Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Restoration] 205 Gr Project Car

209 replies to this topic

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

OK well I guess I could give it a go whilst the weather is fine- are there any 'special' replacement parts I might need - bolts etc so I can get it back in place with minimum hassle?

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,220 posts

You'll definitely need new jubilee rings, the old ones normally look like they've been submerged in the ocean for a while. It's only held on to the bodyshell by two nuts on studs, as long as they don't shear it's a pretty simple job.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
While you've got the tank off, check the brake lines that run next to / above it - they're normally pretty grim if they're original.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Well I will get round to the tank in the next few weeks - heres an update of the weekends work.

First off the Inner wing welding!

So I decided not to try welding it myself - as a result I found a mobile welder who came to the house and did it- I think the results are pretty good. I also got offered a welder that he was selling so I am buying that for future use!

Its a complete new plate sitting in/on the remains of the old

Attached Files

Edited by Telf, 23 August 2015 - 03:49 PM.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Heres the view underneath - I had to paint it quick as rain was forecast- good job I did because its pouring down here!!

Once it stops I will Seal it all up with some panel seal - and generally make it look better!

Attached Files

Edited by Telf, 23 August 2015 - 03:51 PM.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Next up was putting the interior back in - it was all taken out so I could make sure the floor wasn't rotten.

As the drivers side sound proofing fell to bits when it came out I decided to be a bit DIY and made a replacement out of 3 layers of old carpet- dunno if it will work but I'm from Yorkshire so have to save money if at all possible :D

Attached Files

• Attached File  f1.jpg   135.34KB   0 downloads

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

The rear panel badges have also been refurbished with some paint and lacquer- they have come up quite well

Attached Files

• Attached File  b1.jpg   186.03KB   0 downloads

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Now a general request!

We (myself and my kid) think the car should be kept as original as possible( GR badge not withstanding- although I kind of like it in Red!)

If anybody still has the seats shown in storage or something and they would like to sell them please let me know- im also looking for the front door cards!

Attached Files

• Attached File  c2.jpg   276.07KB   0 downloads

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Here is a close up of the pattern

Attached Files

• Attached File  c1.jpg   226.36KB   0 downloads

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Well that's it for the time being - hoping to get it back on the road by the end of September -maybe - hopefully - cos I need my driveway back!

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Well I've managed to break the front bumper where the main attachment point is - does anybody local in the Suffolk area have a bumper for sale?

Cheers

Paul

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

I had a go at a GRP repair today for the bumper - it seems solid enough - However I've never smelt anything like it in my life- had to revert to a full Respirator facemask!!

Truly horrible- Halfords advice use a dust mask - lol  the fumes coming off it where something else!

Attached Files

• Attached File  b1.jpg   181.91KB   0 downloads

Edited by Telf, 29 August 2015 - 04:39 PM.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Spent today refitting the bumper and headlights and refitting the rest of the interior- not too bad for a minimum spend project- MOT in a few weeks once I fix a drive shaft boot.

Having no joy finding a doo card though!

Also found a Peugeot Lion- repainted and lacquered.

Attached Files

• Attached File  a2.jpg   134.83KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  a3.jpg   141.65KB   0 downloads

Edited by Telf, 30 August 2015 - 05:11 PM.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

Had some luck with this recently - found a 309 being used by the fire service for cutting/rescue practice.  Managed to get all kinds of bits off it like door seals, window mechanisms, door card trims, heater fan, capacitor, gear knob, steering wheel and a clarion stereo. The best bit was it was all free.

Now to MOT it once I manage to change a torn drive shaft boot!

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
That inner wing repair - you said he put a plate over the remains of the rotten panel? I'd be wary of how long that would last. If there's any rot left under then it's just going to spread again. Pretty sure one of mine had a repair like this and the plate was all rotten and peeling back.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

he did cut the old out -so I think it will be ok

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

So MOT today.

It failed  on  item:Gas suspension has no movement offside rear.

Its pouring down here and I've never worked on the rear suspension - I take it this is basically a seized beam- can they be freed off or is it a new beam?

Thanks

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
I guess you could try and free if off but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

As it is a project car for you there's no better place to learn by having a go so why not have a try at dismantling it.

My advice if you remove it would be to leave all the brake lines if in good order attached. With the drums removed undo the relevant clips and brackets then 4 bolts and the brake backplate complete with all its shoes can be removed complete with the brake pipes still attached. Saves the very likely hassle of seized fittings and needing to make new lines.
With it off there are a few guides on here with how to get it apart. However I will warm you that if one side is seized it will likely take a sledgehammer to get it to bits, and it's very likely the main cross tube won't be useable afterwards.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 971 posts
Garage View Garage

having taken the wheels off and put it on axel stands the nearside moves freely and the off side is in a fully up position(well not quite hitting the bump stop!)

I'm going to try and wedge some wood into the arch and use a scissor jack to see if it moves. Looks terminal to me though. There is a 309 being scrapped that i'm taking parts off but I believe the rear beams are wider?

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
From your description and my experience I would say don't waste your time!!!
But nothing to be harmed from trying just be careful not to damage what you are jacking off.
309 beam I don't think will go on a base model as you say it's wider. However it's worth getting as it may give you a source of bits that you can build a 205 beam from. Trailing arms and shafts in particular. Then the main cross tube if in good order is very saleable.

Reply to this topic