• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Leon

[misc_work] 1988 1.6 Gti

Leon

Well, last April I got a new job with a company car and the 205 has sat essentially unused on the drive. Then I split with the Mrs and so lost my storage, work area etc and somewhere to keep the 205 - so it's going back on the road, maybe to keep, maybe to sell - I haven't honestly decided yet.

So first off it was time to collect the car. Apart from a flat battery and looking VERY tired, there was essentially nothing wrong with the way it drove. Looks sorry for itself.

22.jpg

Drove it to my new abode and scowled at it through the blizzard like conditions. Looks a heck of a lot better than it really is here.

23.jpg

Removed the trims. They'd been painted quite a shiny black in the past so were beyond the miracles of Plasticare. Instead I keyed them and repainted in grey bumper paint. It's a bit light but on a black car it gives a nice contrast. The metal red trim strips were completely beyond repair, bent and split in multiple places. I ordered new ones for the bumpers and set about sorting the side strips.

I went to Wickes and picked up some round edged wooden profile. Sanded, painted red, lacquered and stuck on. Here they are affixed temporarily with Blu Tak. I don't think they look to bad all things considered!

24.jpg

Took the trim back off to repair some of the clips and while I was poking around discovered both headlamps had corroded from the outside in and were beyond repair. In the bin they go then. In this pic you can see how rough the car really looks.

25.jpg

New headlamp and indicator fitted - thanks a lot Euro Car Parts for listing the other side on Ebay when you don't actually have it in stock. Another one has been ordered and is on the way.....

26.jpg

Today I've machine polished the passenger side, reattached the trim (using plastic number plate bolts glued in where the original clips had broken away, nice and tight) and bonded on the red trim.

27.jpg

Getting there! The paint is still awful, but it's better than it was by some margin.

Next stop - new heater matrix, new rear tyre, and try for a cheeky MOT!

Leon

Exterior done for now. Still need a new bonnet and the tailgate is shoddy. Both valances need to come off for repainting.

28.jpg

29.jpg

Interior cleaning up nicely.

30.jpg

Leon

Headlight and indicator turned up for the passenger side too:

31.jpg

Robbiedundy

Nice work, refurbed wheels would make a huge difference :P are you going to be selling the automatic bonnet? I'd like to buy it if you are,

Cheers,

Robbie.