Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_restoration] My Sorrento Rebuild

215 replies to this topic

TeCh2pe

TeCh2pe
  • Drivers
  • 51 posts
  • Name:Christian
Inspiring project this! I makes me feel bad cause I've put my Sorrento up for sale.
Having to little time and fairly enough cars to lay my hands on. So I feel that someone with the time and enthusiasm should have it instead.
Keep up the good work Edp. Looking forward to see the progress on this one! :rolleyes:

Edp

Edp
  • Drivers+
  • 3,148 posts
Garage View Garage
Quick update, after a long chat with my powder coater about the cost of new pug bolts he pushed me in the direction of a local zinc platers. I took several large bags of Peugeot bolts down to him and within a week i had them all back and they all look like new :) all for the sum of 30. I'm going to take my torsion bars down there too and have him clean them up too :wacko:
Attached File  bolts.jpg   27.67KB   9 downloads

http://img.photobuck...P205/bolts2.jpg

Attached File  gearbox_bolts.jpg   260.52KB   11 downloads

Meanwhile I mounted the fuel filter into its new location in the drivers side inner wing which will free up room around the servo. Still using the original fuel filter bracket i mounted it by drilling 2 bolts into the wing, rust proofing and fixing. I then re-routed the new braided fuel hose to it, i also bought some red hose finishers from thinkautomotive to tart it up a bit. Putting the filter here like many have before means its much easier to change in the future.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Edp, 18 October 2007 - 05:02 PM.

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
This has only just occurred to me - many people have mounted the filter in that position also out of paranoia of fuel leaks squirting on to the exhaust manifold and igniting. But if, for example, you developed a leak from the banjo on the filter would there be any possibility of the petrol igniting if it comes in to contact with some of the wiring in that area? I.e. if you have a bit of dodgy insulation. I'm not specifically referring to your car, more generalising for all those who have done this.

Looking good bye the way (very jealous :) )

Oh, I also saw pics of your white one a while back and was going to mention that pretty much everything about it matches how my own 205 currently looks or was planning to have it looking (GTi16 rear badge and PTS grill stripes for instance), so if I ever get it finished and you see pics please don't think I've nicked your ideas :angry:

Edp

Edp
  • Drivers+
  • 3,148 posts
Garage View Garage
So what your saying is your point blankly attempting to copy me but now you've written that you have some sort of disclaimer so i can't abuse you of the fact? :) :angry: you can do whatever to your car mate, if it looks like mine i'll be flattered :)

On the fuel filter thing i hadn't really thought about the wiring thing. I guess as i'm using new filter, hose, hose clips etc etc i'm assuming* it will be better than the original position for the reason of maintenance. Also seeing as i'm putting the GTi6 lump in its going to take up plenty of room and the inner wing seems like a superior location compared to where peugeot put it. Although saying that, peugeot designed the engine bay as a left hand drive which would have meant the brake servo being the other side, so the filter would have been on its own with sufficient space around it.

*assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups.

Edited by Edp, 19 October 2007 - 06:52 PM.

Paintguy

Paintguy
  • Veterans+
  • 2,248 posts
  • Name:Andy Taylor

*assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups.

Never ASSUME, it just makes an ASS out of U & ME :angry:

I think you need to give me the contact details for your powdercoat and plate people - those prices are a bargain!

Peetypug

Peetypug
  • Drivers
  • 1,915 posts
this going to be one fine sorrento :D
im a little bit envious :( i've only got to the stage of stripping it completely.
is it just me or do all sorrento's suffer from bad paint fade and laquer peeling on the roof, wings and doors?

im gona use this as insperation to get mine finished!

this is the state of it now

one day :)

Edited by sorrentopete, 21 October 2007 - 08:53 AM.

Edp

Edp
  • Drivers+
  • 3,148 posts
Garage View Garage
It will certainly make an ass out of me if something does go wrong. I'm going to tighten everything up just that little bit more now :( By the way the powder coaters are called 4 Most Coatings based near Lingfield and the platers are called Y &B plating based near Gatwick airport. :) The coaters are more expensive than the last place i used but he's more thorough. I've probably spent a good 400 on coating but its well worth it.

Pete, that picture reminds me of when i was stripping mine! loads of old fragile plastic clips breaking in two and plenty of rusted bolts rounding off, ah the good old days. I hated stripping mine. I made a conscious effort to label everything, bag up all the bolts and store everything so when it came to rebuilding I knew where all the parts were. It took ages!

I'm glad I'm onto the rebuild stage now but you have to keep with it. The car is stored at my parents so I try and get down to do something every weekend. Once you get it re-sprayed (if thats what your doing?) and its all clean and tidy sitting in the garage that will give you the impetus to carry on if your struggling that is ;)

I'm unsure about the paint. What year is yours? as mines a fairly 'new' one i think all the later 205s had crap new paint because of the CFC issues of the old toxic paint. I'm sure Andy can tell you more :D My bonnet was ruined, it was re-sprayed 6 times during its life!

Edited by Edp, 21 October 2007 - 09:15 AM.

edthedrummer

edthedrummer
  • Drivers
  • 151 posts

this going to be one fine sorrento :(
im a little bit envious ;) i've only got to the stage of stripping it completely.
is it just me or do all sorrento's suffer from bad paint fade and laquer peeling on the roof, wings and doors?

im gona use this as insperation to get mine finished!

this is the state of it now

one day :D

Yep, mine has laquer peeling along the top of the boot panel, all the way back to the plastics :)

Peetypug

Peetypug
  • Drivers
  • 1,915 posts
its a 1990 1.9

i was really into stripping it down at first and rushed into it :)
i didnt mark or bag parts up :D
so i had to put it all back and start again

it was/is in a bad way :(
it had a black bonnet and grill
2 dented wings with no laquer
a big scrape down the pass side rear quarter
the drivers door is nearly white with fade!
and it needs welding under the rear seat ;)
and to top it all off i found that it had had a bump when i took the pass wing off (but it wasnt recorded on the hpi check)

good luck with it
and i hope to see it in the flesh when its finished

these colour cars are becomming more and more desirable so its great to see them getting done properly

Edited by sorrentopete, 21 October 2007 - 10:42 AM.

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
sorrentopete> plese start your own topic if you're doing a rebuild to the same extent as Edp :).

Peetypug

Peetypug
  • Drivers
  • 1,915 posts

sorrentopete> plese start your own topic if you're doing a rebuild to the same extent as Edp :).

sorry nick

will start my own soon

de Noir

de Noir
  • Drivers
  • 501 posts
Holy macaroni Ed, how did you manage to get your hands on my car!! :lol:

Nice!!

I better start posting my own work! ASAP! :D

matty_gti

matty_gti
  • Drivers
  • 751 posts
  • Name:Matt
Ive seen the car in the flesh and it looks mint!!, your doing a top job! :wacko:

dodsworth_gti

dodsworth_gti
  • Drivers
  • 547 posts
i wish my sorrento was getting this treatment!!!

i like to think it will one day in its life!!

may i ask,how much was the new roof skin?

also,the fuel filter,think im going to copy with that as i have had my pipe come off before while driving down the road,luckily the engine cut out before anything started getting to hot or it might have been another story :)

keep up the good work :)

Edp

Edp
  • Drivers+
  • 3,148 posts
Garage View Garage
The roof skin was 104 + VAT ;)

Update soon B)

Paintguy

Paintguy
  • Veterans+
  • 2,248 posts

The roof skin was 104 + VAT B)

And here's a picture that Ed left out - my little lad helping to remove the old one ;)

Posted Image

Edp

Edp
  • Drivers+
  • 3,148 posts
Garage View Garage
I think thats a brilliant picture and totally forgot I had it!

Starting the little lad early ;)

Paintguy

Paintguy
  • Veterans+
  • 2,248 posts
Sorry for wandering a bit off topic Ed.

He does love his Peugeot's though B) He was almost in tears tonight because I picked him up in the Laguna. "Daddy's blue car! - Not mummy's car!" was all he would say ;)

A bit of a random question, but did you manage to track down a non-sunny headlining?

dodsworth_gti

dodsworth_gti
  • Drivers
  • 547 posts
hmmm,that is alot cheaper than what i would imagine!!!

ive plated my sorrento sunroof but doesnt look 'that' great!!!

and im thinking next year she might go in for a full re-spray any way,thanks for the info though mate:)

will look foward to more updates on yours!!!!

sorrento's are by far the best :)

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III

Sorry for wandering a bit off topic Ed.

He does love his Peugeot's though :) He was almost in tears tonight because I picked him up in the Laguna. "Daddy's blue car! - Not mummy's car!" was all he would say :D
A bit of a random question, but did you manage to track down a non-sunny headlining?

Was just scanning the topic again and noticed on Page 2 that Ed mentions he found a non sunny roof lining in a scrappy.

Reply to this topic