Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_restoration] Alien Vs. 205

114 replies to this topic

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Now it's time to start a restoration thread on this project.

1,5 years ago I bought a cheap 205 GTi (well.. it had the 105bhp 1.9 engine??) which was imported from france to Norway in 2003.
Sorrento green color and black leather interior etc etc.

Paid 1000 for it with a knocking rod, however I think price was nice as it had only 60000miles on the clock and was a 1991 model, so quite new compared to the old 205 I'm normally used to )84-85 models).

Problem with the car is that someone had put styling on it so it really didn't look good at all, therefor the Alien thing as it really looked like one.

The car also had ABS brakes, and on the 205 it seem to only have sensors on the front wheels, however I have a plan on using a 406 ABS system and 306 rear ABS hubs and sensors (thanks to Anthony for helping me out with that!).

Now some pictures of how it looked when I first got it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rom

Rom
  • Drivers
  • 998 posts
Thats nasty !!

Im hoping your getting all the 'styling' off :) Looks tidy though.

So you going to keep it standard and mint ? Or plans for engine etc (other than fixing it)

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Got it into the workshop (old barn we are renting) summer/autumn 2007 and started to strip it down to look for rust and generally faults with it :)

Off the front bumper goes...
Posted Image

... and the rear
Posted Image

Everything must out
Posted Image

Engine gone
Posted Image

Interior gone
Posted Image

After stipping it down I can conclude that the shell is in _very_ very good condition B) B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

Thats nasty !!

Im hoping your getting all the 'styling' off B) Looks tidy though.

So you going to keep it standard and mint ? Or plans for engine etc (other than fixing it)

I know, very nasty :P

Standard and very mint is the plan.. however quite some time till it will be finished though :)

Engine will be one of the Mi16's I have lying around, already got freshly hooned cylinders, ground crankshaft and complete set of new parts for bottom end.

Missing only a ported head, I'm still not sure whether it will be a Mi16 or XU10J4R head.. I'm leaning a little bit towards the last option though, as I like the more modern look of the new head B)

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Well engine wise as I already mentioned..

Is a alloy Mi16 bottom end (D6C). I had quite some parts lying around and thought it would be good to use some of the old Mi16 blocks I have in the basement at my parents place B)

Freshly hooned cylinders
Posted Image

Polished crankshafts and bottom end parts
Posted Image

Petert stage 1 inlet camshaft (not sure if I will use this because of the plans with XU10J4R head... but maybe I will get some reground ones for that head too..)
Posted Image

This is as far as I have come with the engine... not very far :)

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
When it comes to the wheels I immediately started looking for some new ones, as I want it to have Peugeot alloys and not the ugly 17" ones that were on it..

After a little while I made a deal with a guy in the norwegian Peugeot Sport Club, so we swapped wheels, he got the 17" ones and I got some Speedline SL434's in return :) B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

This summer (2008) I also found an advert with some cheap 307 wheels (Challengers?) which I really wanted..
Luckily the first buyer never showed up so I got them at last :P

Posted Image

Not sure which ones to use yet, the SL434's are very good on a 205 but I think it will look more modern with the challengers, so will decide later.

All wheels will be refurbed sometime in the restoration process B)

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
As a friend of mine needed a refurbed rear beam early 2008 I thought it was smart to refurb the one for this 205 at the same time.

I dismantled two beams I had lying around in the garage and sent them to the sandblasters.

Parts back from the blasters
Posted Image

Painting some parts in our spray booth
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pressed in new shafts, nice and shiny B)
Posted Image

Beam tube finished, looking quite ok :)
Posted Image

Not put the beam for the 205 togeather yet, but should be an easy task really B)

Gentrix

Gentrix
  • Drivers
  • 506 posts
  • Name:Andreas T.
Garage View Garage
this once was a euro gentry - 75Kw DFZ engine, ABS, 1.9 suspension and brakes + grey carpet and gentry manual gearknob.

But you seem to have the right parts, to make a minter out of it *g*

Posted Image

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Buying some new parts for it, complete set of coolant hoses from BBM also new engine mounts, however I will only use the top and gearbox one and have a standard bottom mount as this is going to be a comfy ride :)

Thinking of using the 406 Coupe brembos on this one too at least if I decide to use the Challenger wheels.
Have a set lying in the shed I can use.

Posted Image

Also ordered some new parts from GSF which arrived..

Everything is going to be new on this car, not one single part which is not new or refurbed B)

Posted Image

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

this once was a euro gentry - 75Kw DFZ engine, ABS, 1.9 suspension and brakes + grey carpet and gentry manual gearknob.

But you seem to have the right parts, to make a minter out of it *g*

Posted Image

Yes this is it I guess :)

If anyone knows where I can get those centrecaps for the wheels I would be very happy.

I'm missing the centrecaps on one of my wheels, these are "Peugeot Sport" centres, but I would really like 4 new ones with the lion instead B)

Gentrix

Gentrix
  • Drivers
  • 506 posts
Garage View Garage
I am missing the centercaps too. The ones on my wheels are some standard caps with peugeot stickers on them.

But you can order the original caps still from pts. But be aware, that there have been two types of centercaps. The old type should have the normal speedline centercap and the new ones are smaller and still available from pts. But 4pcs are about 70 euros :)

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

I am missing the centercaps too. The ones on my wheels are some standard caps with peugeot stickers on them.

But you can order the original caps still from pts. But be aware, that there have been two types of centercaps. The old type should have the normal speedline centercap and the new ones are smaller and still available from pts. But 4pcs are about 70 euros B)

Ok I was trying to order them at the Pug dealer here in Norway but they was not able to help me out with it.

I know it must be some different ones as the white SL434's I have on the racecar have a bigger center hole than this ones.

Maybe get some caps CNC'ed in the end :)

Gentrix

Gentrix
  • Drivers
  • 506 posts
Garage View Garage
Posted Image

Posted Image

adding shipping cost it came to 70 euros and I cancelled to order at that time :)

Edited by Gentrix, 11 January 2009 - 10:43 AM.

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

adding shipping cost it came to 70 euros and I cancelled to order at that time :)

It certainly is a bit steep for 4 centre cap...

Continuing on the work on the 205...

I started to prepare all the small parts that I had removed from the shell, some cleaning, grinding and sandblasting were necessary to get them properly cleaned before paint.

Some parts in need of prep work
Posted Image

Sandblasting gearbox engine mount bracket
Posted Image

Also started to clean up subframe a bit, still not sure if I will get it sandblasted professionally or if I shall try to remove the little rust on it myself.
Posted Image

Parts ready for paint
Posted Image

Painted white, just as basecoat, will do them black later
Posted Image

Edited by B1ack_Mi16, 11 January 2009 - 10:44 AM.

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
Then started focusing some on the shell again.

Cleaned all the wheel arches.. as good as possible.
Posted Image

Modified old rusty beam tube so I can turn the car over on it's side.
Posted Image

Also made some crappy looking bracket at the front :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then turned it over on its side B)
Posted Image

It's quite good shell but still there are some rust in the normal places :(
Posted Image

I started removing the black tectyl stuff that someone had sprayed on the underside.. to look for more rust under this! B)
Posted Image

And I did find some :P
Posted Image

Now it's starting to be clean on the underside :D
Posted Image

Most of the rust was under the tank and backwards so I've removed it as good as I can without sandblasting.. (i'm not blasting this one because it's going to be too messy :)). I'm going to seal it off with 2-3 layers of Owatrol oil. Then put epoxy primer on that and then paint it. After that maybe some stonechip/underseal.. :)
Posted Image

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
This is more or less how far I've got on this project, so as you can see still a lot of work remaining, however when underside of car is ready painted I can start on the bodywork.. and it's quite good so shouldn't be too much work to get it ready for paint.

Most time consuming part is preparing all the small parts so they are ready when it's time to assemble it again :)

Longun

Longun
  • Drivers
  • 923 posts
Top work. Can't wait to see the progress on this.

Hilgie

Hilgie
  • Team Managers
  • 2,957 posts
  • Name:Hilgert Bos
Garage View Garage
Top work Kristian!

taylorspug

taylorspug
  • Veterans
  • 2,936 posts
  • Name:Dan

Most time consuming part is preparing all the small parts so they are ready when it's time to assemble it again :o

Very much agree!

Good work though, personally if you are going for a more modern but standard looking car, id go with the 307 wheels, would suit the OE theme alot more. :D

Craigo

Craigo
  • Drivers
  • 205 posts
fantastic work so far, i love a proper nut and bolt resto! will watch this with interest!

Reply to this topic