• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Mi Help Needed - No Sparks, No Fuel.

Cameron

Hi, im in the middle of a Mi conversion on my 205, using a BX loom. I wired everything up and tried to start the engine, it turned over, but no sparks and no fuel. So i made sure that the relays were switching, and only one of them was. So after a bit of investigation and much searching on here i got my multimeter out and tried to track the problem.

I found that the relay wasnt getting power accross the coil so i found a list of ECU pin-outs and found that the ECU wasnt getting its permanant live, this turned out to be a broken wire. So i fixed it and tried again, but it still isnt working.. and im still not getting any power to the relay, so its starting to look like the ECU could be at fault. The thing is id've thought that they very rarely go wrong, so id probably rule it out as a possible cause. But then on closer inspection it looks like the cover for the ECU has been removed at some point, as all the tabs have marks from being bent out, and 2 screws are missing :)

Im gonna get onto the bloke that sold me the engine, and ask if he knows anything about it.. But can anyone suggest anything? Im starting to run out of ideas.

pug_ham

The coil should get power from the same relay as the fuel pump does on an ignition switched feed & this also has a bridging wire that runs to the injection relay which is wired directly to the battery positive distribution block.

The injection relay should also link two more pins at the ecu, # 19 & 35 on the ML4.1 (2 row ecu) pinning out the loom I have.

Graham.

Cameron

Cheers Graham, I managed to get to the bottom of that problem in the end as i didnt realise that the relay comes on when you actually crank the engine, rather than just having the ignition on! Was a silly mistake and wasted loooads of time. I still have a problem though as im still not getting sparks, the fuel pump works and the injectors seem to be working (i put my multimeter accross and turned the engine over and they got a voltage) so it just seems to be ignition related.

I remember the guy that sold it to me said he had a problem with the ignition, and that he thought it was the coil so he included a new coil with the engine. But ive ruled out the coil, as i used the one from my working 205. Ive also ruled out the ignition module, as i used the one from my 205 (same part number, so i assume they are the same!) and still had no joy. The coil gets its 12v live with the ignition on. I think the next step is to get the multimeter out and check all the wiring as ive already found one broken wire, there could well be more.

pug_ham

Have you got an earthed wire from the ignition module pin #2? There should be one sticking out of the rubber boot with a ring terminal on.

Graham.

Cameron

Yeah, thats earthed ok, i also get the 12v switched feed at the module. I had a search and found a list of pin-outs for the module and tested all the wires and they seem to be ok. im just in the process of testing the crank position sensor.. it shows 0.5Kohms resistance, havent checked for AC voltage yet. If that seems to be ok ill check that all the wires are intact. Do you know where the wires go to from the crank sensor?

Thanks for the help, cameron.

Cameron

Ok, its sorted now! Turns out that the bloke gave me the old nackered coil and i put it on the car thinking it was the new one! doh!!

Put the coil off my 205 on it and it fired straight up! :unsure:

Thanks for the help, cameron.

Sign in to follow this