• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
arwel

1.9 8V Upgrade

arwel

Im in need of some advice with regards to getting more power out of the 8v lump. Although Im planning on building up a new shell with a nice 2.0 16v engine for the time being Im in need of getting more out of what I have now without spending mega money on it.

The rally car currently has a standard 1.9 8v engine with an air filter and exhaust and has been well set up. I did an event on the weekend and although I could hold my own in the tighter, technical sections, once there was a quick fast section I was being left behind by pretty much everything. What options have I got to get a few more ponies out of the 8v engine? Am I looking at a nice cam, some head work and if so what kind? or should I be looking at doing something with the bottom end?

Cheers

Arwel

arwel

Some interesting reading there Welshpug.. what exactly is a 3 angle grind anyway? I've heared it mentioned a few times but engine internals is a new subject for me really.

Gearing is pretty good. It has a 1.6 BE3 box with a 4.4 CWP and a Quaife ATB. Accelerates pretty well, it could just do with a few more ponies being released.

welshpug

what does it rev to at the moment? the Saxo I service for uses a 5.06 on 195 50's, but it can rev to 8.

Some interesting reading there Welshpug.. what exactly is a 3 angle grind anyway? I've heared it mentioned a few times but engine internals is a new subject for me really.

It refers to the valve seat angle, if you have a search for the david vizard thread on here and watch the seminar video it explains it in detail, amongst quite a lot of other stuff, well worth a watch even if you don't get into the detials yourself, you'll understand what an engine builder is taking about more.

3 angle valve seat google search

arwel

Its on the limiter at 6500rpm and I use 185/60/14 tyres.. nice one :)

Edited by arwel