Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_restoration] Alien Vs. 205

114 replies to this topic

de Noir

de Noir
  • Drivers
  • 501 posts
Kristian, I'm spotting some improvements in your rebuild technique, but how do you manage all your rear beams looking the same?
Or did you use old unused photos of the first one? :D

Good luck with the project, I'll keep an eye to this. :wacko:

Forgot to mention, 75kw 1.9 was also German market only katalyzed version of 1.9 GTI in Jetronic times, I checked one example overhere recently.
It had 1.6 suspension, drum brakes rear and 14' pepperpot alloys.

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage
How heavy is the stripped shell?
I thinking of buying a Cti to resore but the only place I could roll it on it's side is in the back garden which is over a foot high wall on the drive side down to a 5 foot drop on the garden side.
Do you think me and 3 mates be able to lift it over the wall into the garden so I could turn it on its side to work on it's underside?

pip470

pip470
  • Drivers
  • 887 posts
  • Name:Phill Dwan
Wow those speed line wheels look fantastic, I definatly want that syle on my car now. It looks like your work is going very well. What do you put on the side of the car to stop it dinting the panels when rolled? Is it just some tyres? Great read. Phill

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,220 posts

How heavy is the stripped shell?
I thinking of buying a Cti to resore but the only place I could roll it on it's side is in the back garden which is over a foot high wall on the drive side down to a 5 foot drop on the garden side.
Do you think me and 3 mates be able to lift it over the wall into the garden so I could turn it on its side to work on it's underside?

Me and 5 mates lifted a bare GTI shell onto a flatback using three beams of wood under it. I think you would struggle with four people, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone posts to say they've done it.

dirtdog

dirtdog
  • Drivers
  • 459 posts
eat some spinach first

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage
I helped moving my mates partially stripped shell a few feet to the left.
Three of us at front nearly threw it over expecting it to weigh more than it did.
This project is looking good BTW good work...
Just the kind of insiration I need, I'm off to look at an old F plate CTi on Sunday!

Edited by ALEX, 16 January 2009 - 12:26 PM.

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage

eat some spinach first

Or buy another friend... :(

col16vt

col16vt
  • Passengers
  • 27 posts
looking good mate love full resto's

Edited by col16vt, 16 January 2009 - 10:09 PM.

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts

Kristian, I'm spotting some improvements in your rebuild technique, but how do you manage all your rear beams looking the same?
Or did you use old unused photos of the first one? :D

Good luck with the project, I'll keep an eye to this. ;)

Forgot to mention, 75kw 1.9 was also German market only katalyzed version of 1.9 GTI in Jetronic times, I checked one example overhere recently.
It had 1.6 suspension, drum brakes rear and 14' pepperpot alloys.

Didn't really get the improvements in my technique? :P Can't understand what you mean if it's not that I'm not sandblasting this time, although that is not an improvement :)

It's not the same beam as on the last car, this time I use proper 2 pac paint on everything!! :)

The shell is not very heavy, I would guess 4 people can move it quite easily, but I would make some supports on it before you start moving it in case you need to drop it in a hurry :)

cybernck

cybernck
  • Administrator
  • 8,788 posts
  • Name:Nikica Atlagic
Garage View Garage
beware, those 17's look properly large on an otherwise standard 205's, due to their design!

and that comes from someone who thinks there's no such thing as wheels that are too large :rolleyes:.

de Noir

de Noir
  • Drivers
  • 501 posts
I meant your new turning-over tools. Looking better now! :o 2-pac paint too! :rolleyes: :P

bluesleeper

bluesleeper
  • Drivers
  • 132 posts
liking the wheels a lot. i think they looked ace with the red line around the rim.

mmmm nice!

Gareth. :)

Hilgie

Hilgie
  • Team Managers
  • 2,957 posts
  • Name:Hilgert Bos
Garage View Garage
This is a nice pic for you :)

Attached File  PICT0585.JPG   878.42KB   43 downloads

j_turnell

j_turnell
  • Pitcrew+
  • 4,146 posts
  • Name:James
Garage View Garage

This is a nice pic for you :(

Attached File  PICT0585.JPG   878.42KB   43 downloads

Have to say i quite like that :)

Kroged

Kroged
  • Drivers
  • 60 posts

This is a nice pic for you :)

[nice car]

Got any more info on that car? It was the first 205 with challenger wheels that I really liked!

OnT: Nice project you got there B1ack_Mi16! Looks like you got a good deal with the wheels to ;)

Mandic

Mandic
  • Drivers
  • 859 posts
Isn't that CJ's car? GTi6 powered, copuled with custom exhaust... it sounds absolutely amazing, looks good too.

Cheers

Ziga

dcc

dcc
  • Drivers+
  • 3,141 posts
  • Name:Dan
From speaking with CJ, im sure he said that he used the alloys from a GTI180 206, which I thought were 16" rims! Even still, his car was a fantastic bit of kit!

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
those are 307 wheels, they have centrecaps, 206 ones don't and are 1/2" wider :geek:

Hilgie

Hilgie
  • Team Managers
  • 2,957 posts
  • Name:Hilgert Bos
Garage View Garage
No this car is from Maurice, but CJ's car is very similar.

B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16
  • Pitcrew+
  • 2,775 posts
More than two years since I did any work on this car now.

Reason is that I bought a 405 T16 project in the summer 2009 which I'm still working on.

However yesterday I finally did some minor work. Drilled out the middle front seat brackets, some rust behind them, so I'll chop out some of it and weld in some new metal, then get the brackets sandblasted before I weld them back on agian.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is slightly wrong to say I did nothing to this project utnil yesterday though.
Earlier this year I did grind down the SL434 wheels and painted them, they turned out stunning I think, and I'm wondering if a red chassi colour would match these wheels perfect :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finished object before and after :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

What do you think, I have a feeling that red bodycolor will be nice :)

Reply to this topic