• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Flying205Nutter

Gti6 Engine Problem

cheesegrater

Paul. Your diagnostic socket is plugged in isn't it?

Paul_13

Yep, but ecu hasn't recognised a fault as the engine management light isnt on.

Flying205Nutter

Yep, but ecu hasn't recognised a fault as the engine management light isnt on.

engine management light goes out on my 205 as well but you can unplug half the sensors and its still stays out. In fact I have never seen it come on with the engine running.

Toddy

The engine management light only illuminates for Major faults, it will still log the minor faults.

Flying205Nutter

Have been thinking about this and its still annoying me.

Is it possible that the injector plugs could be fitted in the wrong order? Is it possible to test / identify the correct order?

CosKev

Have been thinking about this and its still annoying me.

Is it possible that the injector plugs could be fitted in the wrong order? Is it possible to test / identify the correct order?

Pretty sure it doesn't matter on these,as they are 'bank' fire,not sequential.

Still not had mine plugged in yet,will try and get it done this week.

welshpug

Pretty sure it doesn't matter on these,as they are 'bank' fire,not sequential.

Still not had mine plugged in yet,will try and get it done this week.

it does matter, they have a cam sensor, and are full sequential, hence the large injectors that fire a single time for each compression stroke.

however due to the way the loom is laid out it'll be pretty difficult to get them wrong, it'll be quite obvious.

you can identify them by wire number or by belling out back to the ecu plug.

Edited by welshpug

Flying205Nutter

Thanks, I thought they where sequential. The 2 nearest the gearbox could be swapped without a problem. I tried this and it makes the problem worse. Will keep scratching my head. I have bought a new loom will cut it up and swap it over and swear like mad if it doesn't fix the problem.....

welshpug

no need to "cut them up" at all!

you can fit them pretty much as is then connect a few wires to see if it'll run, if you wish then you can re-route to make it a little tidier.

Flying205Nutter

no need to "cut them up" at all!

you can fit them pretty much as is then connect a few wires to see if it'll run, if you wish then you can re-route to make it a little tidier.

I had thought about that but I like to double and triple check things! I have the round multi plug so would be easy to plug in a new loom but It has to be driveable as the problem is only noticeable on the move.

Flying205Nutter

Sorry to bring this old tread back but....

I changed the loom and forgot to plug the speed sensor in and it runs sweet, much smother and problem gone! now on either loom as soon as I plug the speed sensor in it runs roughly again!

So that's 2 engines, 2 looms and 3 speed sensors I have tried. I would run without it but it hesitates when pulling off junctions which is annoying.

Any ideas?

welshpug

new speed sensor and check the wiring.

Flying205Nutter

new speed sensor and check the wiring.

I have 3 sensors and 2 looms all doing the same thing. It can only be the way I wired the multiplug into the car side but that should not affect it.... Should it? What are the 3 wires from the sensor doing? I know 1 is earth, the other 2, one goes to the ecu and one to the Black multiplug? (for the speedo so not needed?)

Edited by Flying205Nutter

welshpug

one should be 12v switched, one is earth, one is signal which goes to the ecu and splits to the round multiplug.

Flying205Nutter

one should be 12v switched, one is earth, one is signal which goes to the ecu and splits to the round multiplug.

Thanks, I did test the loom that's not fitted and the earth is good. One wire goes to the ecu and the other to the multiplug. I will test it and see if its getting its 12v feed.

Flying205Nutter

Tested the wires to the speed sensor and I have a switched live, an earth and the third wire goes to the ecu so nothing wrong there.....

This problem is going to be the death of me!

Is there any real advantage to having the speed sensor plugged it or can I leave it unplugged?

Spiky

You have the right cog's in the vss?

Not having it plugged is fine, I didn't for ages, just get the flat spot starting off

Flying205Nutter

You have the right cog's in the vss?

Using the 205 cog in the vts box, mechanical speed reading 100% spot on so the electric one must be turning at the same speed.

Yes felt the flat spot, annoying but not as annoying as it is when plug in!

Edited by Flying205Nutter

Sign in to follow this