Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Upgrade] 1.9 Gti Rust Repairs And Bodywork

311 replies to this topic

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
  • Name:John
Garage View Garage

looking good
i hope to see another 205 local to me on the road next summer

ill be very lucky if its done by next summer

james_pug

james_pug
  • Drivers+
  • 481 posts
Garage View Garage
this use to belong to a member on here called rob i think i cant remember his username though, good luck with the repairs that sill looks quite rusty whats the front end like?

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

this use to belong to a member on here called rob i think i cant remember his username though, good luck with the repairs that sill looks quite rusty whats the front end like?

Really? he from down south?
Yeah the sill is rotten as a pear, and the brake hose mount underneath is screwed into the fllor with a wood screw as it rusted away.
not had the front end apart yet, my grage isnt that big so can only take apart one end at a time.
Would love to pull the whole car apart get it sand blasted and fix rust and spray but not go the space :(

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,022 posts
  • Name:Mei
he's from Shropshire.

vtifan

vtifan
  • Drivers+
  • 227 posts
  • Name:Peter
i dont mean to spread doom and gloom but your inner sill will be rotten right up to the door,and bottom of sill extremely rusty to the point that its the stone chip holding it together and it will more than likely rot through in near future,it looks just like my shell was both sides,and the only way to fix it is to take the sill off and replace it,sills are only 30 quid though

james_pug

james_pug
  • Drivers+
  • 481 posts
Garage View Garage

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showuser=15479

im sure that was the the previous owner if you look through his posts he may of put some pics of it on, it must be a right pain working on it in a small garage.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

http://forum.205gtid...?showuser=15479

im sure that was the the previous owner if you look through his posts he may of put some pics of it on, it must be a right pain working on it in a small garage.

he doesnt have any posts to view. yeah is a pain, its not that small but i got tool box ect

i dont mean to spread doom and gloom but your inner sill will be rotten right up to the door,and bottom of sill extremely rusty to the point that its the stone chip holding it together and it will more than likely rot through in near future,it looks just like my shell was both sides,and the only way to fix it is to take the sill off and replace it,sills are only 30 quid though

Your not speading doom and gloom.
the outer sill isnt bad at all.
its the inner sill that is rotten

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
He does when you click on "Find Content" instead of User's Topic or Posts:

http://forum.205gtid...ivity&mid=15479

By the way, I'm currently working in an even smaller garage on a Miami in a pretty much similar shape :ph34r:.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
just spoke to him :)

gti_bob

gti_bob
  • Passengers
  • 27 posts
  • Name:Johnathon Wheeler
Cool project mate. I just joined and posted a few pics of my gti. After reading a few posts I think Im lucky as I found no rot yet just surface rust.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
thank you bob, ive not had a chance to touch it yet really, saving up for a new welder so i can start cutting parts out.
get a project thread up id like to see it

pugpete1108

pugpete1108
  • Drivers+
  • 2,544 posts
Garage View Garage
Man up I've just done a full respray in a garage that size :)

Lots of shuffling about and a loft full of car parts.

Oh and an engine in the kitchen......

Keep up the good work

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

my garage is away from home so only have that space for the parts aswell as working on the car.

the problem i have is getting the car high enough to work on! need to replace the inner sill and isnt really enough space to work on it down the side of the car in the garage, i need to get the fuel tank off ect. just knowwere to put it it annoys me

NFS

NFS
  • Drivers
  • 474 posts
  • Name:Tristin

Chin up mate, it will all be worth it in the end, my workshop isn’t massive and I have all the parts there and a full workshop of tools and compressors. You just need to be creative with how you lay out the parts, could you not take some home with you? that’s what I have done, I have a spare room with all the interior parts in.

As for jacking it up you could either jack from the front subframe and the rear beam and use the same place for the axle stands. There is always places to support it, or when you get your welder you could make yourself a shell roller thing.

What happened to me was I had it jacked up and on axle stands then removed the rear beam before taking the engine out, once the beam was removed the car tilted forward and once I braced it up I had a crazy amount of room to treat and underseal the underneath.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

ive took the rear beam off and the engine is still in, i wasnt that lucky :(

got some time off over xmas going to make some progress on it

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

Booked some time off over xmas so while the mrs was working i got down the garage and got on with some bits on the 205,

Firstly i had a tidy up to clear some much needed space, 

BCF14DF5-010E-4636-9891-66CAF8DC1AB5-277

065DABB3-0B52-4DBA-A974-125B7194AAF5-277

Theres just not enough room for everything but i try and do my best with what i got, 

Got a new welder witch has improved my welding dramatically~!

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

When i free up some cash ill buy some metal supplies and make a nice workbench that my tool box will go under and to mount the vice, at the moment i got an old computer table and a dog gaurd as a table that ive tacked onto my tool box

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

Got the fuel tank off after cutting all the bolts off!

20ED857F-B7C2-4549-87B2-7C059A4DF3F5-277

As much as some people may hate what im going to do i feel it is best for me.. im going to cut out where the original tank was as its rotten and sink a nice stainless tank into the floor, ill make a well for it to sit in.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

cut the offside outer sill to see how far back the inner sill was rotten

C9F83DCD-008E-4F8C-8283-C08AF2DE5EEB-277

D93F375F-E069-46B8-99B6-35DCB0FD02C1-277

the inner sill has practiacally nothing left of it, will have to do alot of cutting and welding here

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

C55799F7-6EC6-4900-9CFC-1BED23D29445-277

6775291A-FBC6-468E-83E6-3C79BA98D014-277

B0AAD913-BF88-497B-87E4-CFE8838154E7-277

F1F63F5C-7B77-420E-AB9E-744188F4DC12-277

Reply to this topic