• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest bnr32

Looking To Buy 205gti

Guest bnr32

Hey guys,

I might be buying a 205gti to use as a daily very soon just wanted to know a few things first.

The car is pretty cheap and isn't in the best condition. The body needs a little work but interior is perfect. The engine has a little rattle and has had about 210xxxkms on the clock.

Now, is it worth me buying this car and fixing it up or shuold i just hold out for a better car? Is general servicing and replacing body parts easy to do. And what about parts and panels, are they easy to come by or will i have trouble finding them?

Cheers,

davey205

Hello, to a new member from Auz, I was in Australia a couple of years ago but couldn't find any 205's one of the reasons I left (and the motherinlaw).

Difficult to say what you should do without seeing it, is it a 1.6 or 1.9?

I bought a 205 with higher mileage than that and had no issues with the engine, as for holding out for a better car - i was there for 6 months and kept looking on the net and only 1 came up close enough to buy and it wasn't even a gti it was a "Si".

General servicing is very easy probably easier than modern cars, i wouldn't know about replacing panels or much else really, :) someone with more experience will no doubt drop their 2 cents.

harryskid

Check around the sills by the bottom of the door pillars be for the rear quarter panels a weak spot 205s.

Harryskid :ph34r:

DrSarty
Check around the sills by the bottom of the door pillars be for the rear quarter panels a weak spot 205s.

Harryskid :)

Agreed. If the shell's good and strong, and the rear beam is healthy then I'd not worry about the old engine, get it and take the opportunity to Mi16 it. :)

If you don't know PeterT, then get acquainted. He's extremely helpful and in northern Sydney.

A thumping Mi on his stage I inlet cam, GTI6 inlet with adjusted/able cam timing and his chip upgrade (or even better aftermarket management like Haltech) will see you with an outstanding car.

shalmaneser

^ all true sarty but as a daily you need a degree of reliability, and a knocking engine might be a pain in the arse. Not many people using a car as a means of getting to work every day can afford to take the car off the road for a few weeks and do an engine swap.

Still, a solid body is still the most important bit...

SurGie

I can't see much of an issue when it comes to rust in Australia, compared to the UK.

Guest bnr32

thanks for the response guys.

theres actually a couple of 205 gti's in VIC at the moment but ones a lot more expensive then the one im looking at, although it's in a lot better condition.

Where exactly should i look at to make sure the chassis is still in good condition?? I was told there's no rust from the seller and I haven't seen any so far so that seems to be ok.

About the knocking engine, basically im scared the engine is on the way out, I did a search and it could be from a loose exhaust manifold gasket or something like that. So i'm gonna have another look at the car and fully suss out the engine and make sure it drives good.

Anything else i should look out for guys?

Cheers.

timb1046

the 1.9s are strong engines. and i'd say the knock is more likley to be somthing loose. what kind of knock is it? i know they're hard to describe, get the seller to record it and post it up on here so we can have a listen maybe.