• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGugly

Trigger Wheel And Vrs Mounting

PUGugly

Just about to buy a lightweight 5 3/4" trigger wheel from trigger-wheels.com. Any body mounted one of these before and also the vrs sensor?? Any advice and escpecially pictures would be gratefully received.

cybernck

you mean something like this (mattsav's)?

post-4-1162662387_thumb.jpg

PUGugly

Yeah thats the one!! So I can just bolt the trigger wheel onto the crank pulley and mount the VRS on the sump. Looks easy now!! Thanks :D

cybernck

you must make sure to get it aligned with flywheel in terms of rotation.

PUGugly
you must make sure to get it aligned with flywheel in terms of rotation.

Surely it will rotate the same as the fly wheel anyway as its connected to the same crank as the flywheel or am I missing something?

Looks like the trigger wheel is mounted between the pulley and the block. I was thinking of mounting it on the outside of the pulley wheel or will this cause problems?

welshpug

what he means is make sure that the trigger gap is in the right place, i.e. when the engine is at TDC, or a few degrees after (cant remember which)

jonnie205

yes make sure you fully understand the relationship between the position of the sensor, missing tooth and engine position.

then you can work out exactly how and where to mount the sensor.

check it again and again before you drill/make any brackets, if its wrong it'll be a pain to put right!

MartinM

Full instructions are supplied about the sensor, missing tooth and engine position!!

Mounting it outside the pulley wheel is fine, but makes changing the alternator belt a bit tricky - you really need some sort of q/release mechanism on the sensor to get it out the way and then back again at exactly the same point

smckeown

if you are going this route, then you might as well take advantage of a lighter fly with no timing teeth ;)

PUGugly
if you are going this route, then you might as well take advantage of a lighter fly with no timing teeth :)

Thought the teeth on the flywheel were for the started to mesh with?

Had a look at mounting the trigger wheel today. Looks like the missing tooth should be positioned 90 dg's BTDC if Dave Walkers book on engine management is anything to go by.

cybernck

not THOSE teeth, but the other (long) ones.

PUGugly
not THOSE teeth, but the other (long) ones.

oh, i must have a diff flywheel as mine only have one set of teeth on!! :)

MartinM
Had a look at mounting the trigger wheel today. Looks like the missing tooth should be positioned 90 dg's BTDC if Dave Walkers book on engine management is anything to go by.

If it's for a Megajolt, the missing tooth gap should be 90 degrees after the sensor when the engine is at TDC.

(what actually needs to happen is that the sensor and the missing tooth gap should align when the engine is at 90 BTDC, but that is very hard/impossible to set up accurately with the head on)

Edited by MartinM

PUGugly
If it's for a Megajolt, the missing tooth gap should be 90 degrees after the sensor when the engine is at TDC.

(what actually needs to happen is that the sensor and the missing tooth gap should align when the engine is at 90 BTDC, but that is very hard/impossible to set up accurately with the head on)

Cheers Martin!!

I know I keep asking.... but any news yet mate? Really keen to get started!!!

Rippthrough
Cheers Martin!!

I know I keep asking.... but any news yet mate? Really keen to get started!!!

Surely you can get started anyway?

We've already prepped the loom, sorted the sensor and wheel, and run up a couple of maps to try.

Should be plug and play when they turn up ;)

-Phillip

MartinM
Surely you can get started anyway?

-Phillip

Only if I have the parts :P

But they arrived this lunchtime! (well I had to go get them from the local Parcelforce depot as it looks like the import duty charge letter has been lost in the post ;) )

But....I'm working away from home at the moment, so can't start the build until Friday at the earliest.

You'll have a PM in a mo...

Rippthrough
But....I'm working away from home at the moment, so can't start the build until Friday at the earliest.

;)

parts delays! Better be a dicount for that :P

PUGugly
Only if I have the parts :D

But they arrived this lunchtime! (well I had to go get them from the local Parcelforce depot as it looks like the import duty charge letter has been lost in the post :o )

You'll have a PM in a mo...

Let me know where to post the cheque to then pls mate!

Sign in to follow this