Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Restoration] My 1989 205 1.9 Gti Restoration Project

359 replies to this topic

j_turnell

j_turnell
  • Pitcrew+
  • 4,146 posts
  • Name:James
Garage View Garage

Fantastic attention to detail, car looks great, you have far more patience than I do! I need to do the same on my drivers door, I'll take a couple of inserts off your hands, let me know how much for a pair. Thanks

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Well done Paul, look forward to seeing the car at Pugfest, just one request please don't park it near mine!!

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
  • Name:Tim McGivern
Garage View Garage
Great work Paul!!

Im really looking forward to seeing yours in person!!!! Absolutely beautiful!!

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Fantastic attention to detail, car looks great, you have far more patience than I do! I need to do the same on my drivers door, I'll take a couple of inserts off your hands, let me know how much for a pair. Thanks

Hi James, £5 incl postage for a pair of the inserts.

Edited by mrfirepro, 24 June 2015 - 07:29 PM.

mowflow

mowflow
  • Drivers
  • 536 posts
Incredible. Not actually visited this thread since it more or less started so have pretty much just read righ through.

It's extremely impressive but slightly demoralising as I realise I still have a long way to go and even then its not going to touch this standard.

Rock Lobster

Rock Lobster
  • Drivers+
  • 274 posts
  • Name:Huw
Looking good, second to none! If you still have some inserts I'll take enough to do both doors please mate?

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

It was really good to meet lots of you at Pugfest and thanks for so many positive comments. The weather was kind, the judges were kind and to top it off Tom decided to keep me company for the day. :)

Now the restoration is over (or was that "over restoration" ;) ) apart from getting the disks plated (thanks Tom) that's it for this project.

I plan to do some before and after shots and will post as soon as there done, in the mean time a few shots from Pugfest 15.....

P1000052_666x500.jpg

P1000053_666x500.jpg

P1000054_666x500.jpg

P1000057_666x500.jpg

P1000056_666x500.jpg

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
Well Paul those pictures just don't do it justice at all, it's a stunning thing and a real credit to you. For me I think it's the interior that really sets it apart, there are lots of nice 205's out there with shiny paint, but yours really does look inside like it's just rolled into a dealer from the factory. I must admit I found your end result difficult to understand, some of the other cars were lovely, but I personally felt the judges were maybe a little hard on you, as there was very little in my eyes you could have done to improve your car.
In comparison mine looked a shed!! But glad I could pass on just one little tip about the brakes, I expect to see clean and shiny disc hubs next time I see it 😁

farmer

farmer
  • Drivers+
  • 1,821 posts
  • Name:Farmer
Garage View Garage
Car looks spot on Paul

Just goes to show you if you put the time in and spend the money on the good/right parts it pays off.

Edited by farmer, 13 July 2015 - 09:48 PM.

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
  • Name:justin
Garage View Garage
Pictures make this car look superb and can only imagine its better in the flesh i was also shocked to read you didn't get 1st place as it looks like the most full restoration you can do and has inspired me alot with my dimma.

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III

just one request please don't park it near mine!!

and to top it off Tom decided to keep me company for the day.

Guess Tom tempted fate with that one!  :D

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

well spotted, that did make me chuckle.... :lol:

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts

Guess Tom tempted fate with that one!  :D

Absolutely, I entered the show and shine late on (about 10:30 Sunday) and the only space left was next to Paul!

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
Please tell me Paul placed in the S&S?! Having seen his car in the metal it's practically new. As Tom says shiny paint is one thing but the level of detail throughout is damned near perfect.

What does one have to do to get a trophy?????

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

I came third in Concours standard, with which I am delighted. The main problem was not the restoration but my presentation and some real basic school boy errors. It was my first time and the judges were helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

I really enjoyed the whole experience and can't wait until next year. I'm not telling tales out of school but I wasn't the only winner was I Tom........ :o

Edited by mrfirepro, 14 July 2015 - 10:21 PM.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts

I'm not telling tales out of school but I wasn't the only winner was I Tom........ :o

Yes apparently I heard that some obnoxious nobhead called Fenton from Yorkshire with a ropey looking laser green 205 GTI managed to bag Show and Shine standard class 3rd place....somehow??

/chuffed!

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
So humble :-)

S@m

S@m
  • Drivers+
  • 1,199 posts

I didn't realise that was THIS car, holy f*ck did it look good in the flesh! Twas like brand new. A real credit to you.

Leslie green

Leslie green
  • Drivers
  • 123 posts
  • Name:Leslie

Great resto thread and attention to detail ,enjoyed the read.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

Thanks Leslie,

I still plan to do a series of before and after shot to finish the thread off.

Reply to this topic