• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sport1901966

Empty Land To Run In Engine

sport1901966

Does anyone have any suggestions as per the title. Having no MOT etc is making it difficult to find a legal way of getting the car run in and also spotting any dynamic problems pre-mot. In any case the ridiculous exhaust means driving it is hardly going to be subtle wherever I do it!

Hands up who owns an empty airfield!

Thanks all,

Geoff

Tom Fenton

Just take it for an MOT. If it is healthy then it should pass regardless of how long it has run for.

sport1901966

It's been off the road for a long time, it was bought from an auction a few years ago and hasn't moved since so I expect there to be problems.

It's mainly because I don't want it being driven around/left at idle by someone else until it's been run in. I may be being over the top but I want the engine to be perfect after the money and more importantly the time I've spent on it!

24seven

I'd still consider taking a VERY long route to the MOT station and run it in on the way using the full power/coast method to begin with, then (after covering a good 100 miles or so) take it to them MOT place and get the oil/filter changed while you're there.

SurGie

Wont the police have something to say about being 80 miles or so away from a booked mot garage and from home ?

Its not worth the risk driving it to far away from home to garage route imo.

Edited by SurGie

24seven

Pretty sure there's no restriction on how far you can drive to an MOT station, but correct me if I'm wrong. But then that doesn't mean you have to pick a station 80 miles away either, just take an extended route.

Edited by 24seven

sport1901966

I'm fairly sure your right about it not being limited.

The appeal of empty land is there is no abiguity - as there could be should I come across police having a bad day (as mentioned the exhaust will certainly attract attention!). Also there's no chance of getting stuck in traffic - apparently leaving the engine at idle is the worst thing to do when trying to run in the rings...

rescue dude
Pretty sure there's no restriction on how far you can drive to an MOT station, but correct me if I'm wrong. But then that doesn't mean you have to pick a station 80 miles away either, just take an extended route.

Another option is to pick a reasonably nearby garage and drive it round and round the block.

Whats so ridiculous about the exhaust?

sport1901966

I could probably fit my head in it :) it came with the engine when I bought it and although it sounds pretty awesome, its about as far from subtle as it gets so if i'm working the engine up and down the rpm range letting the engine coast down on the overrun I think the whole neighbourhood will know!

rescue dude
I could probably fit my head in it :wacko: it came with the engine when I bought it and although it sounds pretty awesome, its about as far from subtle as it gets so if i'm working the engine up and down the rpm range letting the engine coast down on the overrun I think the whole neighbourhood will know!

If it's ridiculously loud the MoT dude will fail it.

I'd give it a damn good check over or ask someone to, before i threw away £50 or so on an almost certain Mot fail.

Saying that though a mate of mine bought a Clio that had been stood for well over 12 months, put it through an MoT and it passed. So you never know. :)

notamondayfan

There might not be a limit to the distance you can travel to an MOT station, but a car has to be "road worthy", even if you are driving it to get MOT'd. If it's been sat for a couple of years, I'd definately give it an overhaul and check over before taking it on the road.

sport1901966

As part of the conversion I'm correcting everything I can. As you say it still has to be roadworthy regardless of the distance travelled. By the time it gets on the road everything I can be sure of being ok when it's sat still will be sorted, obviously tyres, brakes, fuel/brake lines, lights and so on.

I don't imagine it'll be an MOT fail as far as the exhaust goes, but it's still loud enough to draw attention, especially I'd imagine when accelerating up and down. If I could take it out when the roads were empty i.e. late night/early morning then it would be fine but the problem being no MOT stations will be open.

SurGie

With a loud exhaust driving at night early morning you would also be more than likely be seen by the police, when traffic is busy they tend not to notice

like they would when you are on the road alone.

Best thing imo is to check it all over yourself then drive round a ring road for a while near mot place then take it in. After checking it

yourself it should only fail on a few bits at the most.

Good luck with it all :)

Masekwm

If you are at Uni, then take it to Autocraft in Dunstable, prebook for a day when the older fella is on (Ken). Then you get a decent tester and a decent trip from Welwyn to Dunstable.

harryskid

If its like that will it pass the emissions test?.

Harryskid :)

sport1901966
With a loud exhaust driving at night early morning you would also be more than likely be seen by the police, when traffic is busy they tend not to notice

like they would when you are on the road alone.

Best thing imo is to check it all over yourself then drive round a ring road for a while near mot place then take it in. After checking it

yourself it should only fail on a few bits at the most.

Good luck with it all :(

Exactly my concern, I think thats what i'll end up having to do.

Thanks chap appreciated!

If you are at Uni, then take it to Autocraft in Dunstable, prebook for a day when the older fella is on (Ken). Then you get a decent tester and a decent trip from Welwyn to Dunstable.

Unfortunately I don't have the car up here otherwise that would be a good idea, traffic isn't to bad during the day/weekends along that route. I need to find somewhere around epsom ideally.

If its like that will it pass the emissions test?.

Harryskid ;)

Emissions shouldnt be a prob, the noise is due to lack of silencer, the emissions control systems are all as standard.