• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
grantley1988

Looking To Buy An Mi16 Gti

grantley1988

I have seen a nice mi16 205 for sale which unfortunatly is a 3hr drive away. The description on the ad is not the best so i am after a few pointers really. What should i ask the guy about? If i do decide to have a look at the car what should i be looking out for. Cheers

richsmells

Have a read of the Mi16 conversion and discussion topics on here. You'll soon get a good idea of what to look for specifically.

Aside from the usual 205 traits:

Engine at correct angle.

Exhaust solution.

Bodged wiring.

Type of management (Motronic or 8v with dizzy adapter)

There's probably a lot more, but that's a start.

Miles

Allot are DIY install's which have been porly done and can be a huge can of worm's, Most conversion's I have seen need a fair amount of work to make them relaible, people think that 205's are cheap so finding bodge's is not uncommon I'm afraid.

Any details on the car?>

hcmini1989
I have seen a nice mi16 205 for sale which unfortunatly is a 3hr drive away. The description on the ad is not the best so i am after a few pointers really. What should i ask the guy about? If i do decide to have a look at the car what should i be looking out for. Cheers

might be worth putting up where it is and seeing if you can get some one local to it have a look for you in exchange for some beer tokens or if your lucky for free :)

grantley1988
Allot are DIY install's which have been porly done and can be a huge can of worm's, Most conversion's I have seen need a fair amount of work to make them relaible, people think that 205's are cheap so finding bodge's is not uncommon I'm afraid.

Any details on the car?>

The reg is G42 VYV if that is of any use.

grantley1988
might be worth putting up where it is and seeing if you can get some one local to it have a look for you in exchange for some beer tokens or if your lucky for free :)

Its in lincoshire! Far away from where i am! Thats why i am debating going there if its not going to be what i want. Its pretty much what i am looking for, needs a little bit of work but still a good base. I would be willing to buy a few pints!!!

Miles

This the one on Piston heads? if so it doesn;t look that good even with pictures, Engine running and no Oil pressure isn;t a good start and the same old line of the engine had only done 70k when fitted, LOL the 405 was a Rep car and most had done that within 3 years not alone 20 years

hcmini1989
Its in lincoshire! Far away from where i am! Thats why i am debating going there if its not going to be what i want. Its pretty much what i am looking for, needs a little bit of work but still a good base. I would be willing to buy a few pints!!!

if it the one on piston heads for £1500 doesnt look to be the tidyest of installs but i suppose its somewhere to start from .its abit pricey though others on ebay seem to struggling to a fetch 1k .

Miles

Just goes to show at the moment a good 8v makes between £2500 and £3000

hcmini1989

yeah makes you wonder weather its worth doing the conversion at all

shalmaneser
yeah makes you wonder weather its worth doing the conversion at all

:)

but you can go places much faster!

Joshy

But do they genuinely make that sort of money!? I thought those sort of prices were the absolute most you could expect out of a mint 16v 205?

mr_exe

I'd say if you have any doubts then leave it, I went to look at one that was ready converted and came to the conclusion I could and did do a better job myself.

Miles

All day long, But I hate to say it but allot of people on here are tight as :blink: and don;t like paying any money for a 205, If I was selling any good condition 8v it would be around those figure's and for a 16v abit more as I would have converted it to about the highest standard you will get

Baz

I agree.

They have to be top notch though, and means you may have to wait for the right (apreciative) buyer for the top money. Hence i'm selling/sold a couple of mine cheap really for what they are IMO.

Henry Yorke

Agree. The 8V's are a classic and attract the classic market which is where decent money is. 16Vs are seen as old modded cars and therefore don't hold the value. It depends what you want from the car and how you are going to use it.

I devalued my CTI with the modifications technically but I am not that fussed as they are not quite as desirable as the tin tops. It suits my purpose perfectly so worth every penny.

Edited by Henry Yorke

Joshy
Agree. The 8V's are a classic and attract the classic market which is where decent money is. 16Vs are seen as old modded cars and therefore don't hold the value. It depends what you want from the car and how you are going to use it.

I devalued my CTI with the modifications technically but I am not that fussed as they are not quite as desirable as the tin tops. It suits my purpose perfectly so worth every penny.

I disagree. I think that 16v car is an even better prospect for the classic market - It has all of the advantages that the 8v cars had, but the increased performance & reliability of a more modern machine? I can't comment on 8v cars as I've never owned one, but I've always been told that as soon as you take off the rose tinted spectacles the 8v engines weren't exactly the highlight of the 205 GTI?

richsmells
I disagree. I think that 16v car is an even better prospect for the classic market - It has all of the advantages that the 8v cars had, but the increased performance & reliability of a more modern machine? I can't comment on 8v cars as I've never owned one, but I've always been told that as soon as you take off the rose tinted spectacles the 8v engines weren't exactly the highlight of the 205 GTI?

Yeah, but they're part of the period character of the cars. Those looking for a classic car for an invesment purpose or otherwise would want the car to be in as good and original condition as possible, that's where the value is. I know I would. I appreciate the fact a 16v on better management makes a "better" car, but it's still modified, non-original and in time will de-value the car. Plus there are plenty of Heath Robinson conversions out there, which don't do the 205 any favours.

For the record, a classic garage near me had a '89 ph1.5 with 40k. It sold for just over £4.5k. It was in good condition, but there were a couple of bits wrong that only a 205 nerd would spot. (I wouldn't have paid that BTW!) CLICKY

Edited by richsmells

Alex G

I cant believe how much 8vs and 16vs are going for now!

I swear only a few years ago £1500 would get a decent 8v!!!

lemmingzappa

I've never bought any of my cars for re-sell value though, cars are meant to be driven !