Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Restoration] Dimma Restoration

530 replies to this topic

dcc

dcc
  • Drivers+
  • 3,141 posts
  • Name:Dan
as far as i know, the genuine dimmas were all accident repairs. but looking like you will be doing a Good job!

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
I think you ought to check what's the bodywork like behind the rear arches, until it's too late.

P.S. Don't set fire to your templates :P.

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
  • Name:justin
Garage View Garage
Im ordering headlight panel,sills and rear arches over next few weeks to make a start on repairs going to focus on front end first then tackle difficult job of removing dimma quarters. I belive its not worth taking risk under kit as i want it to last and bring it back to glory.

Edited by Juttie205, 17 November 2012 - 10:29 PM.

Liquid_106

Liquid_106
  • Drivers+
  • 472 posts
  • Name:Steve
Garage View Garage
Would it be better to do the rear arches first, then you'd know how big the job was and if the shell was too far gone before you did all that work to the front. Or is it a case of you're keeping the shell, regardless of what state it's in?

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Im keeping it reguardless can allways repair too many shells get scrapped for welding work i have felt up in rear arch and it feels solid but wont know till kit off.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
It aint no BL/Ford/GM/BMW/Mercedes product! and you see the work that goes into them when they get so far beyond most scrapped pugs ;)

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Spent a few hours this morning stripping engine ready for removal all thats left is engine mounts and driveshafts just got to pick up engine crane from my dads in week and it will be out.
I attacked the rotton inner arch with the wire wheel to see how far rot had gone managed to fine good metal also looks like its had a repair here in its time and not done well.
You can see creative repair with plate held in with screws shocking some people need shooting

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then ran a quick marker line what I belive will need cutting out and new section made.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hoping within next few days will have engine out picking up some corners from cameron at weekend and will order headlight panel on payday then can start cutting rot out and repairing the poor girl.

james_pug

james_pug
  • Drivers+
  • 481 posts
Garage View Garage
looks like you've got alot of work and welding ahead, good to see this dimma getting restored i've got quite a few pictures of it from pugfest a few years ago.

Edited by james_pug, 19 November 2012 - 08:17 PM.

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Yep looking forward to getting it back to it former glory still not decided yet to keep car red or change to another peugeot colour.

farmer

farmer
  • Drivers+
  • 1,821 posts
  • Name:Farmer
Garage View Garage
yup if i can get what you asked for be as good as gold

where in scotland you buy it ?

Edited by farmer, 19 November 2012 - 09:37 PM.

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Corran ferry

Yeah if you can get bits and for gd price will be like new.

aggyj

aggyj
  • Passengers
  • 14 posts
looking like your making good progress mate. from dereham not to far from me im from sutton bridge ;)

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Yes mate not far at all

Kev-G

Kev-G
  • Drivers
  • 738 posts
It would be far easier to get a base model shell + transfer over the kit?

Given that it's a Dimma esp., there is no real need/benefit in keeping the original (particularly in the condition it's in).

I'd definitely like to see behind the arches....Any Dimma's I've seen with the kit removed look like they were modified with the blunt side of an axe!!

If that's the car I'm thinking of (previous thread's on here showing it getting re-commisioned a couple of years back?), then I'm shocked at the state of it....Blatant bodgery at it's worst.

:(

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Why reshell thats why so many cars get scrapped this is not beyond saving just needs some tlc once fronts sorted remove kit fit new sills and rear arches shell should be good.

Daniel306

Daniel306
  • Drivers
  • 89 posts
Garage View Garage
Posted Image

This is what mine was like, but its been off the road since 2004. iv got a new Non sunroof shell for it as this one really is too far gone

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
How did you remove the kit if you dont mind me asking.

Has that quarter panel got any paint on it?

Edited by Juttie205, 20 November 2012 - 08:17 PM.

Daniel306

Daniel306
  • Drivers
  • 89 posts
Garage View Garage
Paint scraper, hacksaw blade and a wide sharp chizzel for some harder parts. because its mostly rust it was not to bad

Edited by Daniel306, 20 November 2012 - 08:18 PM.

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Thanks that panel does not look painted?

Daniel306

Daniel306
  • Drivers
  • 89 posts
Garage View Garage
It was a silver car original, When they fitted the kit they must have removed the paint so that the kit could be bonded to steel. Im also sure the car has been smashed as some point before the kit was fitted

Edited by Daniel306, 20 November 2012 - 08:27 PM.

Reply to this topic