• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Schern

Which Water Pump?

Schern

Going to the cam belt on my J reg 1.6 so want to put a new water pump in at the same time. Gsf show two different parts for the 1.6 but its not in the age range mine is. When I search for the 1.9 (working on the principle that its the same block) it only shows 1. Can anyone shed any light on which I need?

welshpug

check your existing water pump, if it incorporates a section that covers the timing belt it's the later one, the earlier pumps didn't have this section.

Anthony

The website is correct and there is two possible pumps that you could need for a ~1992 GTi.

The earlier 113 tooth cambelt and spring-loaded tensioner uses a pump without a cast edge

The later 114 tooth cambelt and eccentric tension uses a pump with the cast edge, which forms part of the belt cover.

Obviously it's also the choice of cambelt kit that is affected, so you'll need to check your engine to see which you have. Most have the earlier 113 tooth belt, but there are some out there with the later setup.

Schern

Hmm, the cars not local to me and I was hoping to get one to take with me as there aren't any part stores near to the car. Might have to buy one of each.

Anthony

For clarity, the earlier pump (without the cast edge) looks like this:

WP1135.jpg

The later pump with the cast edge looks like this, and is shared with later engines (eg XU7):

506029.jpg

Schern

Thanks for the info. I've already bought a cam belt kit but stupidly I did it without checking first so I may have to delay the job. The kit I bought has the tensioner mounted to a y shaped mount which I think is the earlier kit but I think the car is a phase ii so it might be the wrong one. Teach me to leap without looking!

Anthony

Yes that's the earlier setup.

As said, most do have that setup but it's something that you do need to check - my '92/J GTi had the later setup for example and I've seen other '92 models with it too, but equally I've seen plenty with the earlier setup (including later cars on a K plate).

If yours is a 1991/J then you're probably reasonable safe in assuming that you've the earlier setup that you've already bought, assuming it is the original engine and it hasn't been messed with of course!

Can you remember whether the upper cambelt cover is metal or plastic? I think all the metal ones had 113 tooth belts and it was only the later plastic ones that could have had either fitted, but again, it's a much safer bet to check your particular car as anything could have been changed in the 20+ years since it rolled out of the factory.

Schern

I can't remember. I think plastic but I'm not 100%. It's got the coil on top of the manifold but then it's also got a clip on dizzy cap with female connections to a male coil. I've been looking for ht leads but can't find any that match this setup!

Anthony

Clip on female cap? That's from an early car which would have had a wing mounted wet coil and is probably why you're struggling to find leads to suit the later inlet mounted coil.

Phase 2 1.6's should have the male cap, which I think all non-CAT 1.9's had regardless of age.

Schern

As far as I can see on the dizzy there's no where to screw on a later style cap so it looks like the distributor has been changed at some point. Guess I'm going to have to check the car over for an engine code just to confirm exactly what's in it.

Schern

Yes that's the earlier setup.

As said, most do have that setup but it's something that you do need to check - my '92/J GTi had the later setup for example and I've seen other '92 models with it too, but equally I've seen plenty with the earlier setup (including later cars on a K plate).

If yours is a 1991/J then you're probably reasonable safe in assuming that you've the earlier setup that you've already bought, assuming it is the original engine and it hasn't been messed with of course!

Can you remember whether the upper cambelt cover is metal or plastic? I think all the metal ones had 113 tooth belts and it was only the later plastic ones that could have had either fitted, but again, it's a much safer bet to check your particular car as anything could have been changed in the 20+ years since it rolled out of the factory.

Checked today and it's the later setup as the belt says 114x17 on it which I assume means it's 114 teeth. Only took the top cover off (which was plastic) but that was enough of a pain that it's put me off attempting the rest! There's not a lot of room! I've been trying to find the engine code and I thought I remembered reading that it was down near the alternator somewhere but I haven't been able to find it. Any hints? Is it visible from above?

Anthony

The engine code should be on the block just above the alternator, clearly visible from above.

Earlier engines had it stamped on a plate (that's rivetted on), later ones are engraved on the block.

Earlier 1.6 GTi engines were B6D and later ones B6E.

The dizzy body itself is different between the clip on and screw on caps, and as a result the part number is different. As far as I know, the part number is 0237009063 for the earlier clip-on 1.6 GTi dizzy, and 0237009085 and 086 for the later screw on ones.

omri617

I wish someone could arrange a post with all numbers , part numbers , compatibility , engine codes , etc etc

We have some great experts here (Anthony,Graham,Welshpug,Damir,Miles, ! teach us!

• Like 1