• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

Thermostat & Housing Connection

ALEX

The engine I've rebuilt never had a thermostat fitted, nether did the one I stripped for the block, and TBH I can't remember seeing one on my last GTI either.

So my question is, do they have one fitted as standard?

Also the litle metal tee bleed connection on the thermostat housing has come out.

is this just pressed in?

I was thinking about tapping it back in with an hammer, but wondered if anyone had other sugestions?

Tom Fenton

Yes there should be a thermostat fitted, if everything else is as it should be then there is no reason not to fit one.

Ref the take off, yes it is just pressed in, if it has come out then I would get everything clean and put some decent engineering adhesive (bearing fit) on it and then push it back in. If you can I would try to push it in with a press or vice rather than hammering it in.

ALEX

Thanks for the advice, It will mean removing the thermostat housing again, not sure if it would do the mating seal anygood though.

The engineering adhesive, is that the same a locktite?

I have some water resistent stuff I could use.

Tom Fenton

Loctite will make something suitable, I would use a bearing fit (green) as it is intended to join two metal items.

pug_ham

I've got a few spare thermostat housings if you want to replace it.

g

ALEX

I've got a few spare thermostat housings if you want to replace it.

g

Just back off holiday, so sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the offer, not had time to sort it yet, I'll see how it gose. If it looks like its going to come out, I'll take you up on that offer.