• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smckeown

Finally Mapped...

Jonmurgie
You sure ?

Yes, as I'm reffering to a MODIFIED Mi16 that's has as much as you've spent on yours spent on it :)

Nice graphs though, clearly shows how well it stacks up to standard 1.9 8v and standard Mi16 ;)

smckeown
Yes, as I'm reffering to a MODIFIED Mi16 that's has as much as you've spent on yours spent on it :)

Seems a silly comparison that Jon. Can you get an mi16 rebuilt to an extremely high standard, showing as much power and torque and be reliable on the track oil surge wise for the same money ? Actually you can, but not many people know the answer :)

Nice graphs though, clearly shows how well it stacks up to standard 1.9 8v and standard Mi16 ;)

Yeah thanks guys for digging out the official figures, wouldn't have been credible comparison otherwise.

Jonmurgie

OK OK.. but I didn't START the Mi16 power comparison... and at the end of the day as your said time again (and I agree) that peak power isn't everything, it's about how it delivers it ;)

Get it through it's MoT, get on the track, get some miles on the engine, get it back on the dyno and get those dips in torque sorted out and enjoy the car like I know you will :)

Sandy

I'd choose 8v for the better noise and have done!

Ahl

Glad you got it sorted finally Sean - can't complain with those specs. ;)

maxi

Sean, it would be nice to compare it to my mi as weighing in at 1090Kgs my car is around the same power to weight as you. I made 216BHP on a hot run with 174Ibft torque, 175BHP @ wheels...........

Good on you for getting it all together mate!

Maxi

smckeown

cheers adam, i'm well chuffed with it. Yours seems a great achievement also. I suppose 1/4 miles times are a good comparison. I'll keep my eye out for something organsied here or PSOOC.

veloce200

Great result. The reality is that the 8v can provide more than enough power on a modest budget and there is such a good supply of them I say we welcome in a new era of 8 valves and big cams !

long live the 8v :blush:

Ahl
Great result. The reality is that the 8v can provide more than enough power on a modest budget

Modest budget?

veloce200
Modest budget?

Yes I should qualify that. My logic is this - IMO the first thing anyone should buy is an ECU, whatever engine they have - it makes every future mod easily mapped.

Based on the fact that Sean's engine is essentially std 1.9 8v (rods, liners - cast piston I think?) the main mods are cam and head and exhaust plus throttle bodies. I think what it demonstrates if that 8v owners get a decent flowtested head, run a decent cam and management (not necessarily bodies) they can equal or beat MI power without the need to find what are becoming rarer and more expensive units that are not a straight swap in. I've never done the conversion but I would imagine there are quite a few associated costs. The other thing to remember is that if Sean ever decides to race his car he'll no doubt enter a series where 8v sub 2000cc compete with 1600cc 16v.

Edited by veloce200

veloce200

I carefully considered the MI option for my forthcoming engine build but always wanted the following:

- very hot cam (I like the noise and character a hot cam give to an engine)

- ability to hit 8000rpm

- durable - no oil surge issues

to get above with MI route involves considerable expense so although outright, 16v will always "win" the HP race I think there's life in the old dog yet! Also Sean's route of light weight is crucial. I reckon that given the choice of 750kg 167 hp and 900 kg 200 hp (eg Iron block MI, caged with carpets and seats) I know which would be more fun and quicker round a circuit.

Rippthrough
I carefully considered the MI option for my forthcoming engine build but always wanted the following:

- very hot cam (I like the noise and character a hot cam give to an engine)

- ability to hit 8000rpm

- durable - no oil surge issues

to get above with MI route involves considerable expense so although outright, 16v will always "win" the HP race I think there's life in the old dog yet! Also Sean's route of light weight is crucial. I reckon that given the choice of 750kg 167 hp and 900 kg 200 hp (eg Iron block MI, caged with carpets and seats) I know which would be more fun and quicker round a circuit.

But chances are the mi would be the same weight :angry:

smckeown
But chances are the mi would be the same weight :angry:

no chance

Rippthrough
no chance

So if you'd gone Mi16 instead of 8v it wouldn't weigh almost the same?!

Why?

Jonmurgie

No more than 15kg's heavier... but I think Sean is refering to 'no chance' of him going for a 16v :)

smckeown

No i was referring to the engine weight difference. If I was starting again, it would be the XU9J4 with the PeterT's oil surge solution.

Rippthrough
No i was referring to the engine weight difference. If I was starting again, it would be the XU9J4 with the PeterT's oil surge solution.

Hence why I said almost. 15kg in a 750kg car is almost in my book.

Edited by Rippthrough

veloce200

there are some things I am not prepared to strip out of mine - I simply love my leccy windows! When my mate is sweating in his golf with his perspexs and I wind the leccys down and remind him the pug is still over 100 kg lighter than his it does piss him off !

smckeown

i remember my last polycarb'd 205 wasnt too bad. but with the recent weather we've had, i may consider a roof scoop in the future

James_m
Sean, it would be nice to compare it to my mi as weighing in at 1090Kgs my car is around the same power to weight as you. I made 216BHP on a hot run with 174Ibft torque, 175BHP @ wheels...........

Good on you for getting it all together mate!

Maxi

Why is it so heavy?

James.

veloce200
i remember my last polycarb'd 205 wasnt too bad. but with the recent weather we've had, i may consider a roof scoop in the future

white is way forward for the heatwave. been using mine as a daily driver and it's not been too bad.

yeah nice NACA duct in the roof designed with an extractor fan to generate downforce !

Sandy

On my far from scientific scales, the 1.8 16v bare engine weighed the same as the 1.9 8v that came out.

veloce200
On my far from scientific scales, the 1.8 16v bare engine weighed the same as the 1.9 8v that came out.

isn't the 1.8 an iron block? I would imagine that should be significanty heavier with Iron block and much bigger head? Don't plan on using your scales to cornerweight Sandy - you could end up with an Oval spec car !

Sean's weightloss has been very thorough and I imagine there are few other track day spec cars as light so he'll really notice it on the corners. In sprints the under 1.4 class often beat the under 2 litre class with lower power and lower power to weight ratios. As an example a 130hp AX has been quicker than a 220hp Clio - and both are very consistent and quick drivers. Ultimately it's all very well having more grunt but you've got to able to enter the corner fast and get on the gas early.

Edited by veloce200

Sandy
isn't the 1.8 an iron block? I would imagine that should be significanty heavier with Iron block and much bigger head? Don't plan on using your scales to cornerweight Sandy - you could end up with an Oval spec car !

Don't get too carried away! It's an alloy block (later casting which seems to be more wasted), the crank, rods, flywheel and pistons are all lighter than the 1.9. I weighed them back to back in the smae way. If there is a difference, it'll be less than 5kg.

veloce200
Don't get too carried away! It's an alloy block (later casting which seems to be more wasted), the crank, rods, flywheel and pistons are all lighter than the 1.9. I weighed them back to back in the smae way. If there is a difference, it'll be less than 5kg.

ok i stand corrected ! :)