• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Need A New Daily Driver

andyjstone

My Alfa 147 is getting a bit tired and too many faults and I need to replace it, but nothing really inspires me.

I do a lot of mileage (around 25000pa), mostly motorway, so I need something with decent fuel economy (the Alfa does 44 mpg), good motorway cruiser, but also something nice to be in ('cos I spend a lot of time in it), something that is good to drive and reliable.

So, do I go the boring/safe route and go for a Golf or A3 TDI or something more interesting like the Alfa Brera/GT (can't believe I'm considering buying another Alfa) or something else?

Budget isn't too much of an issue, but I suppose I want to spend around £10k.

Help me out, 'cos I'm stuck - although my son says I should save up and buy Nissan GTR, I'm not sure it's entirely practical and I'm sure the 205 is more fun.

Cloverleaf

My vote would be an E46 330d!

If you do that many miles running cost are big consideration (although you don't explicitly say so) so something like a Nissan GTR would be ridiculous! You definately need a diesel!

I do about 30k a year and bought a 330d Sport last summer. It's my first BM and as an all round car it's brilliant. Nice to be in, great on the motorway, returns over 40mpg, yet great fun and quick when you get off the motorway. If you haven't driven/been in a BM 6 cylinder diesel then I suggest you try. I'm very impressed.

Atari Boy

I would agree with Cloverleaf, I had a BMW 3 Series diesel and they are fantastic bits of kit - I only got 37 mpg but that may have been my right foot letting me down.

I know there are lots of them about but that should not put you off. The run flats they use can make the ride a bit harsh for some people but getting from my 205 it seemed fine.

andyjstone
New Mondeo ST TDCI estate. :P

eBay link.

Can't think of a better daily.

No, sorry, can't do the Mondeo route, just does nothing for me :lol:

3 series BM is worth looking at, hadn't really thought of that, but good idea B)

Paul_13

BMW 3 series touring :lol:

andyjstone
BMW 3 series touring :lol:

OK, OK< I'll take a look, anyone every tried this place: http://www.theinternetcarshowroom.com/ - just up the road to me and might be worth a look, even if just to get an idea of bang for buck.

Cameron

Fair enough! Well BMW 3 series estate would be a very firm second.

Never tried that place, I always drive past it on the M3 and think how the hell do you get there!? :lol:

welshpug

Volvo?

andyjstone
Volvo?

and????

Atari Boy
and????

Tweed cap?

andyjstone
Tweed cap?

That's what I was thinking, I might be an old codger, but I ain't got pipe and slippers on my Xmas list yet :lol:

welshpug

you asked for a suggestion of what to get, I gave you one :lol: thought the pipe and slippers was the Honda Civic brigade!! that image for volvo's disappeared years ago.

A quick look at autotrader for a car of a similar size to the Alfa suggests an S40 2.0 D, or 1.6D even, you'll get something 20-30k miles old from 2005-6, or something newer but with potentially twice the mileage, that's for 9-10k.

looking at the 3 series you'll get something of a similar age but two to three times the mileage for the same price, or a few years older and average mileage.

Edited by welshpug

Atari Boy
you asked for a suggestion of what to get, I gave you one :lol:

Sorry, that was my fault, I could not resist, but cheap never the less.

andyjstone
you asked for a suggestion of what to get, I gave you one B) thought the pipe and slippers was the Honda Civic brigade!! that image for volvo's disappeared years ago.

A quick look at autotrader for a car of a similar size to the Alfa suggests an S40 2.0 D, or 1.6D even, you'll get something 20-30k miles old from 2005-6, or something newer but with potentially twice the mileage, that's for 9-10k.

looking at the 3 series you'll get something of a similar age but two to three times the mileage for the same price, or a few years older and average mileage.

OK, I give in, definitely worth a look - the S40 2.0D Sport looks OK and you are right, you do seem to get a lot more for you money than the BM and I've never had a Volvo!

andyjstone

I quite like the look of this: linky 1

or even this:

Linky 2

Although not sure not sure on the colour.

Wallby

My vote would be with the Alfa GT, or maybe even the Brera. The diesels give good performance and economy, and they look so much better than most other things on the road!

The interiors are a much nicer place to sit than the boring inside of a Beemer or Volvo too!

jimistdt

Hows about a Focus, or Honda Civic S, good economy, reliability, easy on the eye?

andyjstone
My vote would be with the Alfa GT, or maybe even the Brera. The diesels give good performance and economy, and they look so much better than most other things on the road!

The interiors are a much nicer place to sit than the boring inside of a Beemer or Volvo too!

Now you're talking my language, but having had several Alfas I know that they aren't necessarily a good long term buy and most are bought with the heart rather than the head - as I have the 205 to satisfy the heart, I'm not sure my head can take another Alfa.

Wallby

Yes, you have got the 205, but this is the car you will be driving most of the time!

Im sure that Alfa is working hard to fix all the problems that was wrong with the brand. Their reliablity and dealer network is getting alot better, and they hold their value better.

You could also wait for the 147 replacement, the Giulietta?

I can see your point about being bought with your heart, but why spend all that money on something your not completly sure on and is boring! B)

Cloverleaf
Yes, you have got the 205, but this is the car you will be driving most of the time!

Im sure that Alfa is working hard to fix all the problems that was wrong with the brand. Their reliablity and dealer network is getting alot better, and they hold their value better.

You could also wait for the 147 replacement, the Giulietta?

I can see your point about being bought with your heart, but why spend all that money on something your not completly sure on and is boring! B)

You ever driven a 200+bhp, 400+Nm rear wheel drive 330d?! Certainly not boring. Obviously I'm biased as it's the car I drive. However, I'd never owned a rear wheel drive car (only fwd hot hatches and 4wd rally cars!) and fancied the BM at the time. Now I'm a BM convert as there are so many nice touches that just make hours of driving a bit less painless. The fact I can sit on the motorway for two hours in great comfort with heated seats, cruise control, a brilliant stereo etc and then have loads of fun when I get to the A-roads has won me over.

I agree there's plenty of other good suggestions. I also owned a 145 cloverleaf (hence the forum name) and loved it to bits (which is what it turned into shortly after I sold it!), and we also had a 156 in the family. I would definately own another Alfa.

A lot depends on how new you want the car to be and how many miles you want it to have on it. You'll get a lot more car for your money if you go a bit older.

Wallby

I have driven a 330d and I didn't mean it was boring as such. These days BMW make some of the best cars in terms of engineering, comfort etc, but there are so many of them on the road and are a 'safe' choice. I would want something a little different. IMO, the interiors in BMWs are a bit plain and boring. They probably are the most comfy and functional, but not for me.

Miles

Lexus IS or GS, Allot nicer and easier to use than the BMW's inside and out, + they never go wrong, Well very rarely

andyjstone
...but there are so many of them on the road and are a 'safe' choice.

Yes, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, there is probably a very good reason why there are so many on the road.

Problem I have is that I love being in the Alfa, but it has done 94000 miles and the following is wrong with it:

1. Turbo is buggered, needs a new one

2. Rear windscreen wiper doesn't work - well it does when it feels like it

3. Clutch pedal croaks

4. Makes horrible rattly noise when you start it up

5. Headlight adjustment broken and beams all over the place

6. Left hand indicator works sometimes

And I've already replaced quite a few other bits over the past couple of years.

My previous Impreza did 110000 miles and not one single thing went wrong with it, my previous Alfa 156GTA it took them 3 months to get everything working and after 30000 miles it didn't seem to drive right and the brake pressure was variable (not by design) and my previous Lexus IS200 did 90000 miles and not one single thing went wrong with it - do you see a pattern??

I understand exactly what you are saying, but the problem is that the pleasure in owning an Alfa is counter-balanced by the grief.

Essentially it is a car I am going to use to get from A - B, mostly on the motorway, with minimal fuss, low running costs and a bit of comfort - so the 'boring' solution is kind of looking more attractive.

Lexus IS or GS, Allot nicer and easier to use than the BMW's inside and out, + they never go wrong, Well very rarely

As per my post below, I've done the IS route and it was an enjoyable experience, but wouldn't want to have the same car twice!

MrG
you asked for a suggestion of what to get, I gave you one B) thought the pipe and slippers was the Honda Civic brigade!! that image for volvo's disappeared years ago.

I'd look at the odd Volvo, but then again I am currently driving an 850R with 290bhp to play with! Definatley not pipe and slippers.

The 3 series is a good car but as has been said before they are bland due to so many being about.

The Alfa, GT would be the choice, I wouldn't go the Brera route, they're too heavy and sluggish in comparison to the GT. I had an AR, but it was a 147GTA, hardly daily driver material.