled the holes for plug welding

9703908094_b981f7a378.jpg

removed old seam sealer as it had started to crack

9700676409_e333eedaa7.jpg
]9700675493_d92ec7ee35.jpg

theres a couple of spotwelds wich needed attention before i can fit the new panel, where its clamped between two other panels, the old slug had to be removed

before

9703909740_2ffb25c4a8.jpg

make bush to protect front panel use an endmill to cut out slug

9703908864_1710e81c42.jpg
after

the damage on the front panel was caused first which made me decide to make the bush it'll make a right mess of it otherwise

9703908680_67bb45e6a8.jpg

so today started out like this

9700675447_59fe5c6437.jpg

and this is how its is now, got rain off today :angry:

9700674755_2b79ba3d27.jpg

when i removed the old panel drilling out the last spotweld the chassis leg dropped down and i dont know how much by, i have a fair idea because i scribbed everything up before taking panels off. i was thinking i'd get a straight edge across the subframe mounting points and record the level with a bubble level then move the straight edge to the bumper mounting eyelets at the end of each chassis leg and jack up the the low chassis leg until i have the same level recorded from the subframe points. (if that makes sense :blink: ) well that is if no one tells me a reason not to, its a little hard without a jig dont know how else to do it.

Tom Fenton

Super tidy job buddy, hats off to you.

acox99

That's an exceptionally tidy job. Did you measure the turrets with string with removing so you have a reference as to where to out them so they are all in line?

m@ttc

Thanks for the kind words,

string? Is that for a measurement from the floor to turret? So its at the right angle? Because the turret has not been removed.

Davy

Flip me! No messing about here with patches over the top of rust etc! Well done!

It'll be tricky enough getting everything tacked back in the correct position. At the end of the day the critical dimensions will be from strut tops to sub frame monting holes, so maybe the subframe could be bolted on? This would perhaps give a better reference to measure to and would help set the 'sideways' position of the chassic leg? Then a decent straight edge across the two strut tops may help with getting the chassis leg height to match the passengers side?

It's in capable hands by the looks of things. Good luck!

acox99

Ahh I thought the turret had come off as well. Cracking job. Not for the faint hearted.

Emmy Seize

I love the wire brush extension!

johniban

I think its best i just ignore it for a bit and get done the bits ive started, next job then is to fit this.

attachicon.gifSAM_0951.JPG

just a quick question why wont a second picture upload in the same post even if its smaller in size than the first picture?

Where did you get that part from? is it a pattern part? i need some :)

richw250

Fair Play mate, looks like a top job on this, cant wait to see it finished, keep the pics coming and good work coming.

P.s top marks on the welding (y)

m@ttc

Well the weathers been absolutely pants since i last updated this. A word of advice don't tackle this job on your driveway :mellow: not in one of the worst wet years in a long time.

some of the repairs have surface rust on as they were in primer only, but ive cleaned them up, got the car off the driveway and into a familiy members garage to get it sorted.

back into this project :D i'll get some pics up soon.

m@ttc

well imanaged to get it somewhere better to work on.

so from here

SAM_1511_zps8f9250ac.jpg

to here :)

th_SAM_1569_zps36a1ff0d.jpg

thats better

due to the bad assembly of the front panel i've had to strip it rub down and re-prime the individual panels ready for re assembly

SAM_1591_zpse8e15b3f.jpg

SAM_1585_zps7f3ce1f9.jpg

shocking :wacko: aroung 30% of the spot welds wernt even welded to the next panel either.

SAM_1592_zps6f37f81a.jpg

this is were im at now

SAM_1593_zps8641e22b.jpg

i need to line every thing up correctly before its all welded.

m@ttc

oh yeh, in then time over winter i have also striped the dash

SAM_1225_zpsf831bd75.jpg

and got engine on a stand and got it ready for a strip down, which i wont do untill ive got the shell more sorted.

SAM_1526_zps1492df44.jpg

i could really do with an old engine loom to make some repaire's to mine it has a few issues.

johniban

your a very brave man! gone right back on that front end, i know what you mean about doing the car on the drive, it sucks and puts me off going out there

m@ttc

yeh its been a bit of a head scratching time getting the panel in the right place and the turret in the right position. but im confident i have mastered it, the front frame with the caster wheels on acts as a jig to keep the turrets in the right pos and the right distance from the chassis leg. As well as being able to move it around easy. ;)

m@ttc

heres a few progress pics

SAM_1596_zps7dc08e5a.jpg

SAM_1598_zps1441b638.jpg

SAM_1603_zps7ff23858.jpg

ive tacked the inner wings into position for now, the headlight panels are all held on with clamps. i'm almost happy with things, when i am i tack all the panels and fit the headlights, grill, bumper, bonnets etc. if all lines up good ill weld it all together.

• Like 1

m@ttc

here's some pics under the rear seats. I think that's next after this part. :( i just want an mot cert :)

SAM_1595_zps17291783.jpg

SAM_1594_zpsfaf7ae5b.jpg

Edited by m@ttc

m@ttc

got some more update pics :)

this ones from last update i forgot to put in

SAM_1601_zpsf940bd0d.jpg

ive got all the panel's tak'd on now and fitted the lights etc, to see if all is straight, i'm thinking it looks pretty good and, i think i'm happy with it.

going to go ahead and weld it all up. have a look more eyes better than one :D

SAM_1626_zps76328c31.jpg

SAM_1623_zps9298380d.jpg

SAM_1624_zpsfbfbe6e3.jpg

SAM_1622_zps5f74737d.jpg

I had to put the inner headlamp adjuster's quite high in their mating panels elongated holes which i wasn't sure about. Ive had a look on my diesel 205 there same on that too, maybe crapy design?

Edited by m@ttc

2052NV

All those panels line up better than mine do and mines origonal! haha

Davy

Looking good Matt, and probably better aligned than some that came off the production line! Keep up the good work!

m@ttc

Looking good Matt, and probably better aligned than some that came off the production line! Keep up the good work!

were they quite poorly aligned then new?

Davy

were they quite poorly aligned then new?

I've no idea how well your avaerage headlight would have been aligned in the factory and couldnt put a figure on an acceptable gaps etc, however working in a production environment I can say that tight tolerancing equates to more expense (sometimes a shocking amount more!)... so while things like critical engine components and safety equipment are manufactured and assembled to high tolerances, something like a headlight assembley would be designed with 'plenty of slack' in the build, so that good old jean-pierre could get them fitted in about 30 seconds. I guess it's all part of the charm of our little mass produced wonders.

That said, anyone advertising one with the headlight half covered by the grill, claiming "that's just the way they were built." should probably be avoided. ^_^

• Like 1

m@ttc

Thanks guys, i'm going ahead now and welding all panels on which is going well.

also cleaning out the shed to do jobs like this, bit of a random update i know.

i brought this this in 2011 the car was taken off the road in 2011 so it didn't do many miles.

WP_20140416_002_zps00447f43.jpg

looking pretty bad for its usage

a quick scotchbright and duck oil.

WP_20140416_003_zps8c367729.jpg

I wish i'd tried to protect it earlier, the stickers have done a good job of corrosion protection :)