• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pavlony

Dwf D6c Swap

MiCRO

Bad luck :(

Maybe now is the time to change the gearbox for diesel one, AFAIK it would provide better acceleration?

pavlony

I currently have three dismantled gearboxes. My BE3 with broken housing, BE1 (in good condition ) and diesel gearbox. I want to transfer BE3 core in BE1 housing (because regular reverse shifting). And next job is transplanting diesel synchro cone in BE1.

I bought a diesel gearbox because I thought that fifth gear is longer than mi16. It`s wrong. It is the same set. I have not counted the other gears, but I think the only difference is diff.

Some guy offer me XM 2.0 gearbox (probably have longer fifth gear)

B1ack_Mi16

If you have a 1.9 TD gearbox the gearbox housing itself on this box is reinforces to the regular BE1 / BE3 ones from the same time, so could be an idea to use that.

Normal 1.9D however has the weaker housing.

welshpug

personally I'd just use the casing and any synchro and matching gear parts, otherwise use all the MI16 final drive etc.

pavlony

It is a plain 1.9 diesel gearbox. Case is different, (the clutch fork mechanism and no place for crankshaft sensor), and obviously weaker.

But synchro cone is less worn due shifting at 2000-3000 rpm instead of 5000-7000 as MI16.

pavlony

*#%!!! everything is upside down. 2nd gear synchro is damaged. But I can`t simply replace synchro necklace. I must disassemble whole set. Oh no. How do I connect it. I do not know

pavlony

Job done. Gearbox works excellent. Now I have BE2D gerabox :D

MiCRO

As I'm about to rebuild my XU9J4Z (DFW) engine and I want to convert it to a D6C engine I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions in your topic.

I hope somebody could help me.

First of all, im interested in how much material is it possible to take from the head, I think I need to take off ~1mm to get D6C compression since I've bought a +0.2mm headgasket. Is this possible or is it too much? I'd rather get the compression with D6C pistons but I can't find any.

Secondly, I read on this site http://www.taylor-eng.com/xu9j4/16v_overview.html about D6C and DFW engine differences, and was wondering, which is better, to keep my inlet cam pulley #3, or change it to a #2 or a #4 maybe, considering the compression increasement (I'm aiming at 10.4 as in the D6C)?

Edited by MiCRO

welshpug

I would just fit D6C pistons rather than skim the head excessively.

petert1345402284

Skimming the head will only get you to around 9.8-10:1. Much better to skim the block and liners 1.30mm.

Definitely keep the #3 on the inlet if using standard cam.

Edited by petert

MiCRO
Skimming the head will only get you to around 9.8-10:1. Much better to skim the block and liners 1.30mm.

Definitely keep the #3 on the inlet if using standard cam.

Thanks a lot. How much do you think I could have by skiming the block 1.3mm? 10.4:1 or more?

petert1345402284

10.8:1

also add some more intake duration!

MiCRO
also add some more intake duration!

How can I do this?

I'm planning to keep standard camshafts.

petert1345402284

Either reground or new cam is necessary.

MiCRO
Either reground or new cam is necessary.

Since I'm limited with my budget, or better say I have no budget at all :lol: what do you suggest.

I only want to convert my DFW into D6C since I'm rebuilding the engine, would it be enough to skim the block for let's say 1.2 (to get 10.4:1), and put the #2 pulley? Or are the camshafts also different? Would it be necessary to remap the car after these changes?

DRTDVL1345402287

buy peter's cams they are cheap!

John

You dont remap. My old Mi16 had a DFW head with a D6C block that ran DFW management. Compression was that of the D6C. Had a cat and still pulled like a train.

Anyway, the newer management on DFW is a more advanced one than on the D6C.

MiCRO
buy peter's cams they are cheap!

Maybe they aren't expensive, but since I'm from Croatia, I'm afraid I would pay for postage costs more than they are worth. :(

@John: Glad to hear that, that's one expense less on my list :)

petert1345402284

If you're taking the effort to skim the block/liners, do the full 1.3mm. It's not about the tiny extra CR, but more about reducing the squish distance. It will still work nicely with the standard cams. I also sell chips for AUS$45 which is a remap!

MiCRO
If you're taking the effort to skim the block/liners, do the full 1.3mm. It's not about the tiny extra CR, but more about reducing the squish distance. It will still work nicely with the standard cams. I also sell chips for AUS$45 which is a remap!

Could you please find out what would be postage costs for this and cams, I'm from Croatia.

Sign in to follow this