• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[body_work] Best Get The Welder Out Then

Tom Fenton

Might be done just in time for Noah passing his test eh Matt?!

M@tt

How did you get the bead of sealer out between the lower rear quarter and the sill?

My 205 has surface rust down here, that's penetrated the inside of the quarter panel. Heat gun and scrapper?

just used a new stanley blade and cut it out, then abrasive paper folded over a filler spreader to get into the gap to sand it back to clean metal

Tom don't joke!! :)

Edited by M@tt

M@tt

tonight i plug welded the inner wing back together

then turned my attention to some more little bits of rust

There are various sections of the boot floor that need attention but tbh they are a bloody pain to get to with the angle grinder and knotted brush so its going to be a case of wheeling out my pressure pot sandblaster, which should hopefully have enough grunt to remove the stone chip/underseal :)

rather than cover the entire garage in dust and abrasive i've sheeted up around the boot floor to hopefully contain it. The useful thing about my car lift is i can tilt it so I've raised the rear of the car and lowered the front to give me more room under there!

so Friday or probably the weekend i'll be able to have a crack at blasting the scabby bits

a3000c94.jpg

c50166b5.jpg

d90097d8.jpg

cybernck

I still can't believe that this shell hasn't been scrapped and the car reshelled... in the UK! :o

Top effort in saving a 205 and some useful photos there too! :)

M@tt

tbh its not really bad in comparison to other brands of car ie fords

and i always think its a shame what with numbers depleting that many are so easily scrapped due to wht i would consider fairly minor rust, but i guess it just comes down to people having the time/equipment/money to put them right

Tom Fenton

I've said it before and I'll say it again, most people who own 205's don't know the meaning of the word rot. These cars were amongst the best out there for corrosion protection at the time. How many other 80's hatches do you still see bombing round in quite frequent numbers? There are at least 3 or 4 base model or derv 205's I see quite regularly locally, when was the last time you saw a G reg Metro? Fiesta? Nova? Polo?

My good mate has a Mk1 Fiesta, its cool and he loves it, yet you can count the original unrepaired panels on it on one hand, roof, one side rear quarter, pillars, tunnel, bulkhead......

Anyone who has owned an old Ford or a Mini truly knows what rot is, with 205's you don't know you are born in honesty, and you only have to look at the (lack of) pattern panel availability to back that up, if there is no demand they won't make it.

M@tt

well tonight i had a quick squirt with the sandblasting pressure pot. It's going to take a while but seems to be working ok. The only issue is dust!!! its everywhere!!! i need to try and fashion a bit more of a sealed in enclosure as the media i've got at the moment (masonary grit) dusts up like you wouldn't believe. i also had to make a fetching head/face protector out of an old pillow case and some gaffer tape :) as the bounce back from the abrasive media was going everywhere

despite all the faffing I'm going to be able to go from

this

95703ea2.jpg

to this (very quick flick over some bits obviously need revisiting)

ed458a38.jpg

so it will all be worth it, hopefully i should be able to make some good progress this weekend

Edited by M@tt

miamichris

i also had to make a fetching head/face protector out of an old pillow case and some gaffer tape

Pictures Matt! This sounds too good to be true! :lol:

M@tt

I looked like i'd escaped from somewhere!! I'll get one tomorrow

It's slightly more refined than my face through a old pair of boxer shorts leg hole effort when i was cutting the kingspan boards with a circular saw whilst building my garage though :)

M@tt

I managed a couple of hours on the car today.

Progress was a little slow due to my improvised el cheapo shotbasting nozzle made from a PCL airline fitting. The problem is the hole through it is too large for the size of my compressor once the tank has emptied. It struggles to maintain a high enough pressure to be useful. The hole is about 6mm and it really needs to be about 3mm so i'm going to turn a new one up on the lathe

Anyway i managed to make a bit of headway

15af7b3f.jpg

6087d9f8.jpg

e5023ff4.jpg

M@tt

Pictures Matt! This sounds too good to be true! :lol:

cdd85d6e.jpg

557b048f.jpg

In all my HSE approved gear and yes that is a engineering spec tea towel taped to the top of it :-D

Edited by M@tt
  • Like 1

miamichris

Hahahahaha!!! Thats brilliant stuff :lol:

Daviewonder

cdd85d6e.jpg

Admit it, you're staring in a budget remake of Lawrence of Arabia.

• Like 1

M@tt

still picking at the rusty bits, sandblasting and epoxy priming

4e530436.jpg

a21417f6.jpg

27265ab3.jpg

and this is the el-cheapo blasting pressure pot i made, I think it cost me about £30 to make, complete with semi automated Wilkinson spec abrasive recycling filtration system (read funnel with a sieve taped to it)

6e6a1569.jpg

and this is the tungsten carbide nozzle, i had initially used a pcl airline fiting but the sand quickly wore to bore out too large meaning the compressor couldn't keep up, so i stumped up £17 for a proper one off eBay

837302f3.jpg

M@tt

small update

i've finished epoxying the bottom of the boot and thrown a couple of coats of stone chip over it. Its a proper messy ass job but looks the part now :)

07a52a90.jpg

b7f5de7e.jpg

922a64a1.jpg

081a7987.jpg

• Like 1

Leet205

Looks a propper job Matt! well done.

Anthony

Echo that - looks like a good, thorough job you've done there rather than succumb to the temptation to do a quick short term fix like many would have.

M@tt

cheers gents

well in for a penny in for a pound!! the driver side small rear panel was also pretty shot so that got ripped out tonight and a replacement started to be fab'd

07edc2e5.jpg

15f61073.jpg

93fd51b2.jpg

I've also made a start tackling the bit of rust at the bottom of the fuel filler pipe

f2f964ce.jpg

I'm trying to set myself a dead line of Pugfest to have it ready for!! so best crack on!!

M@tt

well it's official my car hates me! :)

i could see some spiders legs under the paintwork on the drivers front wing so on further investigation it became apparent its fooked!!

I was contemplating sanding and sand blasting it but its gone verythin in places so its going to be a case of getting some new wings. I need to have a look at the passenger one as well

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

calvinhorse

Ffs :( on first glance the car always looked so tidy!

Welldone Matt looks like your doing a cracking job, amazing considering your a complete Mong

M@tt

thank you spaktard x

new wings will get epoxied front and back and i'll stone chip the backs and also the front edges which should hopefully give it some better protection than last time :S

Alastairh

Gutted. I take it those wings are pattern parts from when you had it painted?

Underside looks really good.

Al

M@tt

Yeah pattern wings Al from when it rolled down hill on its own into lamppost Herbie style.

I've got a feeling they were just painted over the piss poor primer they come in from Hadrian which wouldn't have helped.

I've been to my parts place this morning and they've said that Hadrian have been bought out by SEL Imperial but that SEL are only showing stock of the passenger side, so i hope for god sake they are still making them!

M@tt

bit more progress

I got the replacement bumper mount panel welded in and then chucked some epoxy over it all (it meant I also got to break out my new infra-red heater :))

b127cab8.jpg

78b2ac9d.jpg

68be49c2.jpg

and then i've been picking again :) this time the driver side inner wing is going to get sorted

740b2180.jpg

e6e841f3.jpg

Oh and on a positive note, SEL Imperial will be getting new driver side wings in in a couple of weeks so it would appear were safe for replacements for a while longer. Also they deliver next day to my house for free!!result!!