• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mad Professor

Started Tuning My Megasquirt

Mad Professor

Hi All.

I know a few of you have been following my progess my MegaSquirt project.

To date I have only realy been tuning the fuel side of the ecu, but just going out for long drives and using the auto tune.

I now have full access to a Dyno / Rolling Road, when it's free.

Neer the end of the day we had finished with all the car that was booked in for the day and desided to strap my car down and do some real tuning.

We have only tuning from 20-100kpa & 800-3500 rpm, for fuel & ign.

After that we did a small power run and heres what we have so far.

Power%20Run%2004-11-2006.jpg

I can see once the rest of the maps are done and we start tuning the boosted side of the maps and wind up the turbo from 4-5psi, to the 1bar that I will be running I can see alot more power to come.

PsychoSimon

loks like a good smooth curve you have there.

How good is the auto tune on its own? did you need to make many adjustments to the map to get that good curve?

Jonmurgie

Looking excellent... if that's on a half-mapped ECU and feck all boost that thing is gonna fly at 1bar!

Mad Professor

autotune is apart of the MegaTune software so 1 you wile tuning you allways need a laptop connected, and 2 the autotune is for fuel only.

I have used the autotune to get a ok'ish fuel map, but as soon as i got the car on the rollers and held a load site it was well off.

So I would only use autotune if you don't have a fuel table or just a compleate guess of a table to get it somewhere close, but like i said above and soon as we hit a load site the fualing was out.

Also each time we changed the ign we also had to change the fual, table and vise viser.

Malachy
autotune is apart of the MegaTune software so 1 you wile tuning you allways need a laptop connected, and 2 the autotune is for fuel only.

I have used the autotune to get a ok'ish fuel map, but as soon as i got the car on the rollers and held a load site it was well off.

So I would only use autotune if you don't have a fuel table or just a compleate guess of a table to get it somewhere close, but like i said above and soon as we hit a load site the fualing was out.

Also each time we changed the ign we also had to change the fual, table and vise viser.

yeah was a fun day at the rolling road mad, ;)

The problem with autotune is it does not compensate for Acceleration enrichment, you also have a problem of holding load sites, while driving your sites change so fast the ecu hasnt time to adjust check reading etc etc. its fine to dial in a running map but Really to get it nice you need to be able to hold load sites and only way for that is either burning your brakes out or rolling roading.

Use of a wideband lambda helps alot but again if its a long way out then you will get huge steps and adjustments causing poor lumpy running.

was pretty amazed with the change we got and how well it can pull from 25mph in 5th gear :D

i think its quite possible we will see the 250bhp you want :D

Edited by Malachy

AndyY

Looking good mate, nice to see that engine Live on, hopefully it will get the figures that HiFlow designed it to get.

Does Matt know it's coming along?

PumaRacing

I don't know what type of weird rolling road that is but I take it you realise it isn't putting out real power and torque figures?

Malachy
I don't know what type of weird rolling road that is but I take it you realise it isn't putting out real power and torque figures?

ill post on behalf of mad here

yeah there seems to be a lot of problems with the rolling road, basically the company paid loads to have a DYNOmite rolling road fitted,the software is not the easiest in the world to get your head around (DynoMAx) the guy who normally runs it had no idea about anything and basically fked up all the stock settings, Mad has been liasing with land and sea (usa company who manufacture the rr) to get the correct settings etc sorted but they are not the quickest to respond.

So we have been trying to at least get it so we can use it to hold rpm load sites using the eddy and start to map the ecu which we have now achieved, we know the road is not accurate by quite a way but saying that 2 stock cars we have run on it have come out at close to stock figures.

Nissan almera gti came out at 141bhp (stock 143)

and

skoda fabia 1.9 tdi came out at 103 bhp (stock 100)

i know this is not correct but its the best we had at the time :D

but at least we get free use of the rr for our efforts :ph34r:

Edited by Malachy

Mad Professor

PumaRacing: Would you care to explain?

I have now run a number of standard cars on the rollers now and each time the readings have been +/- 15bhp of what thay should show.

I know my 205 is anything but standard, but just doing the maths was the data on the graphs comes back ok.

As for the Dyno / Rolling Road it's self, it is a FWD / RWD / AWD Dynomite system by "Land & Sea".

Edited by Mad Professor

PumaRacing
PumaRacing: Would you care to explain?

I'm amazed you need me to. Do you really think you have 240 ft lbs of torque with hardly any boost? Doesn't it leap right off the page and slap you around the head as being clearly wrong? If not then you aren't even thinking about the numbers or understanding how boost, power and torque are related.

It would be nice to think that the countless hours I've spent analysing dozens of power graphs on here hadn't been completely wasted and that people would be starting to get the hang of it by themselves sometime. To date I'm not that hopeful though.

Mad Professor

The standard 205 1.9 8v TT has 182 ft-lb @ 3000 RPM, 175bhp @ 5000 RPM, and has a turbo running pressure of about 9.75psi / 0.65bar.

205 Turbo Technics Speck Sheet

But as most peps on here know my engine is anything but standard and we are only talking about 58-60 ft-lb here.

And if you want to get really picky here my graph shows 238.5 ft-lb @ 3099 RPM, so thats 56.5ft-lb difference.

Like i said early on in the posts I think i am running about 4-5psi, as I don't have my laptop link to the ECU atm to confirm what pressure I am running at this time, could be more, could be less.

Edited by Mad Professor

PumaRacing
The standard 205 1.9 8v TT has 182 ft-lb @ 3000 RPM, 175bhp @ 5000 RPM, and has a turbo running pressure of about 9.75psi

But as most peps on here know my engine is anything but standard and we are only talking about 58-60 ft-lb here.

And if you want to get really picky here my graph shows 238.5 ft-lb @ 3099 RPM, so thats 56.5ft-lb difference.

So? You've said that you're only running 4 to 5 psi at the moment. Are you now saying that's not correct?

welshpug

doesnt sound like it to me :rolleyes:

sounds like you are though!!! :angry:

TEKNOPUG

Those standard TT figures are a little out: it's more like 163bls/ft and 175bhp around 5700.

Anyway...I digress. The torque and power curves look pretty consistant with other blown 205's that I have seen. However, your figures are suggesting that you are making well over the figures for a TT, running full engine management and headwork with around 10-12psi. Which can't possibly be the case! So either your RR is completely out accuracy-wise or you are running more than 10psi.

If you are planning on cranking it up to a bar and you are getting 238lbs/ft from just 5psi - then it stands to reason that you'll be getting well over 300lbs/ft on full boost. Which means you'll have an engine producing well in excess of 300bhp.......which would be nice......but is clearly not within the realms of reality....

Mad Professor

I can not confirm or denie what boost I am running at this time, as I don't have a laptop linked to my ecu to tell me what boost pressure I am running, the only thing I have got to go by at this time is the boost guage that matt cony had built into his clocks.

So at this point in time I am not going argue the toss about what if and or boost I am running at this point in time.

I am not over worried abut engine figgers at this time, as most of the engine maps has not been finished, and I still need to fit my new cossie 4x4 intercooler, and other items.

The main resign for this post was to show the progress of my megasquirt project and not to get into a bitch slap about RR figgers.

TEKNOPUG

That's fair enough but most people are probably interested in seeing the benefits of Megasquirt and that's not possible without reliable figures. But I'm sure that they'll be impressive once it's all been mapped across the whole reve range.

Guest slim

Is there a spec sheet for this car anywhere? Must be a big turbo :lol:

Shouldn't the power/torque lines cross at 5252RPM?

Normski
Shouldn't the power/torque lines cross at 5252RPM?

Only if the graph is plotting Revs against power/torque, and the units of power is in Bhp, with torque in Lb.ft

FYI it comes from the equation relating power with torque. Bhp=(Torque x Rpm)/5252. :P

huwjones

How are you finding Megasquirt to use/install/modify? Did you build your own? Wondering how tricky it is because I could do with buying a kit to wire into my 309. Just want to play with the settings and find out how it all works really. Oh, and what version MS are you using? The new one with the faster processor sounds very tempting!

Edited by huwjones

Mad Professor

I found out that I am running around 7psi on low boost, high boost is not connected and not tuned yet.

Also have now moved my rev limiter upto 5k as I have done abit more small tuning.

After the near year, when I get my Sony Laptop fixed I will then be fully tuning my car upto 7k @ 1bar of boost.

huwjones:

I have been running MS on my 205 for well over a year now.

It started as just Fuel only, and in the last few months I have changed over to Fuel & Spark.

I am running MS1 Extra 029t on the version 3 PCB.

I do have a MS2 CPU waiting to go in from when I was running fuel only, but when I went over to Fuel & Spark the only CPU and firmware that support 60-2 Trigger & Coil Packs was the MS1 Extra Firmware.

The MS2 CPU Now supports 60-2 trigger & coil packs, there is also now a MS2 Extra Alpha Firmware, witch looks like it is going to be very nice once finished.

As for where to get MegaSquirt ECU's there are a few places in the UK or buy from the US.

I my self will be reselling the ECU's in the new year at my new web site: http://www.megasquirt-uk-ltd.co.uk

If you have any question please e-mail or pm me.

Edited by Mad Professor

huwjones

Great, thanks for that. The extra alpha software has got me interested again because I didn't want to have to play around with crank wheels and sensors too much. Still a bit new to playing with sensors and mapped ignition, so it's quite confusing at the moment!

Will keep an eye on your website.

Good luck with the TT.

Sign in to follow this