Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

8V Rebuild

• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

happypatrol

happypatrol
  • Drivers
  • 86 posts
  • Name:David
Excellent. Will get a set ordered up. There's a choice of two. But I think I know which set it is. My coip is in the inner wing.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage

Hi all,

So I've made up my mind to finish this engine as its all still in bits. I'd like to get it right and have had a good read through the Haynes. Here's my plan -thoughts please!

1. Get the head skimmed

2. Get the Crank checked at a machine shop and correct shells ordered

3. Hone or replace for new the liners

4. Rebuild the head

5. Rebuild the bottom end

I have however got zero experience with this other than the initial strip down

so I'm happy with the head skim but unsure about getting the valve clearances set - should a machine shop measure this to get the correct shims?

The same goes for the crank, I know it needs checking but does the machine shop tell you want shells need ordering?

Any advice would be appreciated

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,784 posts
A good machine shop will measure and re shim the valve clearances for you.
Likewise they can get you the shells to suit your crank.
Good practise is to check crank bearing clearances on build though.

DamirGTI

DamirGTI
  • Pitcrew
  • 2,758 posts
  • Name:Damir
I'd really do the shims after the head is bolted on the block and all the bolts are torqued per spec.

The clearance tend to close from 0.05 to 0.10mm when the head is bolted to the block so adjustment with the head removed won't be precise ..

Think you might buy new liners dirty cheap these days .. seen them quite a bit off price last time when i shop around , and they where the "goetze" liners which are the best if you ask me .. properly honing liners is not as easy so new ones might be better choice especially at current low price ...

D

Leslie green

Leslie green
  • Drivers
  • 129 posts
  • Name:Leslie

Great thread cheers  :D Just need to find a new block !!!

Edited by Leslie green, 17 September 2017 - 09:25 PM.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage

Ive taken the Crank into a machine shop to be measured. They are also going to skim the head and lap the valves in (and carry out any other emergent work) they have asked a question that I don't know the answer to so I'm hoping someone here does!

Can you still get the core plugs for the head/block? I want to get the shop to clean the head and block oilways etc soI can be confident its as clean as possible.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage
So I've answered my own question with a bit of eBay research core plugs are available. In the mean time I've discovered I've lost the cam for the engine. If I was to buy a replacement would a sporty cam need additional work on the head/engine or could it just be fitted with standard other parts?

pug_ham

pug_ham
  • Team Managers
  • 18,425 posts
  • Name:Graham
Garage View Garage

In the mean time I've discovered I've lost the cam for the engine. If I was to buy a replacement would a sporty cam need additional work on the head/engine or could it just be fitted with standard other parts?

A 'Sporty' cam won't strictly need any additional work, the head will ideally be skimmed to suit the cam, the skim amount will usually be in the cam paperwork that you get but it can mean the additional cost of a vernier so that the cam is properly timed in exactly, which is also dependant on if you buy a blank (new) or reground cam.

If you're sticking with the Jetronic ecu as standard then you can't get a much sportier cam than the standard one anyway because the afm / ecu set up can't cope with it.

g

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage
Hi graham. I did a bit of reading and arrived at the conclusion it isn't worth the effort on standard injection as you say. I've decided to just go standard with a good soils build. To that end the head is having the valve guides replaced and valves lalped in,skim and that is about it. Then I'll worry about the bottom end!

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage

never type on a mobile! a soil build will probably get me nowhere fast!

The cam has turned up.... turns out it was in the box with the head all along- popular in my house atm having turned the place upside down looking for it!

I've left the head at the workshop, should get it back in about a week. In the mean time I've been trying to source a 1.9 gearbox without much success. I'd like to get one and have it reconditioned although I don't know how much that is likely to cost me!

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,772 posts
Garage View Garage

In the mean time I've been trying to source a 1.9 gearbox without much success. I'd like to get one and have it reconditioned although I don't know how much that is likely to cost me!

Drop Miles a PM - he's not local to you, but certainly the last few gearboxes he's checked over and refreshed for me have been quite reasonable price wise.

I think a few others on here can do them now as well - Welshpug springs to mind - but I've only personally used Miles.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage

Thanks Anthony I will do

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage

Anybody else do things like this? Engine block in the living room. I now know the wife really must like the GTI because I haven't been told to move it....

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   69.11KB   0 downloads

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage

Spent the last few hours reading everything I can on 205 engines and tuning.

The overall advice from many posts here and across the internet appears to be....

Do nothing! just build a decent engine from stock parts unless you want to fit carbs, throttle bodies et etc and spend £1000s into the bargain

Don't change the exhaust, manifolds, cams - nothing - I take it nothing has changed? ( as most of the posts I found are a decade old!)

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,615 posts
  • Name:Peter Taylor

More compression is always good if you have good fuel. Either a thinner head gasket or a 0.7 to 1.0mm skim. Additionally, 8V head valve seats were designed for reliability rather than performance. A quality 3 angle seat cut and minor throat work will make a considerable improvement.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage

Hi,

The head is having a light skim- well that's the plan although it looks like its never had one before so maybe it could take a heavier skim- that improves compression right?  As for the  3 angle seat cut - I don't know what that means but Ill speak to the guy who is doing the engine work for sure.

Thanks very much

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,072 posts
  • Name:Mei
it means exactly what It sounds like..

valve seats with three angles cut.

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage

excellent - in the same vein the PSP is the system bus controller on DB4 that in conjunction with the LPRF provides the frequency to the MMA to detect and classify priority threat. Mean nothing or little if you don't understand it.

DamirGTI

DamirGTI
  • Pitcrew
  • 2,758 posts
  • Name:Damir
Need actual degrees for the 3 angle seats ? if so , can offer one which works good on this head .

D

Telf

Telf
  • Drivers
  • 994 posts
Garage View Garage

Damir,

Please that would be really helpful

Thanks