Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Restoration] Dimma Restoration

530 replies to this topic

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
  • Name:justin
Garage View Garage
Lets hope mines not as bad but if it is will sort it

Daniel306

Daniel306
  • Drivers
  • 89 posts
Garage View Garage
This one had cracked down the boot so watter was getting in, must just have worked it's way round over the years. its a original TT with a new turbo still in the box in the boot. only problem is it had Image split wheels and i could only find two of the original wheels

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Back of my kit prob best bit no cracks and can feel up in arch all feels solid so fingers crossed.

Daniel306

Daniel306
  • Drivers
  • 89 posts
Garage View Garage
Posted Image

Posted Image

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Mines nothing like that so fingers crossed

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Not done too much else to it yet apart from remove engine and front seats and started to remove sunroof so I can measure up to see if a vacum sunroof can be fitted.

I started to clean up rotten inner wing to see where im going to cut out and as im picking up 2 good corners from cameron next weekend im more than likly going to drill out spot welds of inner wings remove completly and fit replacement ones from cameron's corners

These are the corners im going to pick up will strip clean up and carry out any welding that needs doing.

Posted Image

These dont look too bad so should be a good base for repair new headlight panel ordered aswell.

Heres a couple of pics of inner arch that will be removed as you can see will have to remove engine mount and drill spots around strut to removed complete panel.

Posted Image
Posted Image

vtifan

vtifan
  • Drivers+
  • 227 posts
  • Name:Peter
i think if your sills need replacing you will find that the rot has spread through the inner sills and triangular fillet panel next to tank,its amazing what the pug sealer holds together :D

Carbs4me

Carbs4me
  • Drivers
  • 552 posts
I thought my inner wings where bad... but then i seen this!

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Managed to get drivers side skirt of this sill needs replacing next up remove passenger then remove quarters to see what they are hiding

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
Little update....

Drivers side sideskirt removed to show sill rotten.
Posted Image

Then I started the task of removing the rear quarter kit at first I thought this was going to be a little daunting but once i rubbed down to expose all pot rivits I drilled them all out then set on removing filler that blended kit on.
I used various scrapers hack saw blades and a dremel with a cutting disc on worked wonders and bingo after a couple of nights the quarter was removed didnt even crack it well chuffed.

I was'nt looking forward to what it was hiding due to the state of the sill and inner wings and headlight panel but low and behold someone must be looking out for me as there is only little amounts of surface rust which will be treated.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Im picking up some inner wings on sunday headlight panel allready here i'm on holiday next week so plan is to remove passenger sideskirt and quarter i'm hoping quarter will be as good as drivers side if sill gone which I belive it is will order new sills then welding can begin then will start to prep bodykit ready for refitting once all bodywork down can start on full restoration of all other parts.

kuuner

kuuner
  • Drivers
  • 169 posts
  • Name:Koen
Garage View Garage
A couple of weeks ago you came along at www.peugeotdimma.nl Noticed that you are the new owner of this Dimma. Couldn't believe that it was in this bad shape. And I have great respect that you will go on. If i were you, i should reshell it (like some others told you to do). this is amount of work, pfffff. I should be desparate...

Luckily i'm not you, so keep up the good work. And i will follow this thread! good luck.

ps; wise decision to remove the quarters before you did all the work at the front.

@ Daniel306 will sent me a PM with some details, if you want? I'm gathering info for my Dimma-register.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
I can well believe the amount of corrosion there, sticking a plastic panel on top of a rubbed down steel one is a recipe for rust!

I'm wondering if it would be more worthwhile fabricating a full replacement wide panel rather than just adding two to the shell, would save a fair bit of weight!

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
thanks for the comments guys like ive said im hoping not to reshell the car as it wouldnt be a geniune dimma then i now have all parts for front repair and have allready started cutting the rot out.
passenger quarter will be removed this week then will start repairs to front once that done car will go on rotating stand then will sort sills out and undercar and clean all arches up and reseal only then will think about refitting kit.

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage

Another update....

Passenger quarter panel and sideskirt removed this one was alittle harder to get off and sadly due to some fiberglass damage over the years its looks as if the arch may have to be replaced and bumper support bracket starting to rot out(may have to make own unless some pop up in group buy again soon).

PC060063.jpg

PC060064.jpg

PC060065.jpg

As you can see bracket rotted and so has bottom of arch so looks like I will cut arch out and weld new panel in and new bracket.

PC060062.jpg

Kit Removed.

Car starting to look alittle bare...

PC060066.jpg

PC060067.jpg

PC060068.jpg

I started to remove the rotten headlight panel I tried a dummy fit of new panel and glad i did as panel wrong and wont line up with anything new one coming friday.

PC060061.jpg

PC060060.jpg

Next job is to clean up front end then start to dissasemble the other corners I have and remove the good inner wings from them then will decide where im going to cut and weld on mine then fit headlight panel that will be front repaired.

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage

Here are a couple of pictures of the headlight panel and as you can see where the chassis legs go it has been welded in wrong position.

PC060058.jpg

PC060059.jpg

Edited by Juttie205, 06 December 2012 - 02:56 PM.

kuuner

kuuner
  • Drivers
  • 169 posts
  • Name:Koen
Garage View Garage

the front seems to be worser than the back. Didn't expact that.

vtifan

vtifan
  • Drivers+
  • 227 posts
  • Name:Peter

did you see the genuine pug new inner wings on ebay mate.both sides available

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei

I'm afraid most complete front panels will be like that, best bet is to drill the spots out and sort it yourself or get separate parts.

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
Garage View Garage
think you might be right about the panel have got a new one coming today.

sensualt101

sensualt101
  • Drivers
  • 361 posts
  • Name:Mark
Garage View Garage

i have to say i am following your thread with great interest and have maximum respect for you saving a car with that much rot! :)

i am sure many would have gone for a reshell after finding the car in that condition!

Reply to this topic