Hi there, I've been a member of this forum for while now since buying a 1.9 GTI a few months back. I wanted something interesting to get my teeth into and still had fond memories of my Red (orange in places) F reg 1.9 that I sold approx. 8 years ago.... After looking in the usual places I came across one advertised for £850 with 3 weeks MOT and only 10 miles from my house, registered in 1992 with 107,000 miles.
I went round to see it, took it for a spin, noted the large amounts of blue smoke from the exhaust, totally solid drivers side rear suspension, vague gear stick, fairly naff brakes and thought to myself "this is PERFECT" :-) An hour later after parting with £750 I had it parked on my drive!
During the test drive I was shown the immobiliser which seemed to immobilise the car even when you didn't want it to, so my first mission was to rip it out... Turns out it was a Sigma unit fitted approx 1993 that was screwed into the floor in the passenger side footwell, had an alarm too with a bonnet switch etc and within a couple of hours the whole lot was in a heap on the garage floor (best place for it). Thankfully my wiring repairs must have been good because she started straight away once I'd finished.. no more "ignition on, press the fob, fingers crossed the LED would go out after 10 seconds" nonsense...
Whilst I've been on the forum I've enjoyed seeing everyone's photo's of their restorations and thought it about time I posted my own shots of a stripped out engine bay, and wheel arches with scraped off underseal...so here we go!!
So far I've got the engine out, and stripped back the underseal from the passenger side arches and the sill. Rust wise it seems really good, there's none underneath at all that I've seen so far, just the usual places in the engine bay (under the jack) where there's a small hole. There was some surface rust down the legs that run down the behind the headlights but it came off with a wire brush on an angle grinder so I gave it a quick coat of primer to stop it coming back... the primer in the arches isn't permanent, it's just to stop it rusting over xmas when I probably won't have any time to continue for a few weeks. I plan to use the epoxy mastic two part stuff that gets mentioned on this site occasionally. I've recently taken off the rear bumper and am now thinking about dropping the tank out. Then I can go all over the underside to the same standard... rear beam needs taking out too. Later on I intend to get the car re-sprayed professionally as the lacquer is peeling pretty badly in places (boot lid and wings)
On the list of jobs done so far.......... in no particular order....
Discover that the master cylinder is pumping more fluid out the back than front, filling the servo with brake fluid and running down the pedal. I've now bought a new servo as I was concerned what state it would be in after being half filled with brake fluid, and a new master cylinder from a 406 so that I can use the GTI-6 callipers that I bought on ebay.
Got some seal kits so I can rebuild the front and rear calipers.
Replaced the heater matrix as it was leaking and making the (original Clarion) radio go rusty!
Removed the engine, found that in the past some loon has snapped one of the bolts attaching it to the gearbox! Great!
Found the gear linkage ball joint on the subframe to be TOTALLY loose.
Inspected the shocks and found all four to be original Peugeot items with 1991 stamped on them!
Bought new shocks and springs... Bilstein / Eibach combo that most people seem to go for.
As mentioned above, started removing the underseal to make sure all is well underneath...
Got a PTS stripe for the grille... no idea why I got it so early on, I'm sure it'll be ready for fitting sometime next year!
Pulled all wiring back into the footwells and given the engine bay a scrub.
That's about all for my intro, I promise to make regular updates as and when I have the time to work on the car. Future posts won't be so photo heavy, just wanted to get up to date..
Thanks for reading...
Edited by Plumbob, 18 December 2013 - 11:53 PM.