• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest weemo1rush

Not So Sure

Guest weemo1rush

Well the dilema started the other week when i found out about a stock 1.9 p2 on webbers with a few other goddies all for the price of 600 quid , now i pick up this months edition on pfc and see the 205 rallye with the btcc engine, now i have about a grand to throw at the car, the engine in it is tired , still running i think the head gasket might be playing up and the valve clearances need doing so im now in a rutt on what do do, im looking at an end result of a stripped out fast road car same sort of thing as the white rallye, what would you guys do!

Edited by weemo1rush

zebedy101

16v it.

Baz

Yawn.

What's the actual question?

Edited by Baz

Guest weemo1rush

Why yawn , to many peolple do the same old stuff looking for something not the norm

welshpug

fix the headgasket adjust the valve clearances whilst you're at it and replace all the worn out bits, then have fun with it.

no point going all out straight away.

Guest weemo1rush

well has any body got any advice , i have the option to buy another engine running webbers , or do i spend the money on my motor maybe a turbo kit and a overhaul or keep stock and do overhaul

RHULPUG
well has any body got any advice , i have the option to buy another engine running webbers , or do i spend the money on my motor maybe a turbo kit and a overhaul or keep stock and do overhaul

If unsure what to do with the money I don't mind if you want to give it to me :lol:

Baz

Of course, there's loads of information on here should you look for it. I just think you'll get more answers outlaying your options a little better and asking a more-thought out and better-put question. Because let's face it, and no offence here, but your OP didn't read very well did it!

You won't do much for a grand if you want the car like Nick's Rallye, so the ultimate goal needs to change a little to suit the budget. Get the car running properly first; engine wise, then concentrate on brakes and suspension initially, then you can work on it from there.

mickie

how much are second hand btcc engines going for these days ? around 7k by my reckoning.. good look building a unique 205 for 1k :)

Guest weemo1rush

TA yea i hear what your all saying inspiration i think is what i was after, and the grand is the start , my missis would kill me but there is more where it came from, not looking to bttc engine it but its different , and different doesnt come about much you always see the same sort of stuff coming through. watch this space

Edited by weemo1rush

MrG

problem is (and what I think Baz is alluring to) is it's all be done before so finding something different is going to be hard if not quite expensive.

So I feel that perhaps some goals of what you're trying to achieve is the way to go before asking 'what should I do'. For eg, is this track biased, fast road or just a quick motor. What outputs you aiming for and are you after something more modern under the bonnet (for eg mappable ignition/ecu) or good old carbs.

Personally I love the carb route but I would, that's my chosen way.

Plus a grand doesn't seem to go far these days where engines are concerned, I can't bring myself to add up my costs over the past 2 years (let alone tell the boss) and I'm still in the 8v community.

So am I right in thinking you have a 1.9 already on carbs but the motor is worn or do you have a std 1.9 with the option of buying a carb'd 1.9?

mickie

almost everything has been done with the 205..

apart from maybe trying to make a 205 btcc style car, tubbing the arches higher. getting it real low, but the 309 would be better for that

hcmini1989
TA yea i hear what your all saying inspiration i think is what i was after, and the grand is the start , my missis would kill me but there is more where it came from, not looking to bttc engine it but its different , and different doesnt come about much you always see the same sort of stuff coming through. watch this space

its up to you mate but i would stick with your engine better the devil you know .all depends on your abilitys aswell .i.e you could supercharge it or turbo it .for less than a grand but better sort out everything else first .for example suspension set up etc if thats all ok then go for it

if your looking for the big power gains start looking for a gti6 setup would be your best bet you could do that for less than 1k as long as you got a decent motor to start with

if you want something unique get thinking i come up with all sorts off stuff heres one for you a compressor tank in the boot filled with air tapped onto your inlet manifold there you go you have forced induction (btw it doesnt work very well i tried on an 850 mini ) and then i come to the conclusion off a leaf blower ontop off the carb but never tried it and i think its been done before

so think outside the box :)

Edited by hcmini1989

Guest weemo1rush

i have a tired 1.9 8v standard, i have the chance of a sound 1.9 with cam and webbers for 600 quid , i do like the carb opition , looking at a stripped road car that can go around a track !. at least this way i could overhaul the standard lump and kepp it

Guest weemo1rush

how much for the engine carbs and omax then? might be intrested

Daviewonder
heres one for you a compressor tank in the boot filled with air tapped onto your inlet manifold there you go you have forced induction (btw it doesnt work very well i tried on an 850 mini )

Please tell us more :)

kyepan
tell you more about what

about what he quoted, IE the compressed air thing.

:lol:

hcmini1989

it never did anything realy but used the air in the tank .no noticible gains .it had a dodgy downdraught webber carb i got of ebay so that never helped .as it never ran right

i used an old air tank that we used to fill up so we could carry round and blow up tyres basicly a small compressor tank with some pipe running to a banjo union on the inlet manifold and an on off valve. manualy operated not really alot more to tell .it should have worked but never well not what i wanted it to do (i was expecting the nitrous boost like on the fast an furios)

it is a good idea though :lol:

i never tried the leaf blower idea .

Edited by hcmini1989

kyepan
it never did anything realy but used the air in the tank .no noticible gains .it had a dodgy downdraught webber carb i got of ebay so that never helped .as it never ran right

i used an old air tank that we used to fill up so we could carry round and blow up tyres basicly a small compressor tank with some pipe running to a banjo union on the inlet manifold and an on off valve. manualy operated not really alot more to tell .it should have worked but never well not what i wanted it to do

it is a good idea though :lol:

i never tried the leaf blower idea .

Thing is with forced induction, the compressor acts like a non return valve, so the air in the tube after it is compressed. To make the compressed gas idea work it would need something to stop the gas just expanding back up the inlet tract.

another random idea, remove the nitrogen from the air on the way in .. as air is 79% nitrogen and 16 % oxygen. more oxygen more bang..,. cough nitrous cough

hcmini1989
Thing is with forced induction, the compressor acts like a non return valve, so the air in the tube after it is compressed. To make the compressed gas idea work it would need something to stop the gas just expanding back up the inlet tract.

another random idea, remove the nitrogen from the air on the way in .. as air is 79% nitrogen and 16 % oxygen. more oxygen more bang..,. cough nitrous cough

yeah i never realy though into it that deeply :lol: .makes sense though. i suppose what your on about^^^ could be done with some sort of special catlyst converter ;)

they you are youd make a fortune with that if you could make one

sorry for the hijack ;) btw

Edited by hcmini1989

DrSarty

It's WEBER!

It's a brand name, and it's stamped as clear as day on the carbs. It is not 'webber'.

Agree with the comments too that you should really sort out what you want the car for, then do some searching on here and read through what people have been successful with in different applications, e.g. fast road, track work, rally etc.

You seem to have £1,000 burning a hole in your pocket, and that's not really the best approach to have.

Repair what you have - which if it's just a head gasket is all of £200 - and have the £800 as spare to solve anything else that comes up. Enjoy the car in that state for a bit before you've done your research and really know what you want to do.

richsmells

If the car is only £600 it's probably not going to be in amazing condition. You can throw as much as you like at the engine, but the rest of the car will let it down.

If I was going to spend £1k on a 205:

New head gasket, new brake lines, hoses, rebuilt calipers, shocks/springs/big bars, mounts/bushes, decent rubber, rust/paint?. - Then you'll have an awesome fast road car you can have confidence in, that won't break the bank.

Edited by richsmells