Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Overhaul] Will1991's Steel Grey Spruce-Up

80 replies to this topic

markb1234

markb1234
  • Passengers+
  • 19 posts
  • Name:Mark

wondered where this car had went,was owned by my dads next door neighbor.remember seeing it when it still had the jersey plates on it !

will1991

will1991
  • Drivers
  • 117 posts
  • Name:Will
Garage View Garage

Wow, there was slim chance of that happening with its limited mainland mileage!

Small world.

markb1234

markb1234
  • Passengers+
  • 19 posts
  • Name:Mark

i see the guy had his private plate on it when u bought it he owned a plant hire company.never seen it moving was always parked up

will1991

will1991
  • Drivers
  • 117 posts
Garage View Garage

Small update...

My beam's now finished! I stripped it of ancient crud before taking it apart, which proved fine other than that the arm plate seals were shot. I'd bought one of Tom's pullers for this but as it had been rebuilt fairly recently I didn't need it - I'd been looking forward to using it!

RIMG0028_zps104462bc.jpg

Bearings were protected from unwanted muck.

RIMG0038_zpsd4a3dadd.jpg

I then got the beam colour matched before taking everything back to metal and painting back up. I also had a load of bits plated and my bars powdercoated (not orange as they look in the photo). The result...

RIMG00722_zps8e946c97.jpg

The hubs were rebuilt and rammed full of grease so they should keep going for a while yet. I've also still got some new Peugeot shocks to go on as well as new mounts so it should feel minty fresh once back on the road.

RIMG00612_zps0c258406.jpg

I've also had the brakes off so will be refurbing and refinishing them at some point soon hopefully.

Today I borrowed an electric siphon from the local garage (the owner is an absolute hero and said I can borrow whatever I need!) and transferred about 25 litres of Shell's finest into the Subaru. A far superior alternative to a mouthfull of unleaded!

RIMG00752_zpsd13a6d1f.jpg

I then dropped the tank and found the metalwork to be in pretty good shape.

RIMG00762_zps8510054f.jpg

RIMG0081_zpscbc6fa30.jpg

RIMG0085_zps16fe534f.jpg

I'll start on stripping and smartening the underside now before putting everything back together.

Will

will1991

will1991
  • Drivers
  • 117 posts
Garage View Garage

Right then, update time. The rear is back together and underside done! Woohooo!

So, the process involved in sorting out the underside was a messy and very boring one. Levels of enthusiasm started high - as is always the case when I get a chance to use my angle grinder - however that soon wained and as such I don't have many photos of the process due to being completely fed up after any given session. To be honest, it was all pretty good under there with nothing worse than surface rust to be found.

You can see in the above post how it started. This is it after my first [of many] evening sesh:

RIMG00703_zps549a7f7b.jpg

And after much much more grinding, treating, painting and spraying etc, this:

RIMG0130_zps85ed3db3.jpg

I originally thought about painting the boot floor body colour, but it seems really quite difficult getting a decent match for Steel Grey in a useable and affordable format. Anyway, I'm really pleased with how it came out in the end.

I decided that while everything was down I'd replace the 24yr old brake lines with some kunifer alternatives. I spent a good while replicating the originals and making all my curves were nice and smoooooth. I borrowed my friendly local mechanic's FIRST EVER brake flaring kit to do my flaring - it was like a hitman offering his son his first ever gun, a pretty special moment - it was pretty old school but made light work of it. He claimed its proficiency was because it was old.

RIMG0141_zps5b6b14d2.jpg

I also fitted my lovely new HEL braided lines and painted the bracketry to finish off.

RIMG0145_zpsbf4873b5.jpg

RIMG0166_zps0830ab59.jpg

RIMG0194_zps104357c3.jpg

Local friendly mechanic also welded a new stainless bolt onto this bracket as I sheared the original. It's not pretty but it's out of sight so my botherd-ness level is low.

RIMG0158_zpscf3470e0.jpg

I also painted the heat shields and disc protectors, repainted my spare wheel cage in body colour, had a load of stuff zinc plated and gave my fuel tank a scrub down:

RIMG0161_zps8a9b5657.jpg

RIMG0157_zps6d3a6253.jpg

RIMG0149_zpsca5a35e0.jpg

Anyway, yesterday I managed to wrestle the fuel tank back in place and fitted all my brake lines and the heat shields I could. It looked like this:

RIMG0184_zps9455c6de.jpg

Then today, the beam (with new OE mounts)! I got my dad involved and actually it was fairly painless. Once bolted up I managed to fit my new OE shocks and the results were as follows:

RIMG0186_zpsea0b9beb.jpg

RIMG0191_zpsc0ecc15d.jpg

RIMG0190_zps3a576b4b.jpg

I then popped my spare wheel back on:

RIMG0198_zpsb8fc913c.jpg

On the whole I'm really pleased with how it's all come out, even if it has taken a while.

I'm just waiting on seals to sort the brakes and I'll now be moving up to the business end to start work!

Edited by will1991, 02 March 2014 - 09:42 PM.

mrfirepro

mrfirepro
  • Drivers+
  • 864 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Nice job all round.

Great work on the brake lines, I'll have to tackle this in the next 6 weeks, was the Kunifer easy to use as I've heard some say to stay clear of it.

Do you buy it with all the fittings?, where is the best place to get it from?

will1991

will1991
  • Drivers
  • 117 posts
Garage View Garage

Yeah, really nice to work with and flared easily. I had to do one flare twice but that was my fault, not the materials.

Yes, it came with fittings. I bought this: http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2648

Davy

Davy
  • Drivers
  • 129 posts
  • Name:David
Garage View Garage

Only noticing this project now!..  Beutiful example to begin with and the right kind to be keeping as close to original as possible!

Keep up the good work!

Thats the same old brake flaring tool my old fella has.

As for the kunifer, I used it front to back and found it fine to work with. As with any copper based alloy it work hardens very quick so try to get each bend done on the 1st attempt. It doesnt stay shiny for long either, but then again niether does copper.

will1991

will1991
  • Drivers
  • 117 posts
Garage View Garage

Been a while...

I'm heading to France for work for 5 months next week so I've just been getting the car to a point where I can leave jobs finished rather than part done. Between the last post and now I've also spent a month in France so progress hasn't been the quickest.

Anyway, I'll start where I left it last time. Some photos of the underside and my beam taken in daylight!

RIMG0479_zps70bf0c20.jpg

Following all that I did a bit of work on the rear panel as there was a little surface rust. I took it all off and repainted and it came out really well, shame nobody's ever going to see it!

RIMG0310_zps328393f4.jpg

RIMG0398_zps4f58ad20.jpg

When removing the rear bumper I had to resort to sawing one of the T bolts off. So, when reassembling I improvised and made these which will certainly do for now.

RIMG0408_zps49c3bf11.jpg

RIMG0412_zpsda3eba02.jpg

I then fitted the genuine OE exhaust Farmer sorted for me and that's the back end about done.

RIMG0521_zpsaa41536f.jpg

RIMG0477_zps8b54531b.jpg

I then moved on to the front subframe/suspension/rack etc. I whipped it all off and got it back home to work on...

RIMG0218_zps437e992a.jpg

I found that the OS wheel bearing was on its way out, as was the driveshaft intermediate (but that was my fault) so I replaced them with some nice new SKF items. I also replaced the wishbone bushes with OE pug ones while they were off and picked up some Motaquip TREs and droplinks.

RIMG0550_zps6ef0ee0c.jpg

I then got cracking with the stripping and painting. I had a couple of bits powdercoated and hardware zinc'd. I pretty chuffed with the result!...

RIMG0497_zps94bb5525.jpg

RIMG0555_zps48603c0e.jpg

P1010332_zps0994925c.jpg

P1010330_zps5ab58a8e.jpg

When it came to the front suspension I thought really really hard about what I wanted to do. Originally I wanted the car to stay totally standard all round. After much to-ing and fro-ing I opted for some new Bilstein B4s and Eibach Pro springs (highly recommend Kam Racing by the way) as everything I'd read about this set up, combined with the new OE pug shocks I've fitted, was excellent frankly. I rebuilt the beam slightly lower than standard at the time so I'm alright there.

I really like the look of a slightly lowered 205 and as I'll be keeping the original components it'll not be a problem to put back if/when I please.  The top mount stuff was zinc plated in dull silver to try and replicate the original finish and I fitted new OE pug stut top bearings and donuts while I was at it. Anyway, here is how they looked once put together (plastic sleeve now moved round on spring of LH strut in pic)...

P1010293_zpscf103c93.jpg

P1010300_zps34dfc15c.jpg

P1010301_zps2659ea68.jpg

Again, really pleased with these! I thought they were looking super fly until I fitted a set of these to my friends GT86 last week. Pretty pimp to say the least...

hsd_zpse50bd1b3.png

While all this was going on I refitted my fuel filler piping and and cleaned up the filler neck ring which is a nice detail. I hadn't really noticed it before...

RIMG0329_zps5742ae74.jpg

RIMG0588_zpsfeff8ed5.jpg

I also cleaned up all of the underside brake and fuel lines and refitted them...

RIMG0504_zps5e706032.jpg

The other big(ish) job I got done recently was rebuilding the rear brake calipers. Rebuilding the handbrake mechanism was a bit of a pig but it all went together in the end and came out looking good. (Couldn't find a guide on here so if anybody wants any pointers give me a shout!) Some may say they're a bit bling but the the carriers were originally gold I believe and they look really good in the flesh (IMO). I popped a new set of Mintex pads in and got them on the car to get them out of the workshop!

RIMG0527_zpsd1c5ee86.jpg

P1010337_zps1d7da242.jpg

P1010338_zps6abb7f28.jpg

P1010340_zpsfc76f28b.jpg

I thought I'd better wash the car ready for tucking it away, paying special attention to the arches so they're now pretty much spotless. I'd forgotten how good it looked clean! I just want to get it on the road again and have it gleam in the sunshine!

P1010311_zpsd53f5561.jpg

P1010344_zps446f9899.jpg

I felt a bit down leaving it this afternoon, knowing I'll not get another look for several months. I guess I'll just have to spend my time gathering parts and working out how I'm going to go about cleaning the engine and bay up. Fun fun fun!

P1010354_zps46dbc309.jpg

As I've said about a million times in this post, I'm really happy with my progress so far (even if it is a little slow). Can't wait to be in a position to give another proper update!

Cheers,

Will

Edited by will1991, 31 May 2014 - 07:31 PM.

Edp

Edp
  • Drivers+
  • 3,148 posts
Garage View Garage

Nice job and nice workshop. Wish I hd that much space! :)

will1991

will1991
  • Drivers
  • 117 posts
Garage View Garage

Thanks!

It's not ideal as it's kept at a friend's place so I have to load a car with tools etc every time I go up. You're right though, it is a great space!

hoodygoodwood

hoodygoodwood
  • Drivers
  • 665 posts
  • Name:Miles Hood
Garage View Garage
Nice work on the rear end , I am doing the same at the moment on my 309 and I will be rebuilding my rear calipers with Biggred kits soon so will have to see how it goes .
Couldn't help noticing how long the braided hoses coming out of the rear calipers are , they must be double the length of the standard ones , they look like they might rub on the wheel .

will1991

will1991
  • Drivers
  • 117 posts
Garage View Garage

Yeah, I noticed that too.

I'll see how they look with the car on the floor. I can just forgo that section with solid line if needs be.

will1991

will1991
  • Drivers
  • 117 posts
Garage View Garage

So I've now returned from France and having arrived back to a few bits and bobs I ordered whilst away I thought I'd get something done while I'm at home for a bit.

Having had nice new SKF bearings fitted to my hubs, they were cleaned up and refreshed. The same was done to the driveshafts but I have no photos of them at the moment.

P1040790_zpsa535f7b9.jpg

I also put my front calipers back together using the OE Peugeot seal kits Craig had sorted for me. I also fitted my HEL stainless hoses and HEL stainless nipples. Poor photo but I'm pretty happy with these...

P1040794_zps4742bc74.jpg

And bolted together (another terrible photo)...

P1040795_zpsb0195e46.jpg

I now need to get my engine out to move forward really. Anybody local(ish) got an engine crane they might be willing to lend me for a weekend?!!

td_dan

td_dan
  • Drivers
  • 129 posts
Looks like a good project mate, im in birmingham if you get stuck for a crane your welcome to come and get it

Reebmit

Reebmit
  • Drivers+
  • 299 posts
  • Name:Tim
Garage View Garage
Great looking car, a credit to you, I have to say one of my favourite colours too. Always looks good when beam etc have been refurbed and refitted.... so worth doing!

calvinhorse

calvinhorse
  • Drivers+
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Calvin
Very very nice :)

HERMAN

HERMAN
  • Drivers
  • 535 posts
  • Name:Neil

Your doing a great job Nick. I will keep my eyes out for you being as your local to me.

Were abouts in Derby are you?

HERMAN

HERMAN
  • Drivers
  • 535 posts
  • Name:Neil

I have just seen that you need an engine crane. I have one here but it does not belong to me. I will check with the owner if you can borrow it.

will1991

will1991
  • Drivers
  • 117 posts
Garage View Garage

Hi Neil. Thanks for that but johnnyboy666 has very kindly lent me his. I've been disconnecting bits today so I should hopefully be ready for the big lift tomorrow!

Will

Reply to this topic