• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Robbiedundy

[Misc_Work] Cherry Red 1.6 Gti Engine Swap & General Tidy Up!

Robbiedundy

Hey, I'm Robbie, living in the highlands with not much to do so I've got a newish hobby of messing with cars, it first started when I bought my first car - a 205 1.1 Style 5dr, did a few little jobs on it then decided I needed a project so I bought a 1.9 GTi last year which is stripped, getting rebuilt and resprayed atm - Project thread. So, anyways, onto my new car, bought her yesterday off a mate, the engine blew up so I got it for quite cheap.

AE670400-E34F-4504-A4C4-C9EE7DD80136-572

2E5CEE2D-2369-4914-87DB-7D9B57B470DB-572

1CEAF296-F473-4250-A7AA-805EDFACDA68-572

9F237F11-0208-4BCE-80A5-94F0A4B28D47-572

Wing looks a bit orange in the last pic, but it's not really, I think the red has aged well :P The plans are to take the engine out tomorrow morning, will be treating the rust on inner wings, cleaning up things like brake lines, wires, hoses, rusty brackets, possibly subframe etc, painting my 1.9 GTi engine and then dropping that in, here's how it looks now -

A61AE9D4-04CF-4861-A20D-28CB54D173D5-572

Then I'll start on the interior -

2C7AD4D3-8522-47E1-B30F-007288401EBA-572

A91EC460-BF2F-4417-B424-6D6EC26BFE60-572

it's got some torn up 1.6 gti cloth seats atm which don't look the greatest so I'm going to be replacing them with a set of grey half leathers I've got, probably take the carpet out to see what it's like underneath and give it a wash. The outside is pretty decent, the trims need some plasticare, there's some lacquer peel on the roof which I'll try and repair best as possible , the grill is currently black so I'll be looking for a red one or painting it. I'll also be swapping the cyclones on it for some 1.9 speedlines I've got. Here's a pic of the roof -

42E1A95B-878B-4011-B3DC-9832BD14FE0D-572

if anyone's tried to make lacquer peel look a bit more presentable please share your wisdom, I was thinking like, wetsanding it back to the edge where the lacquer hasn't peeled then polishing it up as best I can?

That's it for now, I'll probably post some more progress soon, hoping to get it back up and running asap :)

Cheers.

Edited by Dundy53

MrMemzi

Get cracking boy! Winter is coming be super cold up there!

Robbiedundy

Have got a fair bit done, the engine bay was pretty much stripped by sunday, all hoses off, manifolds off, all the electrics labelled up and off, driveshafts out ready for the engine to be dropped out the bottom, went for a job interview on monday and got asked to start the next day and I have no car! So I've been car sharing but need to get this back on the road asap. It's 12 hour shifts I'm doing mon-thurs and then half day on friday so I didn't do anything during the evenings, need to get used to the long shifts :P Anyway, came home on thursday evening and dad had the old engine out and new one in! I was hoping to paint it all up and clean the engine bay up a bit but nevermind, atleast it'll be on the road quicker. So finished at 1pm on friday and got the engine all plumbed in, wired up and the manifolds etc back on, tried to start it up and nothing, it had spark but no fuel. Wired a battery straight to the fuel pump to see if that would work and forgot to put the hose back on and fuel pished everywhere :lol: So the fuel pump's not getting any power, I started up a thread yesterday for some help and got a lot of useful info, check fuse, relay, wiring, make sure I'm using all 1.9 gear, so I did all that and everything is fine but I've no way to see if the relay is working so I've ordered a new one, I'm hoping it'll be fixed then. Anyway, when I wired the battery straight to the fuel pump the engine managed to start for a second then cut out, when I bought the car that this engine is out of it had the same problem, if you don't keep the revs up it'll just cut out, if you let it cut out you can't start it straight away again by the key so it had a push start button fitted wired straight to the starter motor, when I bought the car with this engine if you keep the revs up for about 2 mins or so it would idle on its own fine after that, I'm hoping this is still the case but I only had it running for a short time cause the rad/fan wasn't on, tried to start it up again the day after by wiring the fuel pump straight to a battery but it's not working, so this is the next problem I've gotta sort out after the fuel pump, I'm using everything 1.9 on the car apart from the coil, if anyone has any suggestions please fire them my way :) I've also been doing some other stuff, realised that I've got a lift up reverse gearbox now (BE1?) So had to change the gear lever over, changed the bulkhead grommet and put the cable underneath the centre console, hope it's okay under there I can't remember where it was before, I'm hoping that's all I need to do. I also started tidying up the interior, put black & red half leather seats in the back - looking for a pair of fronts. Put all my 205 GTi car mats in, including boot mat, they really look the part now that they're actually in a GTi! Changed the 1.6 badge for a 1.9 badge and plasticared them all, need to give the trims a wash before I do them. Gonna be painting up my 1.9 speedlines and putting them on, not sure what colour to go for, matt black with gloss red pinstripe on inner rim, or some sort of anthracite with matt clear coat and gloss silver lip. Started sorting the rusty inner wings, used the wire wheel on grinder for most of it but can't get it right in at the bottom so been doing that by hand, it's in etch primer atm, gonna seam seal it then paint it with some cherry red aerosols, the front panel is in really good condition and doesn't look to have been changed before, wierd. the n/s sill is looking rusty where it meets the rear quarter, gonna pick out all the sealant and see what it's like, hopefully won't need welding, other than that the only thing that's bothering me is lacquer peel.. not sure what to do. -_-

Edited by Dundy53

MrMemzi

Wow. That is some work you have done there! Well done.As for the car not firing up you are running literally all the 1.9 gear right? AFM ecu injectors etc? If so have you tried tuning the little idle screws on the AFM? I didn't realise 205s rusted as mine has no rust at all and is a 88. Ive noticed after that particular year they all seem to rust. Someone messed up in the factory haha.

Lacquer peel is definitely not my thing but ive seen people lighty buff the edges and polish the only thing is there is still a slight change in colour :( roof respray?

Robbiedundy

Yep, swapped over everything 1.9 from my other car - afm, ecu, has 1.9 dizzy and injectors, yeah my other 205 is from 1988 and is less rusty than this one, weird.That's the plan with the lacquer peel, some 2000grit wet 'n dry up to the edge of the lacquer try make it less visible then polish the whole thing, if that looks sh*t might try putting some lacquer on it, if that looks sh*t aswell, might try vinyl wrapping it black.. I'm worried that'll look crap though cause there's not really any edges for the vinyl to go up too, so I doubt that'll happen unless I see someone else has done it to their 205 and it looks decent.

Robbiedundy

The 205 is going well now, got it mot'd/taxed/insured 2 weeks ago, only advisory was a leaky exhaust, and got a new wheel bearing put in the day after, wasn't sounding too healthy. Here's a pic of the engine back in -

B393762F-4A12-4F6F-B2F6-FE57E826C5DC-346

I forgot to plug the ecu temp sensor plug in cause it was in a different place on the new engine, and for some reason that fixed it.. The car is still bad at idling when cold but it's a lot better than it was.

Pic of the inner wing rust repaired -

4764E84F-FF74-4C6B-BF9A-F7956B62445B-346

Looks like I've just painted over the rust in the pic but it was wire wheeled back to bare metal, kurusted, acid etch primed, seam sealed and painted, the paint match isn't the best but atleast it'll be good for a while yet.

Washed the car today and this happened..

5B7D5EDA-04DD-4766-A486-07642A685CC2-346

All the lacquer came off the roof when I used the hose on it haha.. might try power washing the rear quarters to get the lacquer off, wet sand any bits that don't down to the paint then polishing it all, tried a little t-cut on the roof and it came up pretty good.. don't wana take any paint off though so I'll need to get a shot of a machine polisher and some polish, I've never done any detailing before so I'll need to read up on it, I'm sure I've seen a few guides on here.

Gave it a little hoover -

96399348-9C32-43CE-BDA3-AB106D589816-346

Went for a drive today, it is so much more fun than my 1.1.. took some pics

F74BE88B-9A31-47BE-8C7A-6D7BF20B8AF3-346

70B7E7F5-C0C3-43FA-92FC-AC96EA8AFB28-346

Plans now are to get some front ph2 half leathers to match the rears, paint the wheels, carpet the boot, sort out the bodywork, I put one coat of plasticare on the trims but I think it needs another one, the speedo needle shakes a lot and makes a really irritating noise so I need to sort that out, need to put a rear wiper back on, don't like not having one for some reason even though it doesn't get used much. Bought some pts stripes for the plastic tail gate panel so they'll be going on when I get them, nothing else really needs doing apart from the rusty n/s sill which I can't be bothered with atm.

Bye for now. :)

Edited by Dundy53

Pugleyrich

Good work. Are you going to have a pts stripe on the front and back? Interested to see what it looks like on the tailgate panel

Robbiedundy

Just the back, don't think it looks very good on the grill with red 205s, here's a pic -B19E1F55-A5A5-431A-B1E3-740FC4F4F5F3_zps

Robbiedundy

Car is still working, it's still not idling properly when cold but I'm used to it now, left foot braking whilst keeping the revs up towards junctions takes practice :P I'll get it sorted sometime.. But anyway, managed to find a front set of half leathers -

21D7F2D5-0AD2-4252-B434-F226426A2A7D_zps

They need some tidying up before I fit them, probably wont fix the bolsters just get some leather conditioner on them to get rid of some cracks. Getting some detailing stuff together soon to tackle the roof, etc. Need to dye the trims again to get them really black, possibly get some bumper gel stuff to give them a shine. Gonna paint the red inserts as well just to make it look that little bit nicer. Thinking about either spraying the wing mirrors or wrapping them red, seen it before on here and looks smart. Changed the exhaust from the full magnex one back to standard. Gonna wax oyl the underneath once it drys up a bit. Other than that not much is happening, just enjoying driving it atm. :)

Robbiedundy

Sold the GTi and bought a Mk5 Golf GTTDi as a daily, nowhere near as fun but more efficient I guess. Bought a 205 straight D I'm gonna use as a winter car. Will start a thread on it probs.

Cheers :)