Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Restoration] My 1989 205 1.9 Gti Restoration Project

359 replies to this topic

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
  • Name:Tim McGivern
Garage View Garage

Hi Tim,

Got any pics, are you running a thread.

Did you make the spit yourself, as that's one thing I will need when I get it back.

Really want to get to the point of having at least one job fully completed (hopefully front subframe).

Are you keeping yours stock?

Hello mate,

Only just realised you replied to me there.

Yeh I've got a thread running, here's the link....
http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=155815

Yeh I made the spit myself. I bought a kit from mk2mania then made up the brackets to fix it to the car.
Made life a million times easier!!
I've finished with mine though if your interested?

Funnily enough I sent all of my bits to be plated to avon electroplating too! Hopefully get them back next week.

Yeh keeping it as stock as I possibly can.
Out of interest, how are you cleaning up your engine?

Darrens205GTI

Darrens205GTI
  • Drivers+
  • 43 posts
  • Name:Darren

Great thread Paul, keep up the good work 

Darren

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Tim,

Would be really interested in your spit as my car was dipped today and here are the very first pics hot of the press

image2.jpeg

and all my stuff from Avon arrived today, which made me think for the first time "how on earth am I going to put this back together"

You'll see what I mean when you look....

P1030041_666x500.jpeg

and here

P1030040_666x500.jpeg

This lot should keep me out of trouble for a little while, I also think my new block, ground and balanced crank and skimmed head should be back with me tomorrow as well, OH and new liners, shells, gaskets etc etc to to rebuild the engine.

Edited by mrfirepro, 05 November 2014 - 11:28 AM.

timoth123

timoth123
  • Drivers
  • 250 posts
  • Name:Tim McGivern
Garage View Garage
Wow, looks very different now!! Have they said when your getting it back?

Plating looks great too! One question, I held back on sending them the long gear rod as I wasn't sure what would happen to the plastic bush in the ball joint end. Did you manage to remove it?

As for the spit mate, see your PM.

Keep at it mate! She's gonna be lovely!! Good work!

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

I was worried about a few of the plastic parts and still am, I thought I would give it a try as I have a few spares. Will see what it's like when fitted. Also I got some of the bronze bushes on here from GTI6BOY http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=149679

Have uploaded more pics today as the stripping process has been completed.

My biggest worry was that I would get a tea bag back. As you will see in the pics there is only two places that are perforated due to the rust, which is an absolute result.

To be totally happy I will need to inspect the whole shell but if these pictures are anything to go by it has turned out fine.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

After a week of trying to get the new block from N Wales to Kent, finally managed it (thanks UPS, no thanks Parcel force and Yodel), so hopefully can rebuild the engine this weekend. (assuming I don't break anything else :blush: )

Got the first photos back from the dippers of the car in primer, ready to be delivered to the body shop, next week. Decided to use the same body shop as timoth123 as they did a good job for him.

photo11-1.jpg

Sent second lot of parts of to be plated.

Head skimmed and repaired, valves ground in and fully assembled.

P1030093_375x500.jpeg

You'll all know this feeling, have upset the missus, what started in the garage, has spread to the kitchen (engine build and storage) and now into the shower cubicle of main bathroom (make shift spray booth) so might be sleeping in the garage soon enough :D

Edited by mrfirepro, 05 November 2014 - 11:31 AM.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

finished the PAS rack as well

P1030124_666x500.jpg

Inlet manifold

P1030230_666x500.jpg

Engine block painted and new liners

P1030269_666x500.jpg

Edited by mrfirepro, 05 November 2014 - 11:33 AM.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage

Wow, that's a lot of parts you had plated!

Out of interest, are you sure that the fuel pressure regulator would survive the dipping and plating process?  I had assumed that it (and anything else that isn't just metal) wouldn't but I can see that you've had yours done.

Good progress though and looks like you're doing an extremely thorough job :)

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

Wow, that's a lot of parts you had plated!

Out of interest, are you sure that the fuel pressure regulator would survive the dipping and plating process?  I had assumed that it (and anything else that isn't just metal) wouldn't but I can see that you've had yours done.

Good progress though and looks like you're doing an extremely thorough job :)

In my haste to get things to the platers, I really didn't think about that. Since their now back was going to test it as there is a thread on this recently. I'm not sure how they work.

I have ordered another one anyway as there is some severe corrosion on the side of the unit.

I also have the same sort of issue with some of the gear linkages and nylocs where the bushings are plastic

Thanks for you kind words, also thanks for your advise on the cylinder protrusion I messed around with the liners for a good 90 mins. before I resorted to my question

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

I have posted lots of other threads recently with my engine rebuild saga and not updated progress here....

Whilst the shell is away at the dippers and body shop I thought I would do a engine rebuild...

Block one - once the liners had been removed had to ask opinions here http://forum.205gtid...opic=156355&hl= the outcome was goodbye block one

Block two - Thanks to Jamie_1992 who donated the second block, all I had to do was pick it up, once cleaned up there was some damage so goodbye block two

Block Three - Bought from a Guy in N Wales, after three separate carriers declined to pick it up (it got slightly damaged in transit) I finally got it home, cleaned, painted and rebuilt only to find one of the crank journals were out of tolerance (see this http://forum.205gtid...opic=156806&hl=) and one of the head threads was knackered  http://forum.205gtid...opic=156843&hl= Due to the minor damage from the courier I have decided to not repair the thread albeit that this does seem the best option (Helicoil).

Block Four - Pick up off eBay from a guy in Essex, have checked all the threads, run a tap over them and now just about to prepare this block. Need to get my crank sorted first, then order new parts, then hopefully be able to rebuild without problems.

I found it very difficult to get the No1 bearing cap oil seals (Hockey Sticks??) my thread on that was here http://forum.205gtid...opic=156790&hl= I am wondering how to use sealant and lubricant at the same time, now I have taken No1 cap off I can see that the sealer was not stuck :unsure:, how is it best to do this in future?

Hockey stick seal

P1030294_666x500.jpg

Block one

P1030318_666x500.jpg

Block 2

P1030317_666x500.jpg

My shell was delivered to the body shop today and all being well I should have the shell back in around 6 weeks.

I am now waiting for parts back from the platers and powder coater so that I can finish the ream beam, from sub frame and suspension.

Edited by mrfirepro, 05 November 2014 - 11:37 AM.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

Got the crank and pistons check my a machine shop. found one of the big ends was gone, installed replacement conrod and problem sorted.

This time used OEM hockey stick seal and they went in easy as pie :)

Block 4 was rebuilt and all seemed fine until I got to stage one of head tightening and thread 10 pulled, this time I am going to helicoil it, M11 x 1.5 with 3d inserts ordered and should be with me next week, hopefully this will see the engine put back together.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage

You've really not been having much luck with this build with what seems like one issue after another, but hopefully (touch wood) it's all going to go back together after this and won't give you any more issues :)

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

I am on a steep learning curve and guess that some of this will be my inexperience, but I certainly was much quicker and more confident this time, at this rate I'll be able to build it with my eyes shut :lol:

Whilst I'm waiting for the helicoil I can finish the front subframe and rear beam.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

gear box pics here

SANY4620_666x500.jpg

Edited by mrfirepro, 05 November 2014 - 11:40 AM.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

I guess if you put it in reverse whilst still going forward this happens

SANY4699_666x500.jpg

new and old for comparison

SANY4698_666x500.jpg

I wonder where all those bits ended up

Edited by mrfirepro, 05 November 2014 - 11:47 AM.

Juttie205

Juttie205
  • Drivers
  • 972 posts
  • Name:justin
Garage View Garage
If you dont mind me asking how much did it cist to get all that plating done?

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

If I remember correctly it was around £120, but be prepared to wait as they do tend to take there time.

If you want an accurate figure would be happy to dig out the invoice, just let me know

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

Just putting the engine back together and the thermostat seems a bit loose in its housing.

I am using OEM gasket (not really a gasket but a flattened O ring) and thermostat, when I install both into the housing the part that screws on the front does not seem to clamp the thermostat at all and it remains loose within the housing...is this correct or am I missing something??

Am also guessing I need to use some gasket sealant on the front part??

Edited by mrfirepro, 28 February 2014 - 12:44 PM.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
Do you have the older or newer style thermostat housing and takeoff? They use a different seal.

The older housing (which most 205's have) uses the flat O ring you mentioned actually needs two of them - one in front and one behind the 'stat. This is quite annoying as most thermostat kits only include one!

The newer housing is a slightly larger diameter and uses a seal which the 'stat sits inside.

In theory you don't need any sealant, but I always use a little RTV for good measure.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
Garage View Garage

Thanks Anthony,

I am guessing it's the older type as the stat sits quite snugly inside the housing.

That seems very logical, as service box only shows one seal, will order another one today.

At the risk of sounding stupid, whats RTV? :wacko:

Reply to this topic