• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
miamistu

Driver's Door Won't Close

miamistu

Hi,

Got up to go to work today and opened the drivers side door. I was a little forceful as it was frozen and I heard a crack or a snap when it opened. Now it won't stay shut - the locking mechanism doesn't hold it in place as if the handle was in the open position.

I've not got a haynes to hand and a forum search has revealed nothing.

Does anybody know what's gone wrong?

It's not too urgent as I ended up walking to work (in the freezing cold! :)) so can't check it out properly until tonight.

Thanks,

Stuart :lol:

TT205

Over the years I've gone to work several times with the door held shut with rope - it's always been because it's frozen - shuts fine when temperature warms up a bit!!

never made a nasty snapping noise though

steve@cornwall

Check that the lock pin on the body hasn't become loose - may have moved inwards when shutting the door with a tight (frozen) mech

miamistu
Over the years I've gone to work several times with the door held shut with rope - it's always been because it's frozen - shuts fine when temperature warms up a bit!!

never made a nasty snapping noise though

I'm praying that's the case. I'm hoping the noise was just ice breaking when I opened the car :)

Check that the lock pin on the body hasn't become loose - may have moved inwards when shutting the door with a tight (frozen) mech

It's not the pin on the body, I has a look at that. It's definately the door - if I shut the mechanism with a screwdriver it doesn't stay in the locked position. :lol:

hengti

sounds like a door card off job - there are several bits of plastic in the door that operate the locking mechanism which are connected via a stiff wire rod - could be one of the plastic assemblies has snapped and released the rod or the rod has otherwise come free - ?

sorry - really difficult to explain and visualise but should be obvious(ish) how it works once you've got the door card off

miamistu

Arse - If it's not fixed itself when I get in tonight I'll whip off the card and have a nosy :)

Simes

You may get away with just removing the trim around the handle before removing the card itself.

miamistu

Huzzah, I don't have to do anything - the magic car fairy fixed it while I was at work :D

Looks like TT205 was right :)

welshpug

check that the handle itself is returning properly, the outer bit normally does but not the inner.

Sign in to follow this