• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johniban

[Car_Upgrade] 1.9 Gti Rust Repairs And Bodywork

johniban

Im not really to interested in a power figure, this car isn't for that, i just want it to be a nice drivable old school car, hence the reason for carbs, nice and simple, hardly any wiring, fix at the road side job :)

welshpug

might as well chuck the original inlet back on then, use less fuel, far more reliable, drivable etc.

johniban

not interested in fuel economy, i have an every day car.

I don't want an ECU

I don't want sensors everywhere

I don't want wires everywhere.

I want simpleness

I want a Smarter, less complicated engine bay

And the awesome sound of carbs

• Like 1

johniban

if i wanted reliabilty, driveabilty and fuel economy id go any buy a new car, thats not the point of an old car

welshpug

you do realise carbs have more moving parts than an injection system don't you?

there was a reason Peugeot put an I on the end of the badge....

johniban

yes, more moving parts you can fix with your hands, not a computer

• Like 1

welshpug

I fix my gti6 engine with my hands too, I'm not a dealer service monkey!

johniban

oh well. each to there own

johniban

So i needed to swap the diff over from the 1.9 original gearbox to the 2.0 vts box,

i wanted to do this so i could use the standard 205 1.9 gti driveshafts and not have a mix match of parts.

null_zps4ee27297.jpg

swapping crownwheels

null_zpse833db4b.jpg

Lucky im using the original diff as the bolts were all stripped on the vts diff, must have been apart before and gunned in

null_zpsa6ad0286.jpg

i then gave the box a fresh bit of hammerite silver that seemed to dry weird but ohwell.

null_zps4657b179.jpg

johniban

Last week i got a bargain of an inlet manifold for a gti6 engine for carbs/throttle bodies for £45

Then i got some weber 40 italian matched carbs with linkage.

I originally wanted weber 45s but they are hard to come by and ridiculous prices!

null_zpsfc30c3d8.jpg

The linkage im not really sure how it works it looks over the top for what i need plus it is a two cable jobbie witch i cant use so will have to go and i will get a single cable one

Took them to work to give them a strip down and clean out when i had a spare 5 mins..

Had some left over MSA spec teflon braided fuel hose and ive got aload of an fittings and hose finishers left over from the 106 so made up a small carb joiner

null_zps48fd08fe.jpg

i then took one top off to find....

null_zps59e4957b.jpg

sand everywhere, where the fuel usually is????? i could understand if there was sand in the venturi if the carbs didnt have filters on but not in the fuel system?

ohwell, nothing looks damaged just a bit dirty so will get a service kit for them and get rebuilding

johniban

Mounted them on for trial

null_zps31c5ca01.jpg

Very happy the way the look in the bay! ill have to get the bodies polished up.

null_zps27fee6a1.jpg

null_zps48db32e2.jpg

null_zpscb4f5fef.jpg

• Like 1

johniban

I got myself a nice smart fuse holder and ran the fuel pump feed from the dash through the original engine bay loom and out just by where the battery would have been witch is where im going to mount the new fuel pump

null_zpsf263f19b.jpg

Anthony

Won't 40's be a bit restrictive on a GTi-6 engine?

The diff bolts have a habit of stripping even when they've been correctly torqued up btw.

johniban

Carried on with some more wiring, all soldiered and heat shrinked.

null_zpsdbff4b9b.jpg

johniban

Won't 40's be a bit restrictive on a GTi-6 engine?

Apparently not, i bought some parts of a guy that runs a gti6 engine on 40s in a mini autograss car, and he says it is bang on with 2.0 vaux engined on 45s in his class,

Im not really after hardcore performance on this build, i may loose a little using 40s not 45s but im not that fussed

welshpug

should have stuck with the 8v then surely....

johniban

should have stuck with the 8v then surely....

no..

johniban

8v engine was knakard, old and tired , the engine loom was all bodged and missing bits, the costs of parts to do a propper rebuild (to my own standards) new or rebored liners, piston rings ect machining work out weighed the cost that i could buy a whole xsara vts engine with gearbox and wiring loom for.

i like the 2.0 engine for personal preference.

i also like the 1.9 8v for it revvness but it just wasnt worth saving or spending aload of money on,

i still have the original engine and one day i will rebuild it most probably but for now in this car im sticking to an engine then is nearly ready to go apart from the conversion parts and i still have money in my pocket.

end of the day im never going to sell this car as it was my dads so everything im doing to it is all personal preference, im doing it because i want to, not becos the bloke down the pub said ill get an extra 10bhp for fitting throttle bodies ect.

GLPoomobile

Mei, stop being an antogonist.

I was thinking about this the other day, so funny that this little bickering debate popped up here. All these years people have been going on about carbs being a thing of the past and you "must" have ITBs these days as they are reliable, only need mapped once blah blah blah. I'm sure there's truth in that if you get a really good quality setup that is perfectly mapped. But in the years I've been a member on here, and all the project threads I've followed, and the countless threads I've read, it seems to me that a heck of a lot of people have problems with their ITB setups on regularly used cars. Whether it be simple things like failing sensors, or things moving out of place, or somehow the map resetting itself. Seems to me that an ITB setup is not quite the robust solution that people make it out to be. Granted they do have lots of benefits, but I think people shouldn't kid themselves on that they are "fit and forget".

• Like 2

johniban

for a start, i dont have £1000 lying around to spend on the bodies alone

then the £600 for an ecu plus say £200 for loom the £100ph mapping at usually 4 hours.

compared to my £400 complete set up that i can get running and set up my self

johniban

people on here just seem to be telling me what i should be using rather than giving me advise on what i want to use. i dont want to stick to the 8v, hence i have got a 16v engine, i dont want throttle bodies hence i have carbs

Juttie205

I know what you mean people kept telling me to scrap my shell instead of repairing it stick to what you want to do as its your car.

Anthony

At the end of the day, you should do what you want to do - it's your car after all, not anyone elses.

If you want a GTi-6 engine on twin 40's, then go for it.

To me personally, it does seem a little backwards retrofitting carbs onto an engine such as a GTi-6 that had a modern well developed fuel injection setup as standard, but that's just my opinion and like a**eholes, everyone has one. There's no question that the soundtrack is glorious with a pair of Webers gulping air and gargling fuel though, if quite different to the distinctive bark of a ITB setup.

I will be interested to see how you get on though, and how the finished result compares with one running standard injection. I had always been led to believe that the practical limit for twin 40's was somewhere around 140-150hp without resorting to chokes so big that part-throttle fuelling was horribly compromised, but since you've got the parts there's no harm in giving it a go - after all, the worst that can happen is that the end result isn't what you hoped and that you perhaps have to look at going down a different avenue.

I do miss the noise of the twin 40's I had on my 205 when it was still running a cammed 1.6 8v :)

johniban

I'm not really sure on what Bhp it will make once it's all up and running I may think about going to 45s

johniban

Facet silver top fuel pump purchased and filter king regulator and filter.

null_zpsa76a583c.jpg